1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/25/17 8:48 a.m.

work done by employees

I don't own an automotive shop but sometimes My employees offer/are willing to help me with my challenge cars. I don't make them clock out to assist me because that would just be rude in my opinion. Do I need to include my cost into my budget?

exST165
exST165 New Reader
5/25/17 9:06 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: The Soccer Mom class was last year's specialty class- each year has a different one (now, it's a relatively recent addition) and this year's is Pickup Trucks.

Thanks. Missed that development.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
5/25/17 12:31 p.m.

In reply to exST165: Just chop off everything behind the cab portion build a wall and set a PU bed on there and call it good. Lol, as said in the begining.... If it looks like a duck ... I mean Truck, You Know one when you see one, And I've seen plenty of Vans converted to P U trucks even 5th wheel. But please wait for the Boss to answer, I'm just being Funny.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
5/25/17 12:37 p.m.

Andy, your not a car Shop and they Donated their time. Not making them clock out is just being nice to me. again, I have no say, I'd be good with that. will you PM me with an E-Mail so I can ask a question, thanks, John

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/25/17 1:48 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: work done by employees I don't own an automotive shop but sometimes My employees offer/are willing to help me with my challenge cars. I don't make them clock out to assist me because that would just be rude in my opinion. Do I need to include my cost into my budget?

Yes, you do. If they clock out and work on their own time, then it's free, but if they are clocked in then you're paying professionals to work on your car, and it needs to be in your budget.

Tom Suddard
5/25/17 1:50 p.m.

In reply to exST165:

Yes, that's correct, and height does include the roof rack.

Tires are unlimited.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/25/17 3:17 p.m.

Regarding the stability rule, I am hoping someone can clarify for me, maybe I should be starting a new thread, but it seems appropriate in here. Section 3.1 says "The chart below is for all vehicles not specifically listed in Appendix A", so I'm assuming if a vehicle is called out in the Appendix, it's good to go. I'm building a 2WD Chevy S10 (with a V8 swap). 4 and 6 cylinder S10s are called out in STX and CP, and H-Street Has RWD pickups as a "Catch-All". So, my question is, does my car need to meet the 1:1 rule, or are the callouts in Appendix A enough to have to exempted? I've lowered it already, but at this point, I will still need to do more lowering or widening the track width to meet the 1:1 rule.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/25/17 3:20 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote: work done by employees I don't own an automotive shop but sometimes My employees offer/are willing to help me with my challenge cars. I don't make them clock out to assist me because that would just be rude in my opinion. Do I need to include my cost into my budget?
Yes, you do. If they clock out and work on their own time, then it's free, but if they are clocked in then you're paying professionals to work on your car, and it needs to be in your budget.

Ok, but they aren't professional car guys. Professional delivery drivers. I'll make sure they don't touch the car while they are on the clock.

Even though I tend to consider our employees like family I try not to be friends with them outside of work. Don't want people thinking certain people get preferential treatment because they hang out with me after work.

bigben
bigben New Reader
5/26/17 12:13 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

Then I hope they're at least worth what you're paying them because it hits your budget the same whether they do a professional job or a shoddy one.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
5/26/17 6:21 a.m.

Does removing said work put it in the Negitive??

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/26/17 8:38 a.m.
GTXVette wrote: Does removing said work put it in the Negitive??

No problems currently, just trying to clarify because I don't want to cheat. Luckily the cost of picking up the car doesn't count against the budget because I had the president of the company(my father) pick it up during work one day.

I'd have to really take some time to figure it all out because My true cost of employing someone is much greater than just their hourly wage. Would make for an interesting spreadsheet to go with my challenge spreadsheet for costs.

Tom Suddard
6/1/17 8:44 a.m.

No problem, Andy, sorry for the bad news there. It's just one of those bad precedent things that we can't allow.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
6/1/17 10:07 p.m.

