1 2 3 4 5 6
jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/20/09 12:55 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: there's no way I could forget the usual Miatas ...nothing on that list could carry a mountain bike

Really,
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1177020822035467440dRKQVF?vhost=rides

WilD
WilD Reader
11/20/09 1:15 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: I'm not talking mortgaging your house or casually thinking about how nice it would be to have a Ferrari 328.

Actually, That car for me is a Ferrari 308 GTS. I expect the experience to be a disaster, but one that must be experienced.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
11/20/09 1:17 p.m.

E30 M3, no doubt.

However, as we all are constantly looking for the next GRM-style project, a 1960 Datsun Pickup Wagon (sliding glass windows in back, 1200cc's of love) on eBay right now has my attention. Add to that, my browser just keeps on checking on the auction. Right now ~$104, located only 30 miles away... Ready for a KA24 and Frontier/240sx running gear. Hmmmmm...

I seem to develop the 'itch' about every 9 months or so to increase the fleet...

Eric G

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/20/09 5:05 p.m.

That car for me would be a 1st gen MR2. I already have 2 registered cars 3 would be bordering on insane, and I am not willing to get rid of one to get the MR2. Too much time and $$ invested in the Supra to get rid of it, plus I reaaaaaaaaly love that car, and the E36 is there for fun and the practicality of a 4 door sedan to carry family and friends which the MR2 does not offer. So I basically can't have the MR2 I want. Plus prices are starting to creep up and supplies of both cars and parts are dwindling.

The runner up prize goes to a widebody starion, dang those things are neat, except for the TBI part.

2 Autoxing MK2 Supra avatars in a row for the WIN!!!!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/20/09 11:01 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I realy like the look of these, and there is one thats been sitting at a garage near me for quite some time, but I strongly suspect that if I ever had one it would just make me wish that I had gotten another SAAB or Datsun instead

Is the one you're looking at really a Quattro, or a (FWD) Coupe GT? A real Quattro would be worth saving. A Coupe GT is still a cool car, but they're not nearly as valuable.

And a conversion would be a really tough job..the unibody pan is completely different behind the front seats.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/20/09 11:50 p.m.

Seeing the Quattro made me think of another one: a Lancia Delta Integrale. Sure, not allowed in the US until it's 25 years old, but would still be fun to import when it becomes eligible. Lancia's reputation and getting parts for it in the US, though...

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/09 7:12 a.m.

For me, a nice 4L 5-speed Wrangler Sahara.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/21/09 7:21 a.m.

In reply to Slyp_Dawg:

I went from an rsx-s to the ms3, and looked t wrxs as well. The acura was a 25 INS number, the wrx sedan was a 24, and both the ms3 and wrx wagon were a 22. Fwiw, a regular mazda3 hatch is a 20, so it's not (or it wasn't at the time) that drastic of a difference, so long as you keep away from the sedan

1966stang
1966stang New Reader
11/21/09 8:29 a.m.

Clean 240-z

Air cooled 911

Mk 2 Supra

FFR Cobra

66 Mustang ragtop

Chevrolet Cobalt SS

All cars I lust after but probably won't wind up buying...

Chris

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/09 10:11 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
HappyAndy wrote: I realy like the look of these, and there is one thats been sitting at a garage near me for quite some time, but I strongly suspect that if I ever had one it would just make me wish that I had gotten another SAAB or Datsun instead
Is the one you're looking at really a Quattro, or a (FWD) Coupe GT? A real Quattro would be worth saving. A Coupe GT is still a cool car, but they're not nearly as valuable. And a conversion would be a really tough job..the unibody pan is completely different behind the front seats.

Yeah..and Ur-Quattro is one of those cars that will be rolling across the auction block for stupid money in a couple more decades.

The coupe GT is a neat car, but not the same.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/21/09 11:33 a.m.

A Monster Chevy Suburban. One that hauls four large dog crates and tows everything. Extra points for being a 3/4 ton or having a 454. If I find an old cabin cruiser that needs restoration I could tow it home with one of these.

