CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/15 8:13 a.m.

So I sold my SpecMiata in 2009 to pay for other racing opportunities (SkipBarber). In the bill of sale, I asked to have right of first refusal when he decided to sell. Long story short, the time has come. I can probably swing buying it back (depending on price) if I sold my RX-8. However, it would not be a competitive car (1.6L) if I were to go racing again. I'd mainly be using it for track days. Another issue is it isn't street legal and I don't have a way to tow it currently. I do have a friend looking for an entry level SM track car, so hopefully I can get him to buy it.

Should I buy it back? I think it is mainly for sentimental reasons at this point because I built it and raced it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/15 8:51 a.m.

Could you make it street legal?

CGLockRacer
1/13/15 8:59 a.m.

Define - "legal". It's not something I'd want to travel any distance in on the road.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/15 9:00 a.m.

I understand that the sentimental value does mean something.

However, based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.

maj75
maj75 Reader
1/13/15 9:12 a.m.

I don't follow Spec Miata so this is probable a dumb question, but are you saying 90-93 Miatas are not competitive?

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
1/13/15 9:21 a.m.

Convert to rallycross?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/13/15 9:24 a.m.

Depends on asking price.

CGLockRacer
1/13/15 9:24 a.m.

In reply to maj75:

Difficult (i.e. $$) to make competitive against the '99 and up currently at national level. Regional level they may have better odds. However, after the whole modified heads debacle, I don't know. I am not that up to date.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/13/15 9:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I understand that the sentimental value does mean something. However, based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Depends on asking price.

This ^^ plus this ^ equals the right answer.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/13/15 10:38 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.

Agreed.

The way you worded the OP almost sounded like you wanted us to tell us why you shouldn't buy it.

A non road legal racecar with no way to tow it won't be convenient or easy/fun to make it to random track days as a track only vehicle.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/13/15 12:08 p.m.

OP, I'm absolutely awful about buying cars I have sentimental feelings towards, and I can't honestly say it's led me to make good decisions. Don't get me wrong, I've regretted SELLING cars, but I've never felt like buying back old racecars was a good decision.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
1/13/15 12:25 p.m.

It made good power at the time :)

Its got a good cage if I recall. Might be a good start for an STL car.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/15 12:40 p.m.

does AER or WRL run at any tracks local to you?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/13/15 2:16 p.m.

Buy it back ! You'll regret not doing so for the rest of your life. Even if you only run it occasionally and sell it later on.

Who wouldn't love just one more go-around with the cars of their past ! ? ! ? !

This is a pretty rare opportunity; if you can comfortably afford to, make it happen . . .

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/13/15 2:20 p.m.

Buy it back...move to a state with lax registration laws to make it street legal...bonus points for a hot and humid southern state assuming it has no AC...daily drive it...I want to see how dedicated you truely are

CGLockRacer
1/13/15 7:01 p.m.
Raze wrote: ...move to a state with lax registration laws to make it street legal...

hehe..I live in Michigan. No inspections Not that I'd ever drive a non-street legal car on the street...

CGLockRacer
1/13/15 7:49 p.m.

Well, I called....and left a voicemail. We'll see what happens. I have no idea what condition it is currently in or what he is asking. I don't think I'm going to end up buying it unless it is ridiculously cheap. I will, however, keep track of where it goes if at all possible.

Here's some build pictures from 2007. From flood car to Leeloo the SpecMiata! http://www.teammathermotorsport.com/leeloo_construction_1

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e1oGTXunqng5c4Z3iHdDKYpS6CDToLymNiPRdoWNXS09bt9GRisfTnHJgf1WJaIY