hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/4/21 9:27 a.m.

One side of the gf's pickup has a fast blink, front and back- yes, both ends are functioning, but blinking very quickly. 

What the heck? I know that, typically, if one burns out the other will fast blink, but for them both to be working? Any ideas?

It's an 01, if I remember correctly.

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
11/4/21 10:15 a.m.

Does the front have two turn signal bulbs on each side?  One could be out and the other still working.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/4/21 10:41 a.m.

Yes, side marker bulbs are my guess

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/4/21 10:43 a.m.

Do they still use those electro-mechanical flashers?  I always found that when my blinkers blinked fast, the flasher was about to fail.  Changing the flasher fixed it.

Opti
Opti Dork
11/4/21 10:53 a.m.

check light function on the other side and then verify everything on the fast side is coming on. If one isnt change it. If it still blinks fast Id replace the bulbs anyway.

Never had one that only blinked fast on one side not be a bulb.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/4/21 12:37 p.m.

Turn the Headlights on and try the blinkers. 

My theory is that a double filament bulb has just one filament out. 

I once had a '83 Rabbit that called for double filament tail lights. One was wrongly replaced with a single filament bulb that caused wierd activity. 

Have any bulbs been replaced with led bulbs? This too can cause wierdness 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/21 2:51 p.m.

Chronic problem with GM trucks of the era.  The sockets are crap.  Pull the bulb and you'll probably find all kinds of crusty green goop on the contacts.  They also had corrosion around the ground screw for the harness.

Best solution is an aftermarket socket from the Help! section at the auto parts store.

Maybe you'll get lucky and its just a filament, but I'm just warning that you may have additional issues.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/4/21 3:41 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

..........  They also had corrosion around the ground screw for the harness......

Thats what I was going to say , bad grounds can cause all kinds  of fun !

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/21 5:36 p.m.

Have you checked the Blinker Fluid?. . ..    laugh 

Ok I will show myself out. . . 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
11/4/21 6:38 p.m.

+1 for a ground or corrosion issue. 

solfly
solfly Dork
11/4/21 6:38 p.m.

Some of those trucks have a small 2nd turn signal bulb in the tail light that's easy to miss. Also if it has a trailer wiring harness that could be an issue.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
11/4/21 8:14 p.m.

I thought bad bulbs caused a slow blink, and a short would cause a fast blink with older flashers. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/5/21 7:39 a.m.

So I got in there last night. There was a bulb out beside of the turn signal - replaced it and the lights went normal. Put it all back together and we're back to fast blink.

This was done in her driveway about 7:15pm, so it was getting dark. I'll look at it more later/this weekend. I DID see the green stuff in the socket like mentioned above, and some moisture, tried to wipe it away using Qtips. Again, it worked...for a moment. Not sure if the bulb dislodged as I was putting it back together or what. Again, I'll get back at it later. They are all working so she's safe, just annoyed

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/5/21 4:07 p.m.

You guys are slipping, no one suggested Blinker Fluid?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3XSO5V1EjMfnp9Ov4RhqfwdOVuARXaoG1DdsdyP8BNMtyGX9DSScg19EEZrvTYGr