1 2 3 4
RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/21/22 10:21 a.m.

The new Corolla GR should have a mid engined TRD version. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
12/21/22 10:25 a.m.

Hardtop convertible 2 door hatch (one LONG folding roof) with RWD based 4WD like Nissan's in the G35x. One car to do almost all.

Peabody said:

A simple 2dr hatch with a manual trans  would be nice. 

Sadly, even Ford UK is discontinuing the 3 door Fiesta.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/22 10:47 a.m.

How about an actual compact pickup?  New Rangers and Colorados are as big as GMT400s and the F150s of the 90s.

AND BRING UTES TO NORTH AMERICA!  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/21/22 10:49 a.m.

Plug in hybrid Honda Element with more towing capacity.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/21/22 10:49 a.m.

The 510 like Datsun already mentioned. And something like the S2000. Basically a larger, more powerful Miata that is still relatively affordable. 

If Subaru can build a what seems to be a 240hp or so, 2.4 liter boxer, it would be cool to see what Honda could do with a 2.5L 4cyl. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/21/22 10:52 a.m.

Some sort of factory sporty version of the XP90-chassis (2005-2010) Toyota Yaris hatchback, maybe with the 1ZZ instead of the 1NZ.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/22 10:53 a.m.

I can't think of a category that has not already been tried.

Lifted 2-Door sports coupe? Yes, the X-90 was kinda in that slot, but was more CUV than lifted car.  The new Ferrari pur-o-slang looks like a coupe, but is a 4-door.  But Porsche recently introduced the 911 Dakar, so that slot is now filled.

Convertible SUV? the Murano Cross Cabriolet. 

Electric pickups? F-150 and Rivian. 

I guess that leaves high performance diesel sports car? No one wants that. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/22 10:55 a.m.

What about a Jetta R? Seems like it would be easy to do. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
12/21/22 11:18 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Mazda would've had much better vehicles if they had put real engines in the RX7/RX8 instead of spinning triangles of no torque, no reliability, and excessive noise in them.  

After that, it just needs one more thing...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/21/22 11:40 a.m.

Modern Astro Van , real chassis , rear wheel drive  V6 , towing package 

Toyota has this size van in Asia 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/22 11:45 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

How about an actual compact pickup?  New Rangers and Colorados are as big as GMT400s and the F150s of the 90s.

AND BRING UTES TO NORTH AMERICA!  

El Camino and Ranchero....

Yes, I miss small basic trucks too...

How a new car/truck that regular people can actually afford? Out the door for under 20k....

What happened to interoirs? Even the cheapest cars in the 70s and 80s got a padded armrest and a vynil covered door card. Didn't take much to option up to a fabric one either. Now everything is hard molded plastic unless you spent 80k..

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/21/22 11:51 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Modern Astro Van , real chassis , rear wheel drive  V6 , towing package 

Toyota has this size van in Asia 

Low roof Ford Transit?

2023 Ford Transit Cargo Van Prices, Reviews, and Pictures | Edmunds

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/21/22 12:00 p.m.

The low roof Transit is cool , I guess we could add the Transit flatbed and all the other options they have in Europe , 

But  an Astro is not as wide as a full size Chevy Express van or the Transit, just makes it easier to drive around town and park but still has a lot of space inside.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
12/21/22 12:03 p.m.

I'm waiting for the thread, "Cars that exist that you wish they didn't"

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/21/22 12:07 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

The low roof Transit is cool , I guess we could add the Transit flatbed and all the other options they have in Europe , 

But  an Astro is not as wide as a full size Chevy Express van or the Transit, just makes it easier to drive around town and park but still has a lot of space inside.

The Transit is ~3 inches wider than the Astro. Not sure that you'd really notice the difference. The length would be a bigger adjustment I'd think (but longer wheelbase might be more comfortable towing).

And you can get a "cutaway" transit and put whatever bed or workbody on it that you want:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/21/22 12:11 p.m.

Two from the modern Ford camp:

A Ford Mustang with the GT350 suspension, GT350 carbon fiber wheels and bodywork, 2.3L EcoBoost engine, electric motors for torque vectoring on the front wheels, and an electric torque-filling motor between the engine and trans. When Ford first announced the Mustang Mach E name, this was what my mind jumped to.

A more hardcore Ford Focus ST to bridge the gap between the ST and the RS. Leave the horsepower alone and leave it FWD, but add a mechanical LSD, the bigger brakes off the RS, and some more aggressive suspension tuning.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/21/22 12:39 p.m.
Peabody said:

With rear wheel drive. Something like a hatchback FRS with an inline engine or a modern version of the FB and FC RX-7 or 944.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/22 1:28 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

A small car that is quiet inside; I love hot hatches but a boomy interior adds nothing to the experience.

First generation Volvo S40 or Infiniti G20.  A friend had a G20, I had an S40.  Not hatches, but still "executive compact".

I agree, this is a woefully underpopulated market segment.  There was also thr 318ti, which was kind of a tinny E36 M3box, and the C230 Compact, and I say "the" because I think they sold one here smiley

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/22 3:09 p.m.

RX-9

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
12/21/22 4:03 p.m.

A minivan version of the Ford Maverick. 

The Maverick is already nearly minivan exterior dimensions, just with less usable interior and cargo space. A minivan with the Ecoboost and AWD options would be sweet.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/21/22 5:03 p.m.
Peabody said:

Really?  You sure?

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
12/21/22 5:59 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Tom1200 said:

A small car that is quiet inside; I love hot hatches but a boomy interior adds nothing to the experience.

First generation Volvo S40 or Infiniti G20.  A friend had a G20, I had an S40.  Not hatches, but still "executive compact".

I agree, this is a woefully underpopulated market segment.  There was also thr 318ti, which was kind of a tinny E36 M3box, and the C230 Compact, and I say "the" because I think they sold one here smiley

Those really aren't small; I'm talking Honda Fit, Mazda 2 size things. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
12/21/22 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If everything old becomes new again, when do rear window louvers come back?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/22 7:34 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Tom1200 said:

Those really aren't small; I'm talking Honda Fit, Mazda 2 size things. 

I do agree!  But "small" is kind of relative, too.  The G20 was effectively a B13 SE-R. The S40 was a Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Mirage(LanEvo III wink)

The problem is that it doesn't cost much more to make a large car as a small one.  So the profit margins are razor thin on small cars, if not actually negative.  People might balk at a $50,000 Fit.  People only spend that kind of money on a Civic if they throw a lot of wings and ugly trim and nostalgia at them.

It took SAAB-type people to spend large money on boring yet high quality smallish 4 cylinder cars, and look what that got SAAB.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/21/22 7:36 p.m.

...they didn't bring the Blazer to market until '73, and it was full-size.

You aren't familiar with pre 1973 Blazers ?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lI0LssorJZ1mJNbby1KkaNBHFJBkNpgOwgVM6bO0nsglzs6eybn0jRPrrntjR7b6