1 2 3 4 ... 6
Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
4/24/12 9:53 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Do you want stock or to modify?
I don't leave anything stock.

I meant, do you want a stock 6 cylinder or big block? Just like asking do you want a kit car, roller, or turn key?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/24/12 10:13 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Do you want stock or to modify?
I don't leave anything stock.
I meant, do you want a stock 6 cylinder or big block? Just like asking do you want a kit car, roller, or turn key?

I would probably go small block.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/24/12 10:27 p.m.

I really dig the late sixties t-birds. The four door cars had rear suicide doors, and they all had flip up headlights. 1968 and 1969 I think.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/25/12 5:31 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

64-66 Mustangs. Not really a muscle car, but can be made to run well. I've owned mine for 14 years and it's worth about what I have into it, so the down side is that they aren't appreciating much either. Oh, and they aren't great cars in stock condition.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
4/25/12 8:04 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I like the Cougar idea. I want a muscle car simply for the looks, the V8 noise and big smoking burnouts.

My dad had a '71 Cougar XR7 when I was young, and it will definitely do big, smoking burnouts. That's the car that got me interested in cars.

Bob

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/25/12 8:14 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I really dig the late sixties t-birds. The four door cars had rear suicide doors, and they all had flip up headlights. 1968 and 1969 I think.

The T-Bird is dead to me after the first generation.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/12 8:17 a.m.

I see, on the local CL, that notchback Mustangs are still reasonable if you buy them in fair shape. The fastback, MACH 1's, etc are up there in price.

I've seen a few Skylark's with the rover V8 over the years. I always thought those were pretty hot.

Maverick's are still cheap. Which is interesting as they're about 80% Mustang under the sheet metal. The rear is different so my understanding is if you want it to handle you'll have to install a watts link rear, panhard bar, or something similar. If you just want straight line speed they're about as cheap as you get from Ford.

I've never been much into Mopars so I have a blind spot there.

I do see some surprisingly cheap mid 70's to early 80's Corvettes.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
4/25/12 8:33 a.m.

'67 Cougar

I'm just leaving this here, and it's local...

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
4/25/12 8:38 a.m.

Full sized regular cab short box pickup truck?

Front V8 engine, rear wheel drive, tons of room under the hood - lots of aftermarket support.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/25/12 8:40 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: '67 Cougar I'm just leaving this here, and it's local...

Damn it Dave. You have to stop sending me tempting ads. I need to start finding TVR and Europa ads to send you.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/25/12 9:17 a.m.

Here is more local temptation.
Not a real muscle car but "in the spirit" and unique and cheap (and runs.)
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2971011137.html

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
4/25/12 9:20 a.m.

Nova

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
4/25/12 9:21 a.m.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
4/25/12 10:00 a.m.

I bought the 72 Firebird in "my garage" for 3k and drove it home. It had a pontiac 400, th350 with shift kit, highway gears, rusty floors, NO interior other than front seats....not even a dash, and the brakes were beyond bad....bad to the point I had my wife drive in front of me on the way home so if the brakes failed I could hopefully get her car to bring me to a stop. Luckily now I have a trailer and don't do those things anymore. Still I had a cool driver for under 4k once I fixed the interior, brakes, and tuned it. Fast forward a few years and, not being able to leave well enough alone, it has a 455, 4 speed, 4 wheel disk brakes, ws6 springs and sway bars, and koni adjustible front shocks. I also fixed all the body issues and painted it. I got all those parts used and did the work myself, so still don't have a ton of money in it.

I also like the other side of the muscle car hobby and have a couple of nice numbers matching cars, but I started with a cheap beater...that's what got me hooked.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/12 10:27 a.m.

I love browsing for cheap "muscle"! Local to me:

71 Grand Prix J 400 $3500

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/25/12 10:40 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I love browsing for cheap "muscle"! Local to me: 71 Grand Prix J 400 $3500

Did you ever find out about that $300 Rebel around you?

Javelin
4/25/12 11:02 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

He never emailed back and the listing disappeared.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil New Reader
4/25/12 11:03 a.m.

If you can stand going out of the traditional box a bit, the El Camino is selling for extremely low prices. Here in Massachusetts, they seem to be selling steadily between $1,800 and $3,000 in good solid driver condition.

I've looked at two this week already, but they had V8s in 'em and we're looking for a V6 right now. Still, sharp fun rides, pretty much a Malibu with a mullet. Dress then up in SS trim, hood, and wheels. Pretty nice.

Maybe?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
4/25/12 11:05 a.m.

For some reason, I still see a lot of 64-72 Olds and Buick A-bodies in serviceable shape for cheap. I'd love to get another one myself someday (I had a '64 Skylark that I wanted to put a Grand National drivetrain into). The 73-77 "Colonnade" cars are still cheaper too.

Another cheap buy is the late 70's Camaro. While the 77-81 Firebirds and Trans Ams have gone up in price recently, the Camaro has remained cheap. They are ripe for swapping a better drivetrain into them and parts are mostly affordable. If you can find a Trans Am of that vintage cheaply, they are also cool. I have one myself, and they are starting to eclipse the Camaros with the aftermarket restoration parts support. They may have been slow stock, but stock sucks.

+1 on the vintage shortbed pickup idea, except the market (at least around here) is starting to figure that out. One of those will most likely be my next project after my current projects are complete.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
4/25/12 12:11 p.m.

This is odd, but has muscle car potential, (ok...only to me), but when I run across one, I am going to swap a 440/833 into a 1981-83 Chrysler Imperial Coupe. I will be out lapping I285 at 3am.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/12 12:22 p.m.

Another thing to consider is that most everyone who talks vintage muscle is talking about a V8 car. I'm still waiting for someone to turbo an I6 car and go that route. I'm not sure what the result would be for a daily driver or how well the experiment would turn out. It might make some very inexpensive 6 banger muscle cars performance contenders.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/25/12 12:24 p.m.

Lots of interesting ideas, but I'd go with a GM or Ford pickup.

They can be made to handle just about as well as the cars of the day, have a different, less-cliche vibe than traditional muscle cars, and a trip to the south or southwest can easily net a truck without too much rust, and a nice patina. Since it's a truck you can just keep the patina and concentrate on getting the motor, brakes, and suspension up to snuff. Not having to do much body work/paint would radically decrease the cost of the project.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/25/12 12:33 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Lots of interesting ideas, but I'd go with a GM or Ford pickup. They can be made to handle just about as well as the cars of the day, have a different, less-cliche vibe than traditional muscle cars, and a trip to the south or southwest can easily net a truck without too much rust, and a nice patina. Since it's a truck you can just keep the patina and concentrate on getting the motor, brakes, and suspension up to snuff. Not having to do much body work/paint would radically decrease the cost of the project.

I am already planning on adding a vintage truck to the stable end of this year beginning of next.

Javelin
4/25/12 1:07 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Lots of interesting ideas, but I'd go with a GM or Ford pickup.

Good idea, but around here you're about 25 years too late. Old pickups are twice as much as old cars, especially 2WD Chevy Short Wide's. The 4x4's are really starting to get pricey, too.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/25/12 1:21 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
ShadowSix wrote: Lots of interesting ideas, but I'd go with a GM or Ford pickup.
Good idea, but around here you're about 25 years too late. Old pickups are twice as much as old cars, especially 2WD Chevy Short Wide's. The 4x4's are really starting to get pricey, too.

Really? I see trucks cheaper then cars round here.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szKZR7Yvij2Y7cmbqDvDTTeAASo1P5Nndj7MdFD0JktvW2nHXsrwcIIfLKZ6t6Cf