David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/15/14 3:02 p.m.

We've been writing about the dirty details of motorsports for 30 years now. Our featured article this week comes from the dark ages, before we started creating digital versions of the magazine. So we had to march back to our archives, pick out the magazine, and then dig out the scanner.

Grassroots Motorsports 2015 challenge Grassroots Motorsports 2015 challenge Grassroots Motorsports 2015 challenge Grassroots Motorsports 2015 challenge Grassroots Motorsports 2015 challenge

Get the best hands-on racing coverage eight times a …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 12:18 p.m.

With the Rolex At Daytona coming on up, a little something from the archives. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/21/22 12:33 p.m.

Very cool; I have a friend who did a similar thing back in the early 80s. Always great to see club racers taking on a monumental task.

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 12:43 p.m.

The latest chapter in the family's motorsports endeavors: Flis Performance, the firm building the Mazda MX-5 Cup cars. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/21/22 12:49 p.m.

Is this the same Spirit of Daytona that ran (runs?) with the DP class?

Wow, what a story. I know yall ran a story a year or two ago about an audi that ran the 24, I wish this was more common. I wish the dream were a little closer for many folks. Even with inflation, it's "only" 46 grand today. That sounds awesome. 

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 12:50 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Yup, same family that ran the DP cars.

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 12:52 p.m.

And here's that recent piece about the lower-buck IMSA effort:

Running in an IMSA race on a grassroots budget

hybridmomentspass
1/21/22 3:00 p.m.

That's the article I remember. 

And thank you for confirming same family that ran the DP cars...wow, what a change from an 'old' eclipse to a DP class!  Makes me want to find some of my hero cards from that team

David S. Wallens
1/21/22 9:23 p.m.

"Old" Eclipse? Hey, that car was new at the time. :)

JW Everse
JW Everse
1/23/22 3:12 p.m.

Good friend finished the Rolex 24 in 1998 in this car (different livery).  Made it on the podium with a volunteer crew of friends and family.  Can't imagine what's involved until you actual do it.

hybridmomentspass
1/23/22 9:31 p.m.
JW Everse said:

Good friend finished the Rolex 24 in 1998 in this car (different livery).  Made it on the podium with a volunteer crew of friends and family.  Can't imagine what's involved until you actual do it.

What's up with those wheels/hubs?

David S. Wallens
1/23/22 10:02 p.m.

Wide-fives. And when I do an image search, I get a photo that I took of JG next to a Somerset. :)

David S. Wallens
1/23/22 10:04 p.m.

And some history on wide-fives here on Wilwood's site. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/24/22 12:39 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:
JW Everse said:

What's up with those wheels/hubs?

Thanks for making me feel old.

hybridmomentspass
1/24/22 8:43 a.m.

Just never seen those before, or not noticed if I had. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
1/24/22 9:36 a.m.
JW Everse said:

I think that might have been 1999 when they had the GTT class.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h8zujJVek59GSnrnjImfeRHWfD3mT2A0vTn9hGRdHkwEqYk8bqrAe8ry4IV2itTf