WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/14 10:33 p.m.

So I just picked up a new tow/plow/mulch/stone pig, a chevy 2000 2500 ls, with the turbo diesel. It has 173k on it and the previous owner seemed pretty meticulous. The power is smooth and the transmission shifts crazy smooth.

This is my first diesel vehicle, is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/14 10:36 p.m.

Check the harmonic balancer - on the 6.5, they're not very long lived (usually only about 100k). If it breaks, you'll need a new engine.

Make sure it doesn't run too cold - IIRC they inject a little more fuel until the engine temp hits about 160 degrees. A 2000 should have the dual thermostats which makes a big difference when towing. Also, check the little hose between the turbo and the intake, they tend to get brittle with age and then don't hold boost that well.

These engines were designed to be one of the first smokeless diesel engines so turning up the fuel to lay a smokescreen is a really bad idea. They also don't like having the boost turned up much either, so performance potential is limited. From what I remember, the best mods you can make is replace the downpipe and make sure everything is shipshape.

WonkoTheSane
5/4/14 10:43 p.m.

Good to know. Any particular brand balancer I want to look into? Or is a parts store one as good as any?

It got up to 190 pretty quick on the highway and just stayed there..

Looks like you just got yourself a pretty nice new truck :). I was just reading your thread.

This one is a salvage title due to some bed cosmetic damage that would have cost more than 80% of the trucks value to fix, so I get to deal with the fun of that for registering. Other than that, it's amazingly rust free. I wanted a beater, but I may have to go por15 the frame and everything...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/4/14 11:46 p.m.

Change all the fuel filters, use diesel rated oil(Shell Rotella T-6 is a good one). Keep the trans full of fresh fluid and cool.

WonkoTheSane
5/5/14 7:22 a.m.

Thanks Kenny.

Speaking of oil, what is a good oil change interval for these pigs? Go by the book, or is there some sort of internet wisdom guideline?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
5/5/14 8:48 a.m.

Be nice to it- don't work it too hard, and don't try to turn the boost up. They had a tendency to split blocks, I think. There are all sorts of aftermarket crank girdles and stud kits and so on to keep them alive.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/5/14 8:54 a.m.

I thought the GM 6.5 diesel was an izuzu motor?

WonkoTheSane
5/5/14 8:58 a.m.

No idea, it's referred to as a "Detroit Diesel" everywhere I'm reading about it...

Also, today was the first day I've gotten to start it completely stone cold. It seemed to take a bit long to turn over (I had to crank it for about 20-30 seconds). Should I be looking at glow-plugs, fuel filter, what? Any ideas? Smelled like a diesel the whole time...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/5/14 9:10 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Change all the fuel filters, use diesel rated oil(Shell Rotella T-6 is a good one). Keep the trans full of fresh fluid and cool.

This. Change fuel filters often. change oil occasionally.

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
5/5/14 9:40 a.m.

Here is the people that kind of know them the best, http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/ . As someone said, change the harmonic balancer tout suite, if it hasnt already been done, get a PMD relocation kit and actually not a bad idea to carry a spare one, do not try to "crank her up" it will just go bang( these engines do not respond well to mods really, a bit of a high flow exhaust and be done with it), use a very high quality engine oil every 5-6000km these engines love to soot up the oil and finally use a good diesel additive to keep your pump and injectors alive.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/5/14 9:42 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: I thought the GM 6.5 diesel was an izuzu motor?

It isn't.

When I first bought mine ('94 Suburban 2500), I did the PMD relocation, changed the fluids and filters, DiamondEye exhaust and some steering refreshing. I seriously love this truck. Hopefully your experience is as good as mine has been.

WonkoTheSane
5/5/14 10:08 a.m.

Cool, it has a DiamondEye 4" turbo-back, and the PMD has been relocated to the top of the manifold with a big ol' heatsink attached to the top. He showed me a relocation harness right next to it if I want to move it somewhere else, too.

What kind of additive should I be looking at?

Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
5/5/14 10:18 a.m.

A lot of my buddies with older trucks say this stuff works well enough and its cheap.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
5/5/14 10:18 a.m.

My dad's went through a few injection pumps until he started using some Stanadyne fuel conditioner in each tank of fuel. No more pumps after that. It's not cheap, but much cheaper than new pumps. Overall, his was a POS actually, but he towed heavy quite often with it. Excellent fuel economy unloaded though. High 20's to 30ish were routine (Canadian MPG).

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/6/14 7:32 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: Cool, it has a DiamondEye 4" turbo-back, and the PMD has been relocated to the top of the manifold with a big ol' heatsink attached to the top. He showed me a relocation harness right next to it if I want to move it somewhere else, too. What kind of additive should I be looking at?

I'd recommend moving the PMD out of the heat of the engine bay, personally. Mine is mounted behind the front bumper using one of the bolts for the front plate frame.

I run PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (the white bottle) every couple of tanks.

WonkoTheSane
5/6/14 7:55 a.m.
Powar wrote: I'd recommend moving the PMD out of the heat of the engine bay, personally. Mine is mounted behind the front bumper using one of the bolts for the front plate frame. I run PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (the white bottle) every couple of tanks.

The guy said he lost a PMD by having it there.. He said in the summer it was awesome, but in winter it got packed with snow when he was plowing, and it started shorting. Any other ideas? maybe onto the drivers' side fender in the engine bay? That'll keep it away from the turbo and exhaust side, anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XtE9pJ8342HMNKuImZ5kztmn0on9a2X1hscABd9TWwkwjf6A40Eb6G58FPtmq7zr