Keven
Keven New Reader
7/9/12 6:23 p.m.

What's with these car people passing away? Maybe this is what they meant by 2012 being the end of the world? Soon we will all be driving Scion xBs and Toyota Priususus?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/9/12 6:27 p.m.

Speed Racer and the Transporter, possibly.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/12 7:25 p.m.

Let's not turn this into a Death Pool.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/9/12 8:14 p.m.
Woody wrote: Let's not turn this into a Death Pool.

fair enough. I deleted my earlier comment

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/12 9:11 p.m.

This FARK headline said it best:

RIP, Cabbie

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
7/9/12 9:19 p.m.

Shelby was 89 years old, Pininfarina was 85, Porsche was 76 - it's sad to see their passing, but they all lived long lives.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
7/10/12 2:49 a.m.

As long as Isky's still kickin'.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
7/10/12 8:06 a.m.

If you ask my wife I am. Beyond that they still live. Yes the human body has an expiration date. No one knows what theirs is. Its not like picking up a carton of milk. And you check the date be for you take it home. They live in our minds and history. Perhaps until the end of mankind.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 8:08 a.m.

Mr. Shelby had a heart transplant, what, like 40 years ago? The guy was way past his expiration date, are we are all better off for it. (200mph Mustang for $50,000!)

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/10/12 10:34 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Mr. Shelby had a heart transplant, what, like 40 years ago? The guy was way past his expiration date, are we are all better off for it. (200mph Mustang for $50,000!)

Credit where credit's due... Shelby did some amazing things in his life, including some amazing things with Mustangs, but near as I know the only thing he had to do with the creation of the 2013 GT-500 was allowing his name to be put on it.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
7/10/12 12:53 p.m.

427 Cobra: Nothing like having the speedo needle north of 100 MPH while actual speed is about 55 MPH.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/12 1:01 p.m.

Norton Gaston passed on Sunday while at the Portland Historic races.

He raced at Daytona in 87 and was the go to engineer for Champ/Indy/IMSA/ALMS/SCCA when they came to the NW. He was also one of the warmest, most caring guys you'll have ever met and he helped so many local drivers with setup and a good laugh when they needed it.

He was also infamous for his practical jokes. Like getting drunk and taking all of the potted trees, from all of the floors in the host hotel and putting them in the elevators.

Or messing with Tommy Kendall's team by dressing up his customer's Camaro Trans-Am with Ron Fellow's name/number and parading it past the Kendall's pits while they were busy wrenching to get Tommy out for Qualifying after incidents took Ron and Tommy out during practice. As he put it, the sound of wrenches dropping as it went by was deafening.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=351873

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/Norton-Gaston-USA.html

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
7/10/12 1:18 p.m.

This is an easy one

John Fitch

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wpo7EfYJhXp0LtdtToavGXWtR3vSqpGLAPezpXAPnxh3kYrqDarYGdsK55y9oTF