1 2
ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/2/21 6:45 a.m.

Best looking Subaru evah.

We had a 2.2 back when those were new. The 4 cam engine was a bit of a POS when they first came out. I decided it was cheaper to just replicate the look with our 2.2.

Took awhile to gather all the parts. Never did get a decent front bumper (hard to find used). It got RS suspension too. Wasn't fast but handled well. Converted to Legacy front brakes. These cars are known as "Mr Potato Head" cars for a reason. Pretty much everything swaps around between models.

After 225,000 miles we parted with it and got a Forester that got WRX suspension, but that's another thread.

Modern Subarus are just...ugly. We went back to VWs.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 6:57 a.m.

Love the look of the 2.5RS, and they were available as a 4-door as well for people who needed better access to the rear seat.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 7:15 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The 4 cam was one year only or something like that, no?

I remember that the Production stage rally guys were fuming that they were not allowed to use an Outback Sport bumper, which was either the same item with a different part number, or so visually insignificant that you'd have to be a Subaru dork to tell the difference at a glance.  The different in PRICE was significant.

The write of the Impreza rally bible half-joked that he started to set up his cars for oversteer so he'd wreck rear bumpers more often than fronts.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/21 9:28 p.m.

I had a few of these cars.  They look great with dirt flyin' !!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/3/21 6:06 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

The 4 cam was one year only or something like that, no?

First two years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/3/21 3:54 p.m.

Anybody have a GC shell laying around they'd like to sell?  Our friends at Monolith Rally Team could use one right about now:

Shaun
Shaun Dork
11/19/21 12:26 p.m.

/\  Great picture!!  reminds of some very brave photos from the Mt Saint Helens eruption.

I ran a lowly base 4 door 1.6l manual Impreza of that era into the ground.  The 2.5RS was my aspirational car but the 1.6 in spite of a great chassis and very willing spirit (you know what I mean) ate 3 trasaxles in 5 years and 100k.  Some bearing(s) but I never opened one up.  The 4th trasaxle started making noise and I sold it to a guy who was going to swap a WRX drive train into it.  That put me off Subies..  although a sorted 2.5RS is still very appealing.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/17/22 3:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

My wife and I came close to buying a new one but wound up with a 2000 Civic Si instead. Neither would have been a wrong answer. 

Yep, those were the same two cars that I cross shopped also. The Honda had the better motor but the Subie had all wheel drive which is almost essential here in Michigan in winter. Loved that car and it started me on my life long love of Subies. My next car was the new to the States 2002 WRX in Blaze yellow, one of only 400 (if I remember correctly) in that color, that year. Also came with a MOMO stering wheeel. With that car Subaru  offered a membership to the SCCA along with a credit for Subaru merchandise from LL Bean I believe or some such supplier. I ordered the car and my Subie wear and waited 6 months to get it. My dealer said I was the first one to take delivery in the US of the limited yellow WRX...........and much like the internet we all know it has to be true as sales people never tell a fib. My next car was the new to the US 2004 STi. Four other Subaru's followed those two over the years. Never had any problems with any of them, no glass trannies or blown motors for me. Really liked the Civic Si too as I had already had two CRX's, one being a Si model.

2002 Subaru WRX in Blaze yellow below.

Scoobysouth
Scoobysouth None
4/17/22 7:16 p.m.

I had a 2000 RS bought Brand new 9/9/99.. Aspen White.. when I bought it, the salesman said,
"Are you going to one of those guys that go out and thrash on it every month?  I was like, Do Tell... All the Hawaii RS folks got together every month for a local AutoX.  Those folks became LIFELONG friends.... and yes I-Club is where we shared all of information and findings... Loved that car.. one that I wish I still had.. But that started my love for quirky brand.. :)

Swapped RS 2004

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/22 8:42 p.m.

As much as I'd love a GC, it appears I am destined to build a GD v7 STI clone / rally car of my own out of my 02 RS.  The wife has given permission to fund this silliness.  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/19/22 11:24 a.m.

In my opinion, best looking IMpreza ever.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FlNHFyDuTJ278vNp8zfLItzL8OglUobLEQJFbsPQOdacDXotmB0xN7QLdKjT4CYD