1 2 3 4 5 ... 23
NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
2/11/17 6:48 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Funny enough, my wife is due a month before the challenge. As a result the '02 will need to be ready well before the challenge :/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/11/17 11:16 p.m.

My project has 2 parts. The basic part is underway and proceeding nicely. The unique and cool part is dependent on several other people who have skills I do not have, and I am having trouble getting them moving.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/12/17 12:34 a.m.

I've been wanting to come to the Challenge since the $1500 Challenge was announced. I've never prioritized the time for a suitable project over the last eighteen years and now I don't actually have a garage (and working on cars in the parking lot is viewed... unfavorably). Is it cool to come in, like, a regular car? For instance, I paid two grand for my Viggen convertible. It would never do all that well at the Challenge. I street drive the car. It's not my motorsports car. I'm not going to hack it up or sell pieces off of it. But as it sits, it's within budget. No creative rule interpreting, no ingenious engineering, just drag racing and auto crossing in a floppy convertible Saab.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/12/17 4:53 a.m.
Lugnut wrote: I've been wanting to come to the Challenge since the $1500 Challenge was announced. I've never prioritized the time for a suitable project over the last eighteen years and now I don't actually have a garage (and working on cars in the parking lot is viewed... unfavorably). Is it cool to come in, like, a regular car? For instance, I paid two grand for my Viggen convertible. It would never do all that well at the Challenge. I street drive the car. It's not my motorsports car. I'm not going to hack it up or sell pieces off of it. But as it sits, it's within budget. No creative rule interpreting, no ingenious engineering, just drag racing and auto crossing in a floppy convertible Saab.

Bring it and a willingness to have fun, help and talk car talk.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/12/17 4:55 a.m.
SVreX wrote: .....The unique and cool part is dependent on several other people who have skills I do not have, and I am having trouble getting them moving.

Pesky kids....

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/17 6:14 a.m.

In reply to lugnut and wheels777:

Many of us have shown up WITHOUT cars and still managed to create havoc and injury!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/12/17 6:15 a.m.

I just ordered a turbo manifold and higher flow intake manifold for $160 for the pair.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/12/17 7:42 a.m.

Suspension is on the truck.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/12/17 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Lugnut:

10th Overall in 2015 in a near stock $900 Infiniti Q45.
Highest place finisher with stock ride height!

It is now mostly driven to drop off my daughter at daycare.

Very much, bring the Viggen!

Also plan to arrive early and lend a hand to this year's parking lot build. PLB

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/17 10:01 a.m.

I have aquired a car and wheels. And made some notes. I need to clean out the garage to get the Challenge Eclipse in and apart to see how damaged the engine is from a long term blown head gasket. Unfortunately, the car is a base model and has the Chrysler 420a engine. So no Mitsubushi goodness here. Unless another totaled GSX or GST shows up on the local CL.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/12/17 11:19 a.m.

Pretty sure I am still the only guy that showed up and ran BOTH the autocross and drag strip on a tandem bicycle.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/17 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Lugnut:

I should have all the right cables and freeware to tune that puppy if you haven't already. I'm also in Chicago land. Supposedly the viggens can make almost 300 hp just on a tune.

Let me know if you are interested. I ran the 9-3 last year and still DD it.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/12/17 6:09 p.m.
Robbie wrote: In reply to Lugnut: I should have all the right cables and freeware to tune that puppy if you haven't already. I'm also in Chicago land. Supposedly the viggens can make almost 300 hp just on a tune. Let me know if you are interested. I ran the 9-3 last year and still DD it.

Sure I am! PM me!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/12/17 6:37 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Pretty sure I am still the only guy that showed up and ran BOTH the autocross and drag strip on a tandem bicycle.

IIRC, beat a car doing it. I still laugh when I remember watching the ride down the strip.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/17 6:54 p.m.

I keep telling myself that I really shouldn't, and yet I keep on working on my car... Personally, I have huge reservations about the event's future and am not sure that it is a good fit for me, anymore...

The Integra (now with 100% more turbo!) is running great, has lost about 100lbs (20lbs for me, too!) and I have fixed up the odd suspension issue (damn cheap knockoff parts!).

I even went so far as to sell something for more than $5 AND kept the receipt just in case. My typical loathing for financial dealings was overcome by common sense and the excellent example of others.

It would be a minor pain in the ass to convert it from race trim to challenge trim but I think it could be done in a weekend and still squeak in under budget. Very, very small obstacles in the face of all that glory...

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/12/17 7:00 p.m.

I'm actually making a real attempt to come this year, if for no other reason to meet some of you yahoos

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/12/17 7:31 p.m.
Raze wrote: I'm actually making a real attempt to come this year, if for no other reason to meet some of you yahoos

Yahoooooooooo!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/17 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

We need more Vettes!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/17 10:03 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Raze: We need more Vettes!

You're right ... the Q45 needs more Vette fodder.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/12/17 10:05 p.m.
Stampie wrote:

I'll be happy to oblige

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/14/17 5:22 a.m.

247 days to go

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/14/17 6:50 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Crap.....

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/14/17 9:53 a.m.

I'm in Tampa. It was so hot yesterday I was thinking I had better get on the ball and get our new car mostly done before the real summer heat hits.

As of yesterday the car ($1,000 four cylinder Fox Mustang) had 315 Kumhos on all 4 corners. The sub-frame connectors are welded in, the interior and doors are gutted, the battery is mostly in the back, and I've almost finished fabricating a large (16") drag spoiler. So we are about 15% done ??? :-)

Nordic Sabb- Congrats on the baby.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/17 12:05 p.m.
Raze wrote:
Stampie wrote:
I'll be happy to oblige

Sweet! We get enough Vettes and we'll need to get some CCCCA (Crappy Corvette Car Club of America) stickers cut out for everyone.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/14/17 1:07 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Coincidence that there are 4c's in that?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cvOAjXKEaanvk6kWbZaFRLpo75TwzNs7cMTv2Y8YlIT7U9kkIkuSlATXQYx0RlA8