1 2 3
AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/22 9:51 p.m.

I'd agree that if he's at least 99% certain that the car isn't stolen, just keep looking around for a notary that gets his situation. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/15/22 10:01 p.m.

If I'm reading correctly,  the PA officially won't progress further with the car because it lacks a MD notary stamp, 

This makes me think the solution lies in finding a friendly MD notary who will work the paper in a way that makes the paper MD-correct which in turn will then make PA happy when you arrive with correct paper.

So, direct question to Cutris...  Do you need a friendly notary in MD or do you need a friendly notary in PA?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/22 10:56 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I don't believe that it's stolen, I believe that it's ripe to be stolen by the initial seller. If they knew it couldn't be titled, throw a GPS tracker on it, then they know that it's not likely to be insured (as it won't be tagged). 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/15/22 11:45 p.m.

Not sure if it makes a difference in your, well his, situation, but I noticed many answers using "salvage" and "rebuilt" interchangeably. In AL a salvage title is one that can not be tagged. Has to be rebuilt by a "professional " shop. A rebuilt title is a former wreck, that has been fixed (by a "professional " shop) and is now marked on the title (looks same otherwise) and a tag a fixed on the car as "rebuilt". Can be tagged, sold, whatever. 

is this title (and corresponding b.o. s. ) still a salvage vehicle, or is a legitimate "rebuilt". 

May be a moot point up there. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/16/22 7:29 a.m.

Since he's close to Harrisburg, did he try going to PennDOT itself? I've bought numerous cars from out of state, and several from MD. I've never, ever had to get a title notarized. Just bring the signed MD title in and they processed it.

Now, if you're telling me a salvage certificate is different I wouldn't know that as I've never done it. But I find it hard to believe they require a notary stamp on a salvage cert when they don't give a fig on a title.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/16/22 7:49 a.m.

As a former PAer, are we 100% sure that is needs a MD notary, and not just any notary. I have used NJ/PA/MD/NY notaries before with zero issue. Secondly, becoming a notary is rather cheap and quick, and I think technically your son is allowed notarize it for himself. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 8:46 a.m.

It should be a case of any notary being able to stamp it. I've had out of state titles stamped by an ohio notary. 

the dumb thing here is PA requiring a notarized BOS to transfer a rebuilt vehicle when maryland  does not, you just sign the title and move on. 

Find an understanding notary, get the BOS stamped, get the kid his title. E36 M3 if I were a notary I would have told you to mail it to me. This is definitely a case of the state overstepping its bounds when there is supposed to be reciprocity for the laws of the state the vehicle was purchased from. Get a notary that believes in civil disobedience and get it done

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 8:51 a.m.

We ran into some issues when it can time to register SanFord. The first person we talked to wanted a notarized letter showing that the person who signed the title for the trust was allowed to do so. The PO was more than happy to help, but the trust had dissolved 10 years prior, and the person that signed for the trust was dead. We were at an impasse. 

A trip to a different and smaller DMV out in the country solved that problem. The lady at the counter was willing to take the documents at face value and transfer the title. 

I would head out of town and see if a smaller more understanding DMV would be willing to help. Don't tell them what you are trying to do, just trust that maybe they don't know the rules quite as well as the city people do. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 9:01 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

As a former PAer, are we 100% sure that is needs a MD notary, and not just any notary. I have used NJ/PA/MD/NY notaries before with zero issue. Secondly, becoming a notary is rather cheap and quick, and I think technically your son is allowed notarize it for himself. 

Can't notarize your own documents (at least in Ohio).

As an Ohio notary I can notarize any document as long as I notarize it within Ohio, for example if the seller happened to drive from Maryland to Ohio to get it notarized before delivering the car to PA...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 9:07 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

or maybe the seller was temporarily residing in ohio for a gig position.....

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/16/22 9:44 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Quick (very quick, might need to confirm) search says that PA does not prohibit notarizing for a child, only a spouse. That could be a route to go too. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 1:09 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

if you and your nephew went to the PA notary I think you might come out OK , 

being an 18 year old kid by himself  is not helping....

Good Luck

We actually did this today.  I stopped in at the DMV notary yesterday and told him the story.  His response was to stop in today and he would notarize it for us.  He seemed to think it was one of those times where it was obvious that it wasn't a moral dilemma.  We stopped in today and he said that the title was defaced and he couldn't do it.  I can't figure out why he thought the title was defaced and he wouldn't say.  I think he just changed his mind and made up an excuse.

8/16/22 1:12 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

But you don't want a title, you want a salvage certificate.  So that you can get the enhanced inspection, and then a branded title. 

I don't think that's the case... at least not according to the PennDOT website.  It has already been rebuilt and retitled in MD.  It should just be a title transfer.  I don't think it needs to go through a second salvaging process.

8/16/22 1:14 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Uncle David (Forum Supporter) :

It's why I asked if the title is filled out or blank. 

It's filled out.  Seller and my nephew both filled out their parts.

8/16/22 1:21 p.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

250% sure.  6 DMV notaries have told us that it needs a stamp, (but were unwilling to do it) and the rules on PennDOT's website say it needs to be notarized.

Notarizing for yourself (in PA anyway) is a fast track to potential jail time.  Big no-no.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
8/16/22 1:22 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

But you don't want a title, you want a salvage certificate.  So that you can get the enhanced inspection, and then a branded title. 

I don't think that's the case... at least not according to the PennDOT website.  It has already been rebuilt and retitled in MD.  It should just be a title transfer.  I don't think it needs to go through a second salvaging process.

Sure seems like it'd be simpler than whatever is going on now...

8/16/22 1:25 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Sure seems like it'd be simpler than whatever is going on now...

Very true.

Last time I got a salvage certificate, I took an unsigned title to DOT from an out of state car.  No research, they just issued a salvage cert so I could take it for recycling.  Strange how I could have stolen a car and title and received a salvage cert with $5 and 15 minutes of my time, yet my nephew can't get a title without a notarized BOS.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
8/16/22 10:46 p.m.

Repeating what has been said: 

Transfer the MD title to Vermont with associated details, then transfer Vt title to PA.

If you check adds in back of Hemmings there are some lawyers who will do all this for a fee.

My father got an unobtainable PA title for a vehicle he legally owned by paying a lawyer to do this process for him. 

I'm not sure there is any other answer.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/17/22 9:31 a.m.

It sounds like Evanb has the answer. Notarized by him in Ohio.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i0h7fM8bQnF4kxVFNGw2Aim5Uy3PsOL3AoNCNIGRKOG23ou1h4pGmpW5RgMPmb4U