Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/16 7:36 p.m.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/16 7:47 p.m.
The PSI adjustability is pretty impressive. For example, it can remove the ink from a business card without harming the cardstock. It can even remove the “M” on an M&M without damaging the colored coating.

That's... Impressive.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/16 8:55 p.m.

I really like that wonder if someone is doing it around here. Wonder ow it works on road salt and what not form ne winter driving.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/13/16 9:34 p.m.

I have to wonder if there aren't some downsides to the process. I'm sure it works well on straight metal, but is it definitely the choice you want to make for all other materials, even if it cleans them well? For instance, ever leave a garden hose outside over winter?

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
8/13/16 10:34 p.m.

Interesting. The best preserved parts of old British cars is often the most oil soaked parts around the transmission and diff. I have often heard of steam cleaning the undercarriage to remove oil and salt residue, but I wonder if being spotless clean is really better in the long run. Nevertheless, this appears to do a wonderful job of cleaning a chassis.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/16 11:24 p.m.

I think it would be great for aluminum engines and transmissions too.. or any other metal that does not rust. It would have been great for removing all the bottom paint from my sailboat and would have saved me a couple of weeks of nasty work with a sander

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/14/16 8:18 a.m.

I wonder how it would do cleaning braided cloth wiring harnesses...

The0retical
The0retical Dork
8/14/16 9:46 a.m.

Interesting. I've heard of it being done on both aircraft and in food processing plants, in lieu of chemicals, but I'd never seen it used in an automotive application. Makes sense though.

There's also apparently a website which specializes in listing used equipment. Boy is it spendy.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
8/14/16 11:56 a.m.

We had a couple of units where I worked. They were used for cleaning the weekly build up of wax off of aluminum molds used to mold automotive foam seating. They did such a good job that we had to stop using them. It took too long to get a good base coat on the molds after cleaning.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/16 1:47 p.m.

As a kid I use to help my grandfather apply oil to the bottom of various family cars. We would then dust it with fine dried clay/dirt and then spray more oil on.

We also use to spray oil on our driveway to help keep the dust down.

Times have changed.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/16 2:12 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: We had a couple of units where I worked. They were used for cleaning the weekly build up of wax off of aluminum molds used to mold automotive foam seating. They did such a good job that we had to stop using them. It took too long to get a good base coat on the molds after cleaning.

That reminds me of the time I got carried away doing dishes and scrubbed one of her Very Old cast-iron pans down to bare metal.

She didn't say anything but I could tell she was upset.

(still feel kinda bad about it)

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/14/16 2:57 p.m.

hmmmmm, wonder if it would work to pull up old underlayment.......

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/16 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

If it hasn't been restored yet let me know and I'll give you my process to break it back in. Bonus is you get to eat bacon.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/14/16 3:18 p.m.

The old workplace had curing ovens w/ chain conveyors. Think gigunda pizza oven 35' plus long. The only way to efficiently clean the chain was w/ dry ice. Of course after I saw the blast set up my mind wondered what else this could work on. Guess that has been answered.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/16 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

This was about 24-25 years ago. I think Mom got the situation under control

Long before that, she was extremely possessive about her wok. She was the only one allowed to use it, or wash it, and she had an oildown procedure after washing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/16 7:08 p.m.

One of the home improvement shows used dry ice to clean mold off the trusses and sheathing in an attic. just created a little sawdust. Very cool process.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
8/15/16 6:21 a.m.

I've used it instead of sandblasting at work in a chemical plant. Great for areas you don't want filled with dust.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/16/16 8:36 a.m.

Yup, my brother works for Southeast Air Gas and he sells tons of pelletized dry ice to some local shops that do blasting. I always figured if I was going to ever repaint my Olds convertible I'd have it dry ice blasted so I wouldn't have to strip the interior.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
8/16/16 9:15 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: It would have been great for removing all the bottom paint from my sailboat and would have saved me a couple of weeks of nasty work with a sander

And now I know what I will do for a working retirement....

java230
java230 Dork
8/16/16 9:43 a.m.

Cool, Never seen it used on cars like that. But we have used it in place of soda blasting, no dust (other than the crap blasted off) is nice.

maj75
maj75 Reader
8/16/16 10:41 p.m.

I had it done to my Corvette and have seen it done on some other exotics by a local shop. AFAIK is isn't very abrasive, really will not remove rust or paint. It a cleaner/detailer. The cold freezes the oil and dirt and the pressure blows it of the surface. It will remove light powdery corrosion off aluminum, but doesn't harm rubber or paint. Perfect for removing oily crud from and engine compartment and suspension without having to take everything apart. At the end there is a pile of dust under the car. No moisture as the ice vaporizes. The dust is what is left of the old oily crud. You can sweep it up, it isn't even oily or messy anymore.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/16 2:43 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: As a kid I use to help my grandfather apply oil to the bottom of various family cars. We would then dust it with fine dried clay/dirt and then spray more oil on. We also use to spray oil on our driveway to help keep the dust down. Times have changed.

The county would come around and spray the gravel roads with waste oil when I was a kid, too. Take that, environment!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lSOJoe5GiLtTmRmSpvff9ocn5XgSxrUGZ5V5Tb0rCDJdROCQxbynQhEqLsl9J2uM