WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/21 8:40 a.m.

Fellas,

I need some assistance with a new clutch not disengaging on my 7.3 powerstroke diesel. 

Symptoms:

Start van in neutral. Grinds when trying to engage any gear. Started van in gear, clutch definitely seems to drag.

Background:

1996 E350 7.3 diesel van. Swapped in a used ZF5 transmission. Slave cylinder is new from a 1996 F250 diesel. Master cylinder is a Wilwood, there's not enough room under the dash for the F250 master cylinder. According to my calculations the Wilwood master cylinder moves about 20% more fluid than the F250 master cylinder, so I don't think that's the problem. New LUK single mass clutch kit with flywheel included. 

video of clutch engagement:

https://youtu.be/Bby_Hbm3U00

Is that enough travel to disengage the clutch or do I have something else going on? 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
3/3/21 8:50 a.m.

I'd prefer a bit more movement.

Is it possible that the clutch disc or flywheel is warped?

That would explain the gear grinding.

WillG80
3/3/21 8:56 a.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

Jim,

I'll trying to bleed it again today to see if I can get more movement. The flywheel and clutch disk is all brand new (and about 40lbs) so I think warpage is unlikely. Would there be a spec on how much travel is normal? 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/3/21 10:03 a.m.

Bleed it again and then some more.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/21 10:31 a.m.

If there is no air in the system its either the master cylinder is  not moving  the slave cylinder far enough, or the slave cylinder just does not have the stroke required, to fully disengage the clutch. 

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/3/21 12:36 p.m.

Was this originally an automatic transmission equipped vehicle? I ask this because Rockauto lists zero manual transmission/clutch parts for that E350. Nor can find any *bay listings for man transmissions for E350s. Sorry if this is a stupid question...

WillG80
3/3/21 2:05 p.m.

In reply to FMB42 :

Not a stupid question at all. The 92+ econoline vans never came with manuals, autos only. The foot wells are narrower so fitting a 3rd pedal is a challenge. And there's no room in the engine bay for a master cylinder, hence mine being under the dash. 

WillG80
3/3/21 2:07 p.m.

Thanks all, got it figured out. The master cylinder wasn't traveling through its entire stroke so it wasn't pushing enough fluid to the slave. A small adjustment and it works great. 

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/3/21 2:27 p.m.

Good news Will. Glad you figured it out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5n8Ef2wsIKpOAreKPF3HHWUcZeR6qbwBMOtYCWHD9uVDecP2Rz9srWFePBzOQHzT