1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/2/16 8:41 a.m.
Madhatr wrote: In reply to DeadSkunk: Do the iron duke thirdgens count? Those were 2.5L, but not crammed full of boost.

I've always wondered if GM ever actually made one of those. I've certainly never seen one, and I'm a 3rd gen fanboi.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/2/16 8:45 a.m.

I've seen a bunch of those. They were even banned at our local circle track in the mini stock class.

I remember when GM built some autocross specific Cavalier Z24 show cars. They were just show cars.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/2/16 9:25 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: If they would only offer this for under $30k....

I'd be shocked if it comes in under $40K.

Whether or not it ends up on the exclusion list will likely depend on availability and production numbers. I doubt the SEB wants another "NA R-model" being the car to have for a class.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 9:28 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Madhatr wrote: In reply to DeadSkunk: Do the iron duke thirdgens count? Those were 2.5L, but not crammed full of boost.
I've always wondered if GM ever actually made one of those. I've certainly never seen one, and I'm a 3rd gen fanboi.

They do. I've seen two in person.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/2/16 9:35 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I'd be shocked if it comes in under $40K.

The 2.0L starts at 25,xxx. That would be some seriously expensive damper/brake upgrade to break 40 large.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 9:37 a.m.
STM317 wrote:
The 2.0L starts at 25k. That would be some seriously expensive damper/brake upgrade to break 40 large.

that is a base car, with base everything. Add in the performance pack ($2k) which requires the 20" wheels ($2k), then the suspension ($2k) and you're over 31k with no other addons like an intake or exhaust which would (by their books) is another $2500. That is mid 30's real fast. Then there will be a recaro option for another $2k etc...

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/2/16 9:42 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I've seen a bunch of those. They were even banned at our local circle track in the mini stock class. I remember when GM built some autocross specific Cavalier Z24 show cars. They were just show cars.

Then there was the Cobalt SS, which was not just a show car.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/2/16 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

The v6 1LE package seems to have the same basic components as this, plus a limited slip, dual mode exhaust, upgraded fuel system and additional coolers for the engine, trans and rear dif. That package retails for $4500.

If this would cost $40k, the v6 1LE for $34k seems like the way better option. Unless their intake/exhust/tune of the 4 cylinder cranked the power up substantially.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister New Reader
11/2/16 10:22 a.m.

If it doesn't have limited slip don't bother.

Plus it's a show car - they're not producing it. Quit talking like they're going to make it.

Perhaps you'll be able to get a sport package on the base car at some point, sort of like Ford offers on their EcoBoost.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/2/16 10:31 a.m.

jeez

You can please some of the people all of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but if youre GM, everyone craps on your head...Everyone.

SMH

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/2/16 10:38 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
STM317 wrote:
The 2.0L starts at 25k. That would be some seriously expensive damper/brake upgrade to break 40 large.
that is a base car, with base everything. Add in the performance pack ($2k) which requires the 20" wheels ($2k), then the suspension ($2k) and you're over 31k with no other addons like an intake or exhaust which would (by their books) is another $2500. That is mid 30's real fast. Then there will be a recaro option for another $2k etc...

I can buy a 1LE V6 for just under $35k, with many of the same parts. You'd have to option the crap out of the 4cyl to get over $40k, but then you'd be at least 200lbs heavier, so why bother...

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/2/16 10:40 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Still with the high belt lines and tiny windows. It's like being swallowed by a whale. Here's hoping it makes a good engine donor.

Have you ever driven one? I have absolutely no problem with mine. It's much easier to see out of than a Miata.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/2/16 10:53 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Matt B wrote: ...but someone over there knows what the purple crack is.
Um - the show car is wearing Goodyears.

Right, I was only intending to imply that someone at GM was an autocrosser. Apparrently, I failed.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/2/16 10:59 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: I've seen a bunch of those. They were even banned at our local circle track in the mini stock class. I remember when GM built some autocross specific Cavalier Z24 show cars. They were just show cars.
Then there was the Cobalt SS, which was not just a show car.

The point was, the Camaro is just a show car, and will likely only ever be a show car.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 11:03 a.m.
racerfink wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
STM317 wrote:
I can buy a 1LE V6 for just under $35k, with many of the same parts. You'd have to option the crap out of the 4cyl to get over $40k, but then you'd be at least 200lbs heavier, so why bother...

Yes, current options suck. In fact you can't get the heavy duty engine cooling package and suspension without the auto in the 2.0 currently.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/2/16 11:53 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: The point was, the Camaro is just a show car, and will likely only ever be a show car.

It appears that more than half of the special parts to make one can be ordered through the Chevy dealer right now with the remainder being labeled "concept" parts. So it may not be a real package, but it does look like there's a good chance you might be able to order something fairly close as a dealer installed option.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/2/16 12:23 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: The point was, the Camaro is just a show car, and will likely only ever be a show car.
It appears that more than half of the special parts to make one can be ordered through the Chevy dealer right now with the remainder being labeled "concept" parts. So it may not be a real package, but it does look like there's a good chance you might be able to order something fairly close as a dealer installed option.

This is exactly why it was shown at SEMA and not a traditional car show. This is GM showing their "aftermarket" upgrades available from GM Performance Parts and the potential tune-ability of the Camaro, not a factory package.

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/2/16 1:15 p.m.

This whole thing is fun to talk about but a money-loser from a business standpoint.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
11/2/16 1:41 p.m.

I lol'd at "lightweight" Also, remember it's "cramit" not "Camaro" anymore. I for one would love an Auto-Cramit.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/2/16 3:43 p.m.

Was at the Chevy dealer last week for maintenance, took a walk around the showroom and there's a low mile '12 GT 500 in the center of the floor. WTF is up w/ that? to the first salesman I seen.

Salesman says older guy had knee problems, can't drive stick no more, traded it in on an Auto-Cramit.

No details on the trim level but pretty sure it had to be no slouch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIGxDNZFklX3eu5ZvOENB3n53soaIoKXKS6F9tc6MyXWJcd77jcsoXFYsn3mZUMi