1 2
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/13 9:04 p.m.

So I test drove a sonic. Its a pretty decent car for the coin. The 1.4l turbo with 6 speed manual moves it along nicely and has good low end torque. Sadly the interior felt higher quality than the WRX though that's not suprsing. Overall seems like it would be a good 40mpg commuting car which I am looking for.

What am I missing? Do these fall apart horribly? Pricing is very aggressive with a 3900 discount on a sub 20k car.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/11/13 9:07 p.m.

I don't know but I found myself looking at the Spark on Chevy's website last night. Same engine and trans I think, so I'm in for some info.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
12/11/13 9:26 p.m.

On another forum someone was asking about the Spark. A couple of Chevy techs chimed in and said to stay very, very far away from them. Made by Daewoo, and not very well, apparently. Don't know if any of that translates to the Sonic, though.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/11/13 9:27 p.m.

I need to drive the turbo one.... though the Fiesta ST already answered that question far better.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/13 9:28 p.m.

Spark and Sonic are two very different products. The Sonic is a much better car.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
12/11/13 9:32 p.m.

Rented a Sonic auto for about 1k miles in October. Liked it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/11/13 9:39 p.m.

2014 Sonic, 5dr HB, RS

Red Hot, Jet Black, Leather-appointed with sueded microfiber inserts

base msrp* $20,325, delivery & handling $825, total msrp $21,150

employee price $19,511, current offers -$500, Net Price $19,011

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
12/11/13 10:03 p.m.

Drove a Sonic during our most recent car search. At the time we were comparing it against a heavily discounted (cheaper than the Sonic while more heavily optioned) Focus wagon with manual transmission. The Sonic felt sportier, with the 1.4T feeling considerably more eager than the Focus engine, and it actually has a proper highway gear to help maximize fuel economy. The Focus did have the nicer interior and exterior, in our opinion though. All in all, the Sonic definitely seems to be a good car, if size wise it will also fit your needs.

theenico
theenico New Reader
12/11/13 10:17 p.m.

Sparks are assembled in Korea by GM Korea (formerly known as Daewoo).

The Sonic is assembled in Michigan. Its engineering "homeroom" is GMK, but the US team made many changes to what we get here.

I've had my 2012 Sonic 1.4t 6M since October of 2011. So far it's been extremely reliable. With just a software flash, it is very entertaining.

Opti
Opti New Reader
12/12/13 2:14 a.m.

I like the cruze, you can get the same engine for under 20K or the diesel for a little more.

Friend has a sonic, has about 60K and has been very reliable.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/12/13 5:56 a.m.

I test drove a Sonic RS a couple months ago and really liked it, felt faster than 140hp would suggest and handled great. GM would have a real winner if they upped the power to 200 in order to run with the Fiesta ST

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
12/12/13 5:58 a.m.

Hmm, my Astra could use a replacement...

wae
wae Reader
12/12/13 6:06 a.m.

Had one as a rental a couple weeks back. Not a bad little car. The only thing I didn't really like was the goofy gauge cluster thing.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
12/12/13 8:36 a.m.

Test drove one (1.4t / 6-speed / hatch), and ended up with a Honda Fit. I really liked the power in the Sonic, but the poor visibility and cargo space compared to the fit sealed its fate, plus, at the time I was leaning strongly towards an automatic trans, and at the time, it wasn't available with the turbo engine.

Still wish the Fit had the power the Sonic had.

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
12/12/13 8:49 a.m.

The 6MT is quite good. We have a Cruze Eco, and like it. 42 MPG with a good manual transmission, not fast but decently peppy.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/12/13 9:14 a.m.
theenico wrote: Sparks are assembled in Korea by GM Korea (formerly known as Daewoo). The Sonic is assembled in Michigan. Its engineering "homeroom" is GMK, but the US team made many changes to what we get here. I've had my 2012 Sonic 1.4t 6M since October of 2011. So far it's been extremely reliable. With just a software flash, it is very entertaining.

What kind of power do they make with flash and basic bolts ons?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/12/13 9:23 a.m.
Storz wrote:
theenico wrote: Sparks are assembled in Korea by GM Korea (formerly known as Daewoo). The Sonic is assembled in Michigan. Its engineering "homeroom" is GMK, but the US team made many changes to what we get here. I've had my 2012 Sonic 1.4t 6M since October of 2011. So far it's been extremely reliable. With just a software flash, it is very entertaining.
What kind of power do they make with flash and basic bolts ons?

If you look at what the Cruze people get, you easily will burn up the weakass clutch in no time flat.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/12/13 9:53 a.m.

My 2013 Fiesta SE hatch with Powershift stickered at $19085 . also had a $1250 discount. No powerhouse but adequate. easily gets40+mpg. fun to drive. Since the post was all about Chevies I just couldn't resist.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/13 1:25 p.m.

Yes but try putting child seats in the back of the fiesta. I LOVE the fiesta. I drove one and really wanted to buy a 1.0l turbo one however the rear seat is laughably small. My daughter who is forward facing would have to have he legs crossed as there is only 2" between her car seat and the seat back. My son is rear facing for the next 8 months and would render the car a 3 seater as the passenger seat is to far forward to use. The sonic has none of these issues. The rear seat is quite roomy for the car size comparable to the fit and nearly as big as in the WRX.

Good to hear good feedback. This may be the route I go.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/12/13 2:01 p.m.

I rented the slush-box turbo version of the Sonic a couple weeks ago in LA. Fantastic little mill, just a tad of turbo lag. I fit great (6'4"), I thought the interior was pleasantly simple and well layed out, and I averaged 30mpg flogging it mercilessly and keeping up with the 80mph LA freeway flow. The steering was overly fast and it felt chunky and is at 3000 lb. Things are good in the automotive world.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/12/13 6:28 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: 2014 Sonic, 5dr HB, RS Red Hot, Jet Black, Leather-appointed with sueded microfiber inserts base msrp* $20,325, delivery & handling $825, total msrp $21,150 employee price $19,511, current offers -$500, Net Price $19,011

WHERE'S THE BOAT!? I'd vote Mazda2.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/12/13 6:43 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Hey! I have one of those for sale!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/12/13 6:50 p.m.

He already said the Fiesta is too small in back and if the Fiesta is too small then we already know how he would feel in the 2.
The Sonic sedan is by far the most attractive of the B segment sedans.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
12/12/13 7:17 p.m.

Sounds like the Hedgehog may be the car for you.

I test drove a non-turbo before deciding on the 2, and it was definitely better than I expected.

If I had kids, I'd be making a decision between the Sonic and Fit. I'd be tempted to go with the one with boost, especially for more effortless commuting.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/12/13 7:23 p.m.

Go look at the Elantra, less money, more room, manual available on base model, more hp, similar mpg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DncBBjmwKxhZTvrtpriWKnygaxmoBchuYqivpOqa2KReAI62eLmj3O8Un3FvnWn7