seeker589
seeker589 Reader
3/24/10 9:03 p.m.

I'm just posting a "food for thought" post.

My car (1994 Integra LS) came with a new clutch, slave, and master cylinder. When I drove the car for the first 20 or so minutes - it seemed fine. After a while the clutch started slipping - BADLY!

The simplest action to start solving the problem was to bleed the clutch system. So...

I went out and bought a pair of speed bleeders from Russell (Part # 639520 - thread size - 8mm x 1.25 x 24mm) and replaced the standard bleeder screw.

Thinking I would be getting lots of air bubbles - I started bleeding - no bubbles. What I did find was some VERY dirty fluid - like scary dirty.

I urge you to bleed your system. It is a simple procedure and the clutch action is just perfect.

Next - I bleed the brake system - no telling what I'm gonna find in there!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/10 9:09 p.m.

a lot of car companies recommend every 2 years for brake fluid changes.. non-silicone fluid absorbs water and can do it right through the seals and hoses in your brake and clutch system. This not only lowers the boiling point, but intruduces an oxidation factor into those systems

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/10 9:31 p.m.

Once a year for me on the 7 and TBird when I had them. I still have to do the Miata, but I think I'm going to replace the line between the slave and master first. John has to do it every 6 months in the GTO.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
3/24/10 9:35 p.m.

For whatever reason, I've always found the fluid from the clutch slave is dirtier than that from the brakes. Bear in mind, this is on BMWs, which use a shared reservoir for both, and I change the fluid every two years pretty religiously.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/24/10 9:37 p.m.

Miata clutch fluid reservoirs are notoriously dirty. To the point that I cannot ever remember seeing a clean one, unless I just bled the system. Always much dirtier than the brakes, even if they were bled at the same time. No clue as to why, and they are separate systems.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/24/10 11:03 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: For whatever reason, I've always found the fluid from the clutch slave is dirtier than that from the brakes. Bear in mind, this is on BMWs, which use a shared reservoir for both, and I change the fluid every two years pretty religiously.

The clutch goes full-stroke and often, so it wears the seals far faster than the brake side.

One of my cars is an RX-7, so the fluid gets changed very regularly, since I seem to have to change clutch hydraulics more often than I renew the registration.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
3/24/10 11:47 p.m.

If you ever want an exercise in futility, try bleeding a Miata (or RX7) clutch with a vacuum bleeder. Best way to tire out your hand EVER.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
3/25/10 10:46 p.m.

I need to flush the fluid in my camaro, the reservoir looks like it has motor oil in it. Because of the bleeder placement I will also be drilling a hole in the transmission tunnel to make the process easier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
keBWPVnxuOP8cyyM07SniefcZDjANiRkn3w4LkxkxnzODIW8mujNv1pGMiVVLV2E