Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/21 8:35 p.m.

As you’re all aware, used car prices are bananas. The wife and I have decided to take advantage of this and thin the fleet but can’t decide on which car goes.

My car: 2016 Golf R, 6MT, limestone grey, 38k miles, excellent condition, owned since late 2018, $13.5k left on a 2.9% loan, worth approximately $27-28k.

Her car: 2016 Golf TSI (base), 5MT, white, 22k miles, some cosmetic challenges, owned since new, paid off, worth approximately $14-15k.

Yes, we have two 2016 golfs, she would like all to know she bought hers first and is an automotive trendsetter in the household. I also have a beater 2005 frontier for truck stuff, and a 2004 330i for motorsports stuff and general hoonery. We both live in town and either walk or bike to work, neither of us need our cars on a daily basis.

The wife gets dibs on the remaining golf for client meetings & hauling her giant bass to gigs, I keep the truck & BMW. On paper, unloading the R wins, but it’s a damn nice place to spend time in when we go out of town. I love it, but I’m not emotionally attached. Either way we end up with at least a few $ in our pocket and enough left over to pay off R should we choose (which is the extent of our non-mortgage debt). She intends to drive the remaining golf into the ground, I’m more restless and figured I’d move on from the R at some point.

Anyone care to weigh in and help break the cycle of indecision? 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/13/21 8:54 p.m.

How much could you get for the 330i? 

The reason I ask is if you sell the R and you sell the 330i, could you pocket $7k for savings and get something that you'd enjoy more than the 330 and still have the monthly savings from not having the car payment? 

7/13/21 9:09 p.m.

The 330i is currency in pieces getting some love (subframe reinforcement, plus the whole "while you're in there" treatment). It will be done at the end of the month-ish. Hard to say on value, it's a ZHP and should be well sorted when I'm done, but has a total loss on the carfax, maybe 7k? Either way, no intention to sell it near-term, I have plans for rallycross, some track days, maybe even a drift event or two.

picture for good measure:

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/13/21 9:47 p.m.

Sell the R!

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/13/21 11:02 p.m.

Part with the R!

7/19/21 1:45 p.m.

advice sought, received, R sold. 

Carmax was the winner at $29,800, or $800 more than I paid almost 3 years and 16k miles ago. 

Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/21/21 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) :

What is the value of the BMW 330i? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vZTPDlI9ZLfCaPpV4nb9Ah9ZZNsj0Ar7ycOfOoPptywYmJsfcjdTfqfpBkmqCQYj