1 2
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/18/21 3:29 p.m.

GRM,

With the new Armada in tow, rethinking the vehicle fleet a bit. Now have the road/wife cruiser (Armada), Caged track day toy, 2002 Escalade (to be sold), 2004 Escalade (to be sold), VW thing project (wife cant drive and may go away sooner than later). 

I would like to get rid of the two escalades (which have been fantastic family mobiles btw) and get an automatic beach cruiser that seats 4 and hopefully is unique/fun yet reliable enough the wife can be trusted in it when I am towing the track car with the Armada to a DE weekend. 

What say you? Comfortable turning a wrench and history of german mobiles/GM stuff. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/18/21 4:13 p.m.

You didn't say how much you are willing to spend but a Jeep Wrangler is probably the answer for beach cruising and reliability. Expensive new and expensive used take your choice.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
2/18/21 6:31 p.m.

Not sure what the sand conditions are like where you go. Where I live(OBX NC) the sand get's pretty soft in the summer. We used to see about a TJ per year burn up from an overheated automatic trans. The XJ, ZJ an WJ don't seem to have the same problem.

My thoughts go to GMT415 just because I like the way they look, they're great on the beach, hold 4 people and beach toys, and are available in diesel guise.

You like MB so if you get really lucky and find a nice W463 280GE then go for that.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/18/21 6:50 p.m.

Clarification, this will not be to cruise ON the beach, merely TO the beach. Anything open air and fun applies!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/18/21 6:51 p.m.
pirate said:

You didn't say how much you are willing to spend but a Jeep Wrangler is probably the answer for beach cruising and reliability. Expensive new and expensive used take your choice.

Would like to stay under 10k. Jeep still a contender? Only downside aside from high resale is that everyone and their brother is rolling a jeep wrangler.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/21 7:07 p.m.

A lifted Beetle Convertible, like similar to the Dung Beetle, just with much less dung. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/21 7:10 p.m.

Are you crazy enough for an Evoque Convertible? 

The Evoque is really just the modern interpretation of  VW Cabriolet, lifted  so see the Beetle.

The VW Cabrolet has then evolved to include the VW Eos also (and the Beetle) 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/18/21 8:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I like the evoque idea. Throw some 32" mudding tires and steelies and go have fun, except my budget may be too short for one....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/21 8:26 p.m.

How about blend a Golf Country 

with a Golf Cabriolet 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/18/21 9:34 p.m.

You already have a VW Thing. Do an "outlaw" build so the rest of us could watch. Subaru swap with an automatic FTW.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/21 11:12 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

After seeing this, I immediately went to my local CL and found a $1500 5 speed 2.0 Beetle and a $1000 Turbo auto convertible Beetle. Then I found a 3" lift for them for $700. Did you know they make roll hoops for them too?

I hate how much I love the Dung Beetle. If I had my tax refund in hand, there would be a crappy New Beetle in my driveway. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/21 11:46 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I like the evoque idea. Throw some 32" mudding tires and steelies and go have fun, except my budget may be too short for one....

I got you fam...

Image result for nissan murano crosscabriolet

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/21 11:56 p.m.

996 Carrera4 Cabriolet? They can hardtop. They can softtop. If you find the incredibly rare Porsche Roof Transport System, you can even put a roof rack over the soft top and carry stuff like kayaks to the beach.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/19/21 7:40 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

You already have a VW Thing. Do an "outlaw" build so the rest of us could watch. Subaru swap with an automatic FTW.

Mainly because I want to remain married and not have a VW project sitting in the driveway for 6 years. Why are those tires mismatched?!?!?? OCD kicking in.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
2/19/21 9:23 a.m.

No point in lifting it and adding big tires if you're not going on the beach.

Topless Bronco or K5

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/21 9:48 a.m.

If you drop the neat requirement, there's nothing more versatile and functional for beach cruising than a 4wd crewcab truck.  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/21 11:00 a.m.

Since you're not worried about driving on the sand, a 70's Cutlass convertible sounds perfect.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/19/21 11:06 a.m.

Topless K5 or Bronco may be my personal favorite suggestion. Now can I find ones in decent shape for $10k or less? Broncos have went absolutely crazy lately.

Also looking at e90 convertibles or 2010ish benz vert for ultimate depreciated asset value.

996's are going UP pretty drastically thanks to covid so they are probably out of my range (and back seat on my previous 996s would probably not even fit my 6 year olds.

A classic convertible would be a great choice if I had the budget to support something in good shape. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/19/21 11:24 a.m.

I had no idea that Evoque Convertibles were so rare or so expensive.  Just around the corner from me used to live a white/black version.  It generally seemed to be a low spec model.  As I mentioned, it reminded me of a lifted Vw Cabriolet.  It looked like a reasonable replacement if you were trying to lease something for a wife to drive to a the Country/Yacht/Racquet Club, like, something to replace a E36 Convertible.  Yeah, it's a goofy suv-thing but all the world seems to want suv-things.   

The only one I found listed nationwide is a 2018 w/ 50k miles still asking $45k.  I think they were $50-$70k when new.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/19/21 11:30 a.m.

In that vein of a Bronco/K5, I would really like to have a Gen1 Isuzu Amigo:

There was also a Gen2, renamed Rodeo Sport:

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/19/21 12:03 p.m.

A w124 Mercedes convertible should be available in your price range and is past the depreciation stage.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/19/21 12:51 p.m.

Nice isuzu idea. Will lump them in with my search! Also maybe a samari or geo tracker (chevy tracker) would fit the bill.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/21 3:11 p.m.

How bad is the VW thing?  Is the issue with it it being a Manual or just wife doesn't like.  

There is no cooler beach cruiser then a Thing.  Just isn't.  

For 10K if you don't want a jeep your looking for obscure cool.

Which should start and end at the Iszuzu Vehicross.  Though not a convertible.  Definately won't roll next to another one.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/19/21 5:48 p.m.
nocones said:

How bad is the VW thing?  Is the issue with it it being a Manual or just wife doesn't like.  

There is no cooler beach cruiser then a Thing.  Just isn't.  

For 10K if you don't want a jeep your looking for obscure cool.

Which should start and end at the Iszuzu Vehicross.  Though not a convertible.  Definately won't roll next to another one.

VW is not bad at all and I love it. The issue is that the wife is really not the type of driver you want behind the wheel of a manual transmission vehicle and I need a backup car for her when I am towing the racecar with the armada.

I have tried to help her learn, and its a LONG SHOT possibility. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3pgZqfowqRxkhe0dU8oqyeeWl7jiWoiz5cP8x0dPenTZmqOW4DrYVnMtYvkxknTz