1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 7:40 a.m.

Just for fun I went to "Build and Price" a 2019 Challenger RT and noticed you can get the "Widebody" package without purchasing a Hellcat model. It comes  with:

20-Inch x 11-Inch Devil's Rim Forged Aluminum Whls

305/35ZR20 All-Season Performance Tires

Adaptive Damping Suspension

ABS - Brembo 6-Piston Front Brakes

Performance Shift Indicator

Widebody Competition Suspension

Widebody Fender Flares

That is a very interesting proposition.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/24/19 7:50 a.m.

Can you get it on the v6? Would be a neat autocross car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/19 7:57 a.m.

What does the price come out as with that option?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/24/19 7:57 a.m.

They're neat cars. I do wonder what those tires cost. Lots of meat. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/24/19 8:00 a.m.

price?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 8:26 a.m.

The Widebody package is a $6k on top of the $40k MSRP for the R/T Scat Pack.

Since the cars are so heavy, I'd probably go ahead and add the $1600 Harmon Kardon stereo, as I love the one that's in my 135.

Hmmmmm. Not that I can justify a $48k car at the moment the way bank messed up our escrow, but it is interesting.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/19 8:28 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That's really not bad when you look at decent Mustang GT's.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 8:28 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Can you get it on the v6? Would be a neat autocross car.

No, you can't even get it on the R/T (which has the lesser V8), it has to be the R/T Scat Pack. 

At least according to the online configurator.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 8:31 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to z31maniac :

That's really not bad when you look at decent Mustang GT's.

I didn't think so. And it's a much more menacing looking vehicle. 

The weight doesn't bother me as much as it used to, because I realize HPDE/AutoX stuff isn't something I'm likely to get to do much anymore, if at all.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/19 8:38 a.m.

Eh, for that money I think I'd rather have a lightly used Hellcat. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/19 8:46 a.m.
Furious_E said:

That's like another 8-10k on top though.

Not that I've been looking or anything.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

There's plenty in the $40-50k range. Not that I've been watching either...devil

https://www.ebay.com/sch/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hellcat

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 9:01 a.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

There's plenty in the $40-50k range. Not that I've been watching either...devil

https://www.ebay.com/sch/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hellcat

Interesting, looks like there are a few, but most have a "X Price" much higher. 

485hp/tq is already enough to make rear tires an every other oil change (if not sooner) I'd have no interest in replacing them every oil change!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/24/19 9:14 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Just for fun I went to "Build and Price" a 2019 Challenger RT and noticed you can get the "Widebody" package without purchasing a Hellcat model. It comes  with:

20-Inch x 11-Inch Devil's Rim Forged Aluminum Whls

305/35ZR20 All-Season Performance Tires

Adaptive Damping Suspension

ABS - Brembo 6-Piston Front Brakes

Performance Shift Indicator

Widebody Competition Suspension

Widebody Fender Flares

That is a very interesting proposition.

Yup, and it's awesome. The widebody is only an option on the Scat Pack and the Hellcat. I got to sample a Scat Pack last fall and do a story on it. I've been obsessed ever since. It does burnouts really well!

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/2019-challenger-r-t-scat-pack-widebody/

Since this is GRM, I'll also inform you that it handles way better than you would think something of it's size would. The 305/35/20 rubber goes a long way to make that possible. I also drove it a few weeks after sampling a similarly priced Mustang GT Premium with PP1. While that car was really great, and trust me, it was, The Scat Pack was on another level of insanity. If money was no object, I'd already own one.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 9:29 a.m.

That green looks really awesome!

I wonder how much more tire can fit under those flares, and if they gain much from normal bolt-ons. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/24/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I can't imagine the car needing much more power. Put it this way: if I mashed it while doing about 65MPH, it would try and break loose. And that's with the 8-speed auto! That said, there's probably a few ponies hanging out in there that can be released with some tuning. Tire wise, I can't imagine needing much more there either, and I'm not sure if you can fit much more if you wanted to.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/19 10:02 a.m.

The challenger is the best 'retro' styled car ever made (so far). 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
4/24/19 10:10 a.m.

Factory Pirellis are $285/tire but Cooper Zeon RS3-G1s in the factory size are $199.90 per tire. Still expensive, but it shaves costs down by $170 per roasted set.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/19 11:09 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I can't imagine the car needing much more power. Put it this way: if I mashed it while doing about 65MPH, it would try and break loose. And that's with the 8-speed auto! That said, there's probably a few ponies hanging out in there that can be released with some tuning. Tire wise, I can't imagine needing much more there either, and I'm not sure if you can fit much more if you wanted to.

It definitely needs more tire, out back at least. Just based on power:weight. New Corvettes have that much tire with much less weight. 

Plus, STEAMROLLERS look awesome. I know the last time I saw a Challenger in the wild with the stock 245s they looked like skinnies on a Top Fuel car compared to the size.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/19 11:18 a.m.

I guess that's why my Cobra does HPDE/Track Days so well. I roll 315's with literally 1500+ less pounds.

Hot damn is the widebody Scat Pack pretty though. I've seen that green in real life, it's the business.

I think you can do a widebody T/A...

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/24/19 11:44 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Plus, STEAMROLLERS look awesome. I know the last time I saw a Challenger in the wild with the stock 245s they looked like skinnies on a Top Fuel car compared to the size.

This.  The stock 245s look comical under that car (and are pretty small for the weight even on the street).  

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/24/19 11:51 a.m.

I honestly think I'd take a wide body 392/6mt car over a Hellcat. Though I feel like I'd end up buying a new Mustang if my money was more than just hypothetical.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/19 3:47 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Even for straight up even money I'll take the widebody SRT/SCAT over the Hellcat.  Sure I'd love the HellBob Costas, but it's not just a matter of depreciation making it affordable.  It will cost a hell of a lot more than an SRT/SCAT to insure, title, plate etc.  Some of these things may not count in all States, but here in Michigan your annual plate is based of the original purchase price of the vehicle new, not it's current value. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/24/19 5:21 p.m.

Do you really need thw widebody. People run 305's on stock body Hellcat Charger's all the time. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/24/19 5:33 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

No, but it looks cool.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BJhlJ3JeT5ZMEMpIFZQLzM4BiMoNU9hJyPtPRwSsG9leZeEytaEWSTC72vZMssng