singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
12/6/16 12:33 p.m.

Trying to lower an old amc 2" on the cheap.No lowering spindles are available.Can I move the ball joint mounts up 2" on the bottom and top control arms to lower it?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/16 12:40 p.m.

Assuming the spring connects to one of the control arms it'll lower the car, but the strength of such a setup would be very questionable...could changing or cutting springs be an option?

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
12/6/16 1:16 p.m.

Spring sets on top of upper control arms same as vintage mustangs.I've already lowered 3" by cutting springs.I still have 8" ground clearance between ground and rocker panels.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
12/6/16 1:20 p.m.

Since the springs sits on top of the upper arm, changing the upper ball joint length or mount height will impact ride height. On my AMC Spirit I went with a taller ball joint to try and correct the camber curve. It did change the curve some but also lifted the front end 1".

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
12/6/16 1:22 p.m.

people do ball joint spacers to lift some 4x4's

there are mixed reviews on the strength of a setup like this. I imagine there would be the same question in strength with using it to lower a vehicle, but it would probably not be has hard on it as a street car vs. an offroader unless you run huge sticky tires

edit: i mis-understood what you were trying to do, i was thinking a ball joint spacer on the lower side but since your spring is on the upper control arm that wouldnt work.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
12/6/16 1:39 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I remember you swapping to a taller top ball joint.I could lower the car by using a 1" taller lower ball joint.This would have the added benefit on the camber curve.I plan to lower 3" though.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
12/6/16 5:02 p.m.

Shorter tires?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/6/16 5:41 p.m.

Lowering plates. Google it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wlHqLlLaL339nmv82SHozrPpaF6wRYAV9mSV30gB4skzj9hezfsYEfKRSm21AhhX