Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
5/7/16 12:49 p.m.

Wondering if this is common? Figured I'd check the history on my '91 blazer as I have a carfax account. It came up as having 0 history records.. thought was was odd as I've never seen that.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/7/16 1:09 p.m.

My 92 E34 had 285K miles when I sold it..... but carfax only showed one entry at 15 miles when the car was delivered to the dealer.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/7/16 2:04 p.m.

Having recently completed a search for a new "family truckster", I'm pretty unimpressed with Carfax. We looked at several used cars that had clearly been in substantial accidents but had no Carfax entries. Not sure about the title history portion of their service, but collision reporting appears far from foolproof.

To be fair, most vehicles we were looking at were former "fleet vehicles", so they may have been internal/self-pay repairs.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/7/16 2:27 p.m.

In 06 when we purchased my wifes saturn it was just off 2 year lease and had a clean carfax. The car has diffrent pinstriping on the driver side quarter panel and had a bad leak into the trunk.

We had them fix the trunk seal before purchase but that still isnt on the carfax either.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/7/16 6:11 p.m.

Depends on who reports to CarFax.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
5/8/16 9:52 a.m.

I have a perfectly fine na miata for sale and some potential buyer hung his hat on stupid stuff he saw in the car fax report. I have all the maintenance records for the two previous owners but he was all worked up over the report which he claimed it wasn't registered for a period of time. Ugggg. I'd rather just keep the car than deal with such people.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/8/16 1:35 p.m.

I'm mostly just curious about how many owners and crap. I figured Carfax would at least report that because it goes with the Vin? If carfax shows 0 reports.. That's damn interesting to me because that's usually there at least.

edit - maybe they F*** up the Vin on my registration card. I should reference it against my blazer. (that's prob what happened)

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/19 7:39 a.m.

I have 2 cars that I bought brand new and have never ever touched a dealer or indy after that. The Carfax has no entries on either of them. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/18/19 9:01 a.m.

Our '92 Bronco has nothing on the Carfax except for an alignment I had done at a local shop when we bought it.  It all depends on the reporting...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/18/19 9:30 a.m.

In California the smog check seems to be on the Carfax with the mileage when it was checked , 

Helps a little , especially when after 2 years the mileage is 40,000 miles LESS than the last smog check !

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
5/18/19 7:18 p.m.

You can also pay Carfax to remove selected entries, like branded titles.  Watched my old boss do it on a salvaged Ram 1500 he bought to fix and flip. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/19/19 6:58 a.m.

Carfax is a tool, not the word of God though a lot of consumers treat it as the latter.

underpowered
underpowered GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/19/19 7:12 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

You can also pay Carfax to remove selected entries, like branded titles.  Watched my old boss do it on a salvaged Ram 1500 he bought to fix and flip. 

Yep, there are whole businesses that exist just for this.  Carfax is a joke.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9Uj6IC0GRNLOr442ooZMLmdgZFGth0k9WT5ijTJKJaaPvWQyfIpqMMk04upk6na