SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/14 12:29 p.m.

I ran out of heavy duty shop bulbs, so I grabbed a CFL off the shelf. It works rather descent.

I know this isn't anything new, but it's my first time using one.

I know there are florescent and LED drop lamps out there now, but my old school incandescent bulb style is in good shape, so why not use it?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/14 12:31 p.m.

I assume you mean a regular light hanging from the ceiling? No reason not to use it for that.

For a mobile light though, it's hard to recommend anything but an LED bar light nowadays. Super-low-power, no glass to break, no heat, fits into tight spaces.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/14 12:36 p.m.

I mean a light on the end of a cord.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/13/14 12:45 p.m.

CFL's don't like the cold.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/13/14 12:52 p.m.

After cooking the underside of my forearm with a ~75w incandescent bulb in my drop light 10+ years ago (had a scar in shape of the drop light's metal shield's ribs for about 3 years) I quit using incandescent bulbs in drop lights.

I use 100W equivalent CFLs, however I have been known to bust a bulb a time or two when accidentally dropping the drop light. That has it's own issues, tiny glass shards, Mercury vapor, etc. but I haven't burned myself with a drop light since.

I recently put 60W & 40W equivalent LED bulbs in the sconces either side of the garage, and over the front threshold/entry. I may go that route next time I break another CFL in my drop light.

• Lee
GameboyRMH
1/13/14 12:57 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I mean a light on the end of a cord.

Replace that with a battery-powered LED bar for the reasons I mentioned...worth it for safety alone IMO.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/14 1:28 p.m.

I've been using one in mine for years. I do occasionally break a bulb though. I recently got a $10 led bulb from IKEA to try, but it is very heavy so I'm not sure how it will work.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/13/14 1:46 p.m.

I use them as well for drop lights. They're way more durable than incandescents, the only downside is the slight health concern if broken via small mercury content. I find the other advantage as previously noted is much less heat, so you don't scald yourself on the housing if working in close proximity.

I suppose LED's will be the best at some point, but CFL's are fairly cheap, don't burn you, and hold up better than traditional "work light" incandescents.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/13/14 2:18 p.m.

I'm always knocking my drop light off whatever it's hooked to and breaking the bulb. For that reason, I'd never use a CFL bulb. Then there's the slow light-off issue, the dim issue, the cost issue, you know, all the reasons that CFLs suck.

GameboyRMH
1/13/14 2:23 p.m.

Only some of the early CFLs had the slow light-up issue and none I've used have been dim. They save lots of power and don't get hot, that's got to be worth something.

The shop where my AE92's getting work uses CFLs in these kind of lights, but they all have cages on them.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 2:24 p.m.

Sadly any more the incandescent bulbs cost as much as CFLs. CFLs have gotten cheaper and incandescents more expensive. I had to buy an incandescent for my garage door opener (CFL won't fit and it's not on enough to justify an LED) and was shocked at how much they are now! Then again $1/ea or even less for CFL bulbs is incredibly cheap.

I think an LED would be perfect for the drop light. Cree makes some awesome bulbs that are reasonably priced ($5 or so?) that I've had good luck with in my outdoor motion sensor lights. I tend to use CFLs in stand lights for most work and then battery powered stuff for the portable lights. I have an LED light bar that's nice but the light I use most is my rechargable Ryobi one that came with my multi-piece tool kit.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/13/14 2:40 p.m.

I got tired of burning my arms, and did this almost 15 years ago. The other advantage is that the bright white bulbs are much better for spot lighting than the warm light of the incandescent's.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/13/14 3:14 p.m.

Finally broke the first CFL with Ben on his damn XJ. That bulb had been in there for about 3 years. Wait... different light. I still haven't popped the CFL on mine yet.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
1/13/14 3:23 p.m.

Get a battery powered LED (or three!) and you won't regret it. I love them, so much more convenient, safe, and robust. They're really cheap these days!

Bryce

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/13/14 3:54 p.m.

Man, I just CAN NOT prevent a drop light from....dropping hahaha. Seriously, no matter how I hook the hook to something, it will always pivot to shine in my eyes, and fall. The bulb doesn't break, but the shock breaks the filament, even with rough service bulbs. That's why I don't want to use a CFL.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/13/14 6:25 p.m.

Dude, seriously, buy a couple rechargeable LED light bars. They're dirt cheap and they're awesome.

Someone gave me a cheap Black and Decker one a few years ago for Xmas. (on the inside) I was all "Eww - Black and Decker - consumer grade crap" but it's proved me wrong, over and over. I may just buy another one.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/13/14 6:33 p.m.

Motomoron, I've been meaning to pic one of these for a while. At this price, plus the usual 20% off coupon, I think I need to get it done.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/13/14 6:41 p.m.

I got a couple of the blue oval ones with the magnet on the back from HF for $1.99 each.

They are freaking awesome and they cost less than an actual light bulb when the inevitable happens.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/14 7:12 p.m.

I've been using two of these.

Clamp on, aim them where you want, small, bright, durable and cool. I also use them on my mill, lathe, blast cabinet, bench and parts washer. Every time I need a little light somewhere I stop by Lowe's and pick up a couple of more.

Edit: I've even got one clamped to the bed for reading.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z8ZUTjlFGU0zTxBEtZOaXI72gWjrEm78B4fzFLlhsJLxUN1R3ruPgo3jJ1bjbi3V