Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/12/20 10:12 a.m.

Hey guys,

My father texted me yesterday afternoon saying he needs me to do his rear brakes by Monday because he is traveling long distance and they're making a terrible grinding sound. Of course he needs this now. It is an 04 Sebring convertible Limited with the big V6 according to him. I don't know much about the car. I can't even verify if it has rear disk or drums. I also don't know that I trust him that it is the rear brakes that are making noise. He bought the car about a year or so ago with a bad transmission, and had his friendly mechanic friend replace the trans. Said mechanic friend is a terrible drunk that was clean for years, but is drunk again, so dad is relying on me. What am I up against?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 10:21 a.m.

Rockauto.com shows they are the same as the 01-06 Dodge Stratus and they have caliper, rotor and pad kits available for about $120/set.

Or you could just get rotors and pads.

Should be pretty straight forward to do as the rear wheels just hold the back end and keep it from wandering around too much.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/12/20 10:41 a.m.

Typically the v6 model got 4w disc, and the 4 cyl got drums. I would just be afraid of the 2.7 selfdistructing.....

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/12/20 10:43 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Typically the v6 model got 4w disc, and the 4 cyl got drums. I would just be afraid of the 2.7 selfdistructing.....

The engine isn't on me. It seems like a terrible car, and even worse to try to work out of as a floor installer, but he loves it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/12/20 11:03 a.m.

Its better than the 2dr hardtop IMO. 4dr and vert share the same platform with the coupe being an extended eclipse.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
8/12/20 11:05 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

They came with the 2.7 or 3.0 in that year.  If that helps ease yoru concerns at all.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
8/12/20 11:07 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Its better than the 2dr hardtop IMO. 4dr and vert share the same platform with the coupe being an extended eclipse.

Yep, talk about confusing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sebring#Second_generation_(ST-22/JR;_2001%E2%80%932006)

and it continues into the next gen since they carried the convertible over and switched the sedan/coupe to the Mitsu JS platform.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1cKgW8LxL6pmnljfEFBpG9mEzPhN0876COoLr3dRq4kOMl36vxT3ZXTEFwbn947w