Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
1/24/10 7:18 p.m.

I read on another thread that simple Green and hot water is a good way to clean aluminum. Is that the way to go at home without a pressure washer etc.?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/10 7:46 p.m.

I clean aluminum parts with aluminum-colored spray paint.

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
1/24/10 7:52 p.m.

phosphoric acid for aluminum cleaning

Go to your local home improvement/supply store and look for a cleaner containing the above acid. You may find in in the section where they sell products to clean concrete. There are other uses for it as well. Cost should be from $12-15 per gallon. You mix water with it at about a 3 or 4:1 ratio of water to acid. It will remove rust from steel and clean aluminum to near like new condition. You can leave the aluminum in the solution for hours at a time without hurting it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/24/10 8:09 p.m.

Simple Green and a scrub brush does a pretty good job, but if they're still dirty get some heavy duty aluminum wheel cleaner. Look for the stuff that says, "not for clear coated wheels" on the bottle.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/24/10 8:56 p.m.

im gonna try the dishwasher method myself, im hoping it works for both grease and cleaning aluminum.

Andrew

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
1/24/10 9:16 p.m.

From my AL baking sheets, etc., in the dishwasher you'll get clean of grease but the detergent will stain/discolor the aluminum.

I thought simple green stained aluminum?

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
1/24/10 10:38 p.m.

My buddy bought a 944 shell, and while swapping parts to his current 944 we took the time to clean everything off.

We pulled over 1lb of road grime off the transaxel alone. We cleaned all the parts with solvent concentrate from Harbor Freight. We bought a big bottle meant to be diluted and used in solvent tanks, and filled up spray bottles with it, then used wire brushes to scrub. Parts came out looking brand new.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 HalfDork
1/24/10 11:52 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I clean aluminum parts with aluminum-colored spray paint.

haha, I use flat black, and leave them on the car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/25/10 9:04 a.m.
pigeon wrote: I thought simple green stained aluminum?

I've never had a problem with it. Maybe if you left the aluminum part soaking in Simple Green for a long time, but I spray it on, scrub, and then rinse it off.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/25/10 9:15 a.m.
jimbbski wrote: phosphoric acid for aluminum cleaning Go to your local home improvement/supply store and look for a cleaner containing the above acid. You may find in in the section where they sell products to clean concrete. There are other uses for it as well. Cost should be from $12-15 per gallon. You mix water with it at about a 3 or 4:1 ratio of water to acid. It will remove rust from steel and clean aluminum to near like new condition. You can leave the aluminum in the solution for hours at a time without hurting it.

just make sure you add acid to water, not the other way around. If the acid reacts to the water and theres more acid than water, look out, you will likely die. If tyou add acid to water, since theres water than acid as you mix the solution, any reaction will be minimized by the fact that the solution will be mostly inert water

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G7sIw2nnOk5OJfdhriTha7FXib79tL3twR5snF9shFylwuZXz2GXvegQ4rPpDV2I