Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
7/4/12 8:23 p.m.

So the muffler parted ways with the pipe on my mothers 2004 Impreza 2.5RS.

Need to get at least the muffler and that section of pipe for it.

Not wanting something cheap that will rust off quickly (they put down LOTS of salt where she lives) I looked into what the stealership wanted. I stopped after finding out the PARTS ALONE were ~$950

Trying rockauto, it looks like they only have the system for the wagon (ours is a sedan).

I can bolt the thing on myself! I want to get this done on the cheap. (my dime as I have been borrowing the car a lot)

Where else can I look for this?

Junkyard hunting is difficult as the car is at her house 3 hours away and hauling a pipe in my miata would be problematic.

Should I just have a local shop put something together? (have REALLY not cared for exhaust shop work I have seen.)

Car is a 2004 Subaru 2.5rs Sedan Automatic. Where can I find the dang muffler+pipe?!?!?!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/12 8:27 p.m.

Check to see if the aftermarket WRX exhausts will fit an RS. If so, that means that you can probably replace the original RS muffler with a stock WRX muffler. And there are a ton of almost new take-off WRX exhaust systems taking up space in guys' garages. I see them on Craigslist all the time.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
7/4/12 8:28 p.m.

If they put down alot of salt where they live, then any aftermarket non-stainless exhaust will rust out PDQ. In those cases, I just have a muffler shop fab up something for me, They are usually dirt cheap to the point of being cheaper than me just buying the parts at my cost.

Woody
7/4/12 8:29 p.m.

Or, ask if they will fit on NASIOC.

internetautomart
7/4/12 9:19 p.m.

after a little research, the WRX/STi rear section is different than the rear section on the Sedan/wagon.

Woody
7/4/12 9:47 p.m.

Is the difference more than just a single vs. dual outlet?

internetautomart
7/4/12 10:23 p.m.

yeah it is. The sedan got a curvy pipe, the wrx got a straight pipe

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
7/5/12 10:06 a.m.

Looks like I might be hosed... Have to talk to a shop and see.

Just wish I could order the bloody pipe off the internets.

failboat
failboat Dork
7/5/12 11:00 a.m.

is this some sort of special exhaust? forgive me, I dont know subies that well only that the 2.5rs is sporty looking. I take it you tried all the other stores, advance/autozone/napa etc?

my 'rents needed to replace part of the exhaust on mom's ride to pass inspection, they got quoted a price for repair at the local service place that did the inspection. For some reason they told my dad the part numbers too, or they were quoted on the work order or something. I googled the part numbers and found the exact same parts at Autozone for 1/3 of what the shop was charging for the parts, so they ordered them with free shipping and took them back to be installed.

internetautomart
7/5/12 12:08 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Looks like I might be hosed... Have to talk to a shop and see. Just wish I could order the bloody pipe off the internets.

you can, both AP (carquest) and Autopart international list part #s

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/5/12 8:33 p.m.

Bet you can go with an aftermarket muffler and have a local shop bend some pipes to fit up. Many years ago when we were in college, my wife had a Geo Storm and there was apparently only 1 manufacturer of a stock replacement system. Every place we checked (dealer, chain muffler shops, local garages, etc.) wanted $635-$650 for parts + installation. Found a Pacesetter cat back system with a 4" fart pipe for $125 shipped and paid a local shop to install it. Total cost was 1/4 to 1/3 of the quotes I'd gotten. If I had somewhere to do it myself it would have only cost $125 + $5 for WD-40 + a steak dinner.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/6/12 12:23 p.m.
Woody wrote: Check to see if the aftermarket WRX exhausts will fit an RS. If so, that means that you can probably replace the original RS muffler with a stock WRX muffler. And there are a ton of almost new take-off WRX exhaust systems taking up space in guys' garages. I see them on Craigslist all the time.

Re: WRX vs. RS mufflers -- I don't know about Subaru, but Saab 900 non-turbo and Turbo mufflers are different because the turbocharger cuts down on some of the noise; therefore, if you put a 900 Turbo muffler on a non-turbo, the car is pretty loud. Could that be the case with a WRX muffler on an RS? I dunno.

Just a thought.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1HP8QnNhxyMtiBw0NhgIlEj8eLrL6Rln0eSp6AfU1nLB8bdLLvvDiXOAwmVucYqO