1 2 3
FlightService
FlightService Reader
12/10/10 6:18 p.m.

Is anyone on here going to purchase a Volt?

MSRP $40,280 with a price after maximum government tax credit of $32,780 Chevy Volt Website

We are talking about it here. So if you want to chime in on the conversation do it there.

Just Yes or No here please. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/10/10 7:16 p.m.

No. Doesn't sound fun to drive. And is ugly. I'll pay for my lousy fuel economy for the pleasure of driving a fun car.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/10/10 7:49 p.m.

No, but I would if I was in the market for that price of a coupe/sedan type car.

John_W
John_W New Reader
12/10/10 8:46 p.m.

No. I would never spend that much for a car no matter how of a novelty it was.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
12/10/10 9:19 p.m.

A $32k cobalt sized car? With no real advantage over say a prius, especially the new plug in one? And it costs $10k more?

The interesting thing about the volt is that even if you were plugging it in all the time to keep it charged and driving under the 30 mile range, the engine will still run a great deal to ensure that 1. it still works and 2. you buy new fuel constantly so it dosen't turn sour on you( like this new ethanol crap is prone to do so quickly).

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
12/10/10 9:20 p.m.

Maybe - for $2,500 down and $350 a month I'd consider a lease, but I'd never buy a first gen emerging technology.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/10/10 10:32 p.m.

No, like others said, even after the rebates its still $32K. Thats just insane. I'de sooner get a Wheego Whip. 2 seat, 100 mile 'lectric for $22k after tax breaks.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
12/10/10 11:18 p.m.

Of course I'd consider it. An attractive lease, never have to use gas for my commute and a "real" car should I decide to take an extended trip with it. Already beat the concept Prius in a comparo, looks far better, has better equipment(like OnStar) and doesn't shout to the world that you are an enviro wacko. As many in the industry have already stated-a game changer.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
12/10/10 11:24 p.m.

For a commuter....yes I would consider it. Our last two new cars were slightly more than that, but they were "fun" cars, which we have plenty of. Now that I think about it we don't own any type of sensible vehicle right now and haven't for a long time.

Edit: Just went and looked at the lease stuff on this....it's interesting. The Volt looks good in black too. We've never leased because we like to keep our cars....for a long long time, but I could look at the Volt as somewhat of a test.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/10/10 11:28 p.m.

I'd like to but I think it's going to be more than I can spend right now. Probably going with the Fusion Hybrid

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/11/10 12:26 a.m.

I'm not going to hate on it. I give GM MASSIVE props for doing something this innovative. The early adapters will pay the price for it and then the technology will trickle down.

I really think they're onto something with this car and once battery technology catches up, I think we're looking at a decent size piece of the future of the automobile.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/10 7:00 a.m.

Good looking car, in my opinion. Much less dorky looking than the Insight, CRz, or Prius.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
12/11/10 7:50 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: never have to use gas for my commute

incorrect. The engine will run to keep you adding gas and keep it fresh.

Also note that the car is now rated for only 30 miles on electricity instead of the 50 miles as promised. Does it get the 230mpg as predicited.. nope.

I still say vapor ware.

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
12/11/10 10:31 a.m.

Not vaporware, it's a real vehicle that just didn't meet its stated goals.

i've driven rental GMs and mostly they are well put together and satisfying cars. just gotta wonder about the marketing plan that overstates then underdelivers. wouldn't it be mo better to understate and then overdeliver? sorta like Porsche does with horsepower ratings......

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
12/11/10 10:32 a.m.

btw, anyone using a plug-in want to share the impact on their electric bill? electric rates have soared here ...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
12/11/10 10:39 a.m.

No.

My '82 Corolla is long paid for and gets 32mpg.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
12/11/10 11:21 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: No. My '82 Corolla is long paid for and gets 32mpg.

no crap.. I got a 96 civic that returns a very solid 38mpg and my one way trip to work = 48 miles each way.

The volt offers me nothing (neither does a prius or leaf) that I do not have already for $0 a month. Also have to point out that it is most green to reuse a car rather then get a new one (as long as the emissions of the old/older car are not silly).

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/11/10 11:33 a.m.

Nope, my $17K Fiesta gets 40+mpg and i can drive over 400 miles without stopping.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/11/10 11:40 a.m.

No. I would be a 40pmg Elantra for half the price and a Leaf for local runs.

madpanda
madpanda New Reader
12/11/10 11:50 a.m.

Yes- if I was in the market for a new car in that price range and lived in a house with a garage where I could charge it. I don't think my landlord would go for a 50' extension cord running out of my 3rd floor apartment window. :)

I checked it out at the San Francisco auto show and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the hard plastics were clearly from Cruze, but they did a good job of making the car feel special and somewhat sporty. (touch responsive center stack, sporty looking and feeling steering wheel etc.)

Cotton
Cotton Dork
12/11/10 12:53 p.m.
Big ego wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: No. My '82 Corolla is long paid for and gets 32mpg.
no crap.. I got a 96 civic that returns a very solid 38mpg and my one way trip to work = 48 miles each way. The volt offers me nothing (neither does a prius or leaf) that I do not have already for $0 a month. Also have to point out that it is most green to reuse a car rather then get a new one (as long as the emissions of the old/older car are not silly).

I think all of us here could buy an old economy car for 1k or less (and....gasp...even pay cash for it) and get good mpg, but most don't want to drive something like that everyday. I know I don't. I'd much rather drive one of my older classics or my 91 Suburban, but then we're really talking less than stellar mpg.

As far as reusing old cars, well I totally agree with that, but I want something for the wife that's in warranty because I don't want to work on it. Working on her car(s) take time away from my projects. I don't know what she thinks of the Volt, honestly she probably doesn't even know it exists, but I may swing by a dealer and let her take a look at one sometime.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
12/12/10 12:35 p.m.

9 No would not buy it

6 Maybe (money restrictions, landlord, etc.)

0 yes (If you aren't going to the dealership in a reasonably soon amount of time your vote went to the maybe column.)

Cotton
Cotton Dork
12/12/10 6:09 p.m.
FlightService wrote: 9 No would not buy it 6 Maybe (money restrictions, landlord, etc.) 0 yes (If you aren't going to the dealership in a reasonably soon amount of time your vote went to the maybe column.)

Are any of the "no" people actually going to the dealer to buy any new car anytime soon?

FlightService
FlightService Reader
12/12/10 6:21 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
FlightService wrote: 9 No would not buy it 6 Maybe (money restrictions, landlord, etc.) 0 yes (If you aren't going to the dealership in a reasonably soon amount of time your vote went to the maybe column.)
Are any of the "no" people actually going to the dealer to buy *any* new car anytime soon?

That is a thought and this is far from a scientific survey. There was a Yes, but out of my price range. So it went to the maybe.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
12/12/10 6:22 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Are any of the "no" people actually going to the dealer to buy *any* new car anytime soon?

probably not.. but I never buy the first generation of any new technology...

I still do not see the value proposition over a prius.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XW5yvx58GlSwAV4LyE2DkqLsutq8xkfzL2o4b5TU7zTp3qtXYmpfNDAZRqMpIGug