The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
10/15/18 7:50 a.m.

Originally posted by Edward Higginbotham in 2017

Each year, we host 50 of the country's fastest track cars at Virginia International Raceway for the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge.

Back in 2017, one entry definitely stood out to officials and competitors alike: Billy Glavin's 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL. Crowds gathered and gawked as Billy's CSL slowly made its way …

Read the rest of the story

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/15/18 10:03 a.m.

Is this the same CSL clone that ran the Pittsburgh Vintage GP this summer?

Storz
Storz SuperDork
10/15/18 10:36 a.m.

That is the stuff of dreams! 

tlott01
tlott01 New Reader
10/17/18 12:12 p.m.

Wow - just wow. Somewhere in my boxes of old car magazines I have an issue of Road&Track with an article about the battles between the BMW CSLs and Ford Capris racing in Europe. Now I have to go dig it out...

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/17/18 1:47 p.m.

In 1978 or so, my dad ended up with a 3.0 CSL racecar.  He was co-owner of a German car repair and parts business in South Texas, when one of his customers called him about “some BMW” that was in the back of the semi and trailer he just bought at a sheriff auction for his grocery business.  It was a roller, due to an engine letting go in testing at Road Atlanta, and had some light front end damage from the resulting spin in it’s own oil.

Somehow, the semi and racecar ended up in a vacant field near the Mexican border, where it stayed for a few days before it was confiscated.  My dad ended up buying the car, and it’s 4 sets of BBS 3 piece wheels, for $2,500.  

After looking through several parts catalogs over the next few months, my dad came to the conclusion it was gonna be around $15,000 just for the engine pieces alone, and it would still need a transmission and cosmetics.  Luckily, before too much longer, Alf Gebhardt, who was running a 3.0L in IMSA and SCCA, called up and bought it sight unseen, for a tidy little profit for my dad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uFkPlJcXGutPItPvH31lCLVJbHUWDDQ6JxuGjUxAc53DIcmzL7MtnSJoe726ZSx5