John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/09 11:32 a.m.

So the Cobalts replacement seems to know how to get around a road course:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/04/cruze-contol-new-chevy-wtcc-car-takes-first-pole-double-victor/

autohog said: While a set of races in the World Touring Car Championship might not ordinarily be something we'd cover here at Autoblog – we doubt you'll mind the spoiler – this weekend's rounds in Marrakech, Morocco, held a series of firsts for the international racing series. Not only was this the first time the championship headed into Africa, but the new Chevy Cruze scored its first pole position and followed up by taking first place in both races, with Nicola Larini taking his first race victory in the series. The former grand prix driver raced for Ligier-Ford, Modena-Lamborghini and Scuderia Ferrari, scoring a career-best second-place finish with the latter at San Marino in 1994 after taking the DTM title in Germany the year before. The veteran Italian racer has been with the Chevy team in the WTCC since 2005, and scored his first race victory in the series in the second round of the double-header in Marrakech after his team-mate Rob Huff turned the first pole position for the new Chevrolet Cruze racer into the car's maiden victory in the first race. Huff's domination from start to finish was only compounded by the fastest laps that the Cruze claimed en route to the checkered flag in both races. The duo faced tough opposition from a field composed primarily of Seat Leon TSFI and BMW 320si touring cars, but the new Chevy, which was unveiled last October before receiving its official livery in December, ultimately prevailed at the new North African track.
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/4/09 12:18 p.m.

please catch on in the states...please catch on in the states...please catch on in the states....

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
5/4/09 12:50 p.m.

I want to know why the SEAT in the background is up on 2 wheels.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/09 12:52 p.m.

Coolest racing series on the planet currently? I'm thinking so.

And the picture above is great. The Cruze is in a sweet drift and the Repsol car behind it is on only two wheels, presumably due to contact!

Edit: G-stock beat me to it.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/09 1:27 p.m.

What does it say about the US when the rest of the world get that and we get NASCAR?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 1:29 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: What does it say about the US when the rest of the world get that and we get NASCAR?

That road racing doesn't fill the stands over there either.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
5/4/09 1:39 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: What does it say about the US when the rest of the world get that and we get NASCAR?

Or that NASCAR will soon be penetrating these markets. They've already been getting drivers from all over the world.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/09 1:46 p.m.
G_Stock wrote: I want to know why the SEAT in the background is up on 2 wheels.

That's Leon, he's crazy like that.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/09 2:44 p.m.

There is another Cruze between "Leon" and the #14 car that is equally out of shape.

The BMW on the right (their left) looks pissed about the whole situation for sure

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/4/09 5:24 p.m.

WTCC is just like the SPEED Touring or Koni Challenge.....a support series. Not hating, because it is some awesome racing with some cool cars, but just doesn't bring a crowd to the stands for a plethora of reasons. It's ashame because it's way more exiting to watch than NASCAR, but what I would really like to see is the Aussie V8 Supercar series, that's a "one thing I must see before I die" thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
amyRtrPuE4dg9gxUtIKHFalVkkd2ZzN6SkAqZpV2QoT9ZDJxjt8XL1dW4jnO01gd