I went to pick up a radiator from a Craigslist ad . When the seller saw my GRM-Challenge T-shirt. He asked if the part was for a Challenge build. I replied in the affirmative and he said "no charge". So, is it a free part, or budgeted at the advertised price, or did I dicker down to zero by wearing the most opportune shirt?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/2/17 6:54 a.m.

I've got to get me a Shirt,,,, Is the t-Shirt w/ a two year Sub. Still available, At the Most the cost of the T W/O the 2 yr.Sub. $12.00 bucks unless the Rad. was Cheaper, lol, Ask him to post it here If Tom O K's it

Tom Suddard
6/2/17 6:24 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

Good negotiating. That's no different from me showing up and arguing a car down to $200. Part is free.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/2/17 6:46 p.m.

I've Got to get a Shirt.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27
6/4/17 6:32 a.m.

Have a few that I couldn't seem to find concrete answers to:

Hood stacks? For people not living in bro truck land... 8" long exhaust pipe out the back of the turbo through the hood. I want to say this is an no-no for an SCCA event. Let's be honest 8" of pipe is cheaper than 8'.

Replacing no longer serviced parts I have a leaky proportioning valve. The correct valves are no longer offered by Chrysler and were never serviced by the aftermarket. Reverting to drum rear brakes allows me use proportioning valves I can still buy. Exactly what do I have to claim if I make this swap?

Tabulating FMV ? I found a NeonSquirt MS2 Extra in my storage unit, Ive been liquidating parts for months all the cool old stuff I found is what brought the challenge build to my mind. The company that built this unit has folded, 1gn neon parts prices are in the toilet, I can find virtually nothing like it for sale. I would assume its value is less than that of a non Chrysler trigger wheel specific MS2. How do I assign a fair value?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/4/17 8:34 p.m.

BUILD BOOKS AND SPREAD SHEETS FOR A RETURNING CHALLENGE ENTRY

I'm pretty sure this has already been addressed but try as I might I can't find it. We are returning this year with our 2016 entry...hopefully with some much needed improvements. I am aware we pick up where we left off budget wise. Last years build book was pieced together haphazardly at the last minute.

Do you want us to just take our total from last year as a starting point or do you want all of expenditures from last year itemized individuality in the now required spreadsheet format?

Tom Suddard
6/5/17 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27:

Hood Stacks

No, they wouldn't be allowed.

NHRA Rules said: All vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of system components during competition. All removable multipiece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, a minimum 1/2'' (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube, or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e., exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com. Flexible tubing or “flex pipe” prohibited in all categories. If mufflers are used, they must be securely attached to exhaust system and vehicle body or frame.

Replacing no longer serviced parts In that case, you could just buy a used proportioning valve. This rule isn't meant to allow changing parts.

NeonSquirt MS2 Extra

In that case, find the FMV of a non Chrysler trigger wheel specific MS2, then include an explanation of what makes yours different, and why it is worth less.

Tom Suddard
6/5/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

If you transfer everything over to the new spreadsheet, that's awesome, and you're the best. But you can use last year's total as the starting point this year if you need to. In the future, we will require that everything be carried over from year to year.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/17 8:37 p.m.
The GRM rules people said: SFI-approved harmonic balancers, SFI-approved flywheels and SFI-approved flex plates are budget-neutral. These parts are dangerous rotating assemblies that should be treated with respect. Any intact harmonic balancer, flywheel, or flex plate listed on the budget may be exchanged for a duplicate SFI-approved part without increasing or decreasing the budget.

I don't see SFI approved clutch, pressure plate, or clutch kit in the budget-neutral list. Would these be budget-neutral also?

Tom Suddard
6/5/17 8:45 p.m.

No, they are not—too much room for shenanigans if they were budget neutral.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/17 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Can't blame me for trying can ya?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/6/17 6:26 a.m.

Verwy Intrestin'. Good I picked up that PowerGlide.

Tom Suddard
6/6/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
75GcW4MXS8nVUeLZ8aAy0AYKx0khRurtsDCLKCkhd1nYBrBbq2BxOHgqLFlKWOno