It doesn't help that every time gas prices go up they have one for sale on every block here in Dallas, with the older ones in the $500 range.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/21/09 11:53 a.m.

The list is too long. Let's start at the most ridiculous first....

I tried to sell one to my wife as a "home depot" truck. But, She knows me all too well.

snowmants
snowmants New Reader
11/21/09 11:59 a.m.

I came very close to buying one of these about 4 years ago. It was totally US legal and ready to roll, but the shortage of parts for maintanence, the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side(what happens when you hit a tollbooth, try to leave a parking garage, go to a drive through bank or ATM?), and the attention the car would get from thieves and vandals ultimately dissuaded me. At the time I went with an EVO 9 MR instead, but sometimes I still regret not owning such an awesome and rare piece of racing history.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/21/09 12:44 p.m.

Sadly, the Ford Ass-pyre down the street. Need it for the hub swap on the Rusteeevuh. Too bad $150 for a "fun" car is about $149 too much right now.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/09 3:17 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: there's no way I could forget the usual Miatas ...nothing on that list could carry a mountain bike
Really, http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1177020822035467440dRKQVF?vhost=rides

I stand corrected...

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/21/09 5:00 p.m.

While the Viper GTS is out of my price range, the first generation RT-10 isn't. In fact, I like it more than all Chrysler cars ever made. Especially with those skexy talon wheels.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/21/09 5:01 p.m.
snowmants wrote:

I saw one of these at the track a couple months ago. The owner was replacing a melted vacuum hose. He says it melts vacuum hoses all the time.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/21/09 5:27 p.m.

Mazdaspeed Miata.

I don't know what the draw is.... but i crave one. Luckily, i've been able to fend it off so far. It's just frustrating. I can afford one, but the last thing i need right now is yet another impractical car. My one practical car right now, my girlfriend drives, and we're making it impractical in the spring.

kazoospec
kazoospec None
11/21/09 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Slyp_Dawg:

Another vote for the Mazdaspeed 3, but the previous gen. I just can't get past the stupid grin on the brand new ones.

1966stang
1966stang New Reader
11/21/09 7:37 p.m.

Agreed, the new car just looks STUPID, which is why I'll probably spell relief GTI when the time comes for my next car.

Chris

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
11/21/09 9:05 p.m.
gamby wrote: Lowered (if I could find the ever-diminishing suspension pieces for it) and on dished wheels--semi-VIP style. I always loved the retro-modern look of these cars. 4-cam Japanese V8 and Infiniti luxury. Sign me up. Gas mileage would keep me away from it. I commute WAY too much and need disposable beaters.

Blacked out version of this car would be amazing...good call gamby

keethrax
keethrax Reader
11/22/09 10:06 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: the new Mazdaspeed 3. there's one at the local Mazda dealership, and at ~$23K it's an absolute steal, considering it is the second most powerful car Mazda makes, and it sits roughly where the cost of a new Cooper S would be. the only thing holding me back is the fact that insurance on it would be murderous, compared to even a JCW Mini.

The insurance on mine was surprisingly cheap.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/22/09 11:10 p.m.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
11/23/09 8:49 a.m.

An 84ish bonneville, like my first car. One of the smaller but still rear wheel drive ones. Save my pennies for a ls1 and t56 conversion. Stiff springs and off we would go, hunting m5's.

Joey

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/09 10:04 a.m.

Various beaten up AW11s - it would only plunge me further into parts rarity hell.

R6 - I'm not able to kid myself into saying I'd only ride it on the track. I'd eventually be tempted to take it out onto the crappy roads with crappy drivers, and then it would probably rain.

Also 4cylndrfury, I see no reason not to buy that sweet AE86.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuTbP7CNR52kdKqCZyJZvUcd2W6Cda8WKOVzY7UJIpeT4o4QUI0MaYx6Ix8p3Qih