1 2
Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/20 11:05 a.m.

Yeah, they are around $100, but i was just suggesting that if someone didn't mind the cheaper dollies other than jacking things on and off of them, something like this would be cheaper than buying 4 of the ~$100 self-jacking dollies. I dont personally know anyone who has an air jack for home use, but i also don't see why not. I think most people just don't realize they exist. They're used in shops somewhat frequently. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 5:06 p.m.

Necromanced the thread, sorry.

Any recommendation for non-HF alternatives to the gray HF dollies? I just did an involuntary tour of the majority of three HFs with in reasonable distance that were all showing stock, and all had sold out...

1/24/21 3:45 p.m.

The fount of wisdom that is the tubes of You seems to have better things to say about these than the HF ones, so I've ordered a set. What I really wanted was a set of GoJaks, but I'm not feeling that flush right now.

I'll report back how well the Pentagon dollies fare, and if they get delivered by black helicopter...

CatDaddy
CatDaddy New Reader
1/25/21 5:14 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Not exactly what you're asking for but I've been using the 1000lb furniture dollies from Harbor Freight for my car and they roll nicely. Haven't had any issues rolling it around by myself! 

18x12 haul Master 

1/31/21 9:39 a.m.

In reply to CatDaddy :

Interesting. I've seen them mentioned but I wasn't sure they'd work that well on the Maxton with its relatively small wheels.

Anyway, we have lift-off, err, lift-up:

Verdict so far - they roll reasonably well. The main issue I was having is that for some reason, it's relatively easy to turn the car on them, but moving the car straight forward and backward seems to be a bit of an exercise. Got it done though, and I managed to turn the car by 90 degrees. It felt like the rollers were pretty stiff and I may have to grease them a bit more. Overall I'm pretty happy with them, but very likely am going to spring for a set of GoJaks to move the other cars around. One of the unforeseen issues is that I really can't take the Maxton off the dollies when it's in its new parking spot because I can't get the jack under the rear axle. Oops. Definitely operator error, though.

2/7/21 4:31 p.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/21 12:50 a.m.

Turning vs forward/backward starting effort just has to do with how many of the caster wheels are having to 'steer' at the same time to line up with the new direction. Generally once you have all the casters pointed the same way it will start rolling easily. 

2/10/21 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

I'll have to give it another shot then - you can see at some places in the video that I'm tyring to align the casters. I think some of this is just practise.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/10/21 11:06 a.m.

As noted, I used the type as shown in the video above.  I needed to align the casters (using a large screwdriver seemed to be the easiest) to move the car (2500ish lbs) in different directions.  I upgraded to the yellow (rear) and grey (front, lighter) casters from HF.  They roll and turn much easier, but you still need to bump the car a bit to get the casters to turn in some situations.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HB4HSzv8RzhXjFfvE0pC310WLc6PNs8SeQF9VneECWPtjDPshagxeJ1gSqpSpeTo