Jay
Jay Dork
7/31/09 10:12 a.m.

Apparently at one time KE3x Corollas were really popular in Indonesia. 2- and 4-door sedan versions only, never seen a wagon or a coupe. Even today there are still a heck of a lot of them out on the roads, even though other cars from that era are mostly gone by now.

In this country a car is still a huge purchase for your average middle-class family, and they're kept and cared for far longer than they would be in North America or Europe. The 'roadside mechanic' industry is thriving.

I snapped these two parked just a few dozen metres away from each other in downtown Padang, West Sumatera. The state of these cars over here ranges from super showroom clean:

...to, well, not so much:

It's actually fairly rare to see a complete heap like the brown one running around. I'd say most of them are somewhere between the two extremes.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
7/31/09 10:20 a.m.

I would happily drive either of those.

I really like driving my friend's '80 liftback. Sweet little (slow) car.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
7/31/09 10:30 a.m.

I lived in Malaysia for a while, working for Esso. What are you doing in Indonesa?

Jay
Jay Dork
7/31/09 11:17 a.m.

Erik, I'm a geophysicist for the German-Indonesian Tsunami Early Warning System. We're installing autonomous GPS stations to monitor ground slip after an earthquake. It's basically a giant scam that allows me do things like hire a boat and go island hopping around the Mentawais for three days on company dime. I like my job.

^^ I got paid to go here.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/31/09 11:20 a.m.

How much is a beer over there, Jay?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/31/09 11:24 a.m.

I probably haven't seen a 'Rolla like those in nearly 20 years.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
7/31/09 12:45 p.m.
Jay wrote: Erik, I'm a geophysicist for the German-Indonesian Tsunami Early Warning System. We're installing autonomous GPS stations to monitor ground slip after an earthquake. It's basically a giant scam that allows me do things like hire a boat and go island hopping around the Mentawais for three days on company dime. I like my job. ^^ I got paid to go here.

Coolio.

I have my Undergrad degree in Geophysics (University of Illinois, 1999) So hook me up, I will come and help you. Talk to your boss, or whomever and tell them that the comapny needs me. Thanks! :)

warpedredneck
warpedredneck New Reader
7/31/09 1:17 p.m.

ummmm im not a jealous type person,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i think i hate you! jk enjoy every minute it looks stunning

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ZiW832vC2TNYdo6Xbs2cAQx3kXw99PIgxDRpNgjVeLqdpoxGilmpaHoknNe2UE4