QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/16 11:31 a.m.

A RX8 club member has a Cobb tuner for sale for $300. Has anyone used one? Are they worth the investment? Would I be better served applying $300 in bag balm to the splitter?

Advice please

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/30/16 12:02 p.m.

I have the V3 Accessport for the MS3. It's a nice piece of equipment.

However.... The Accessport for the RX-8 ended at V2. So its quite a bit slower and doesn't store as much data. I'm not even sure that Cobb offers the Accesstuner software for it anymore (you know to do the actual tuning) so you'd have to make sure he has the installer. If you're going to get it professionally tuned I'm sure someone can come up with it.

The other option is Versatune which isn't as slick since it uses your laptop for datalogging and tuning but it is still a live and developing product.

Edit: It appears that Versatune only supports the 09+ RX-8. I have no idea what the differences in the ECU are so maybe you'd be better off seeing if the AccessTuner software is available through Cobb or the Seller first.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
11/30/16 12:11 p.m.

This guy has taken over the Accessports for RX8's: MazdaManiac

IIRC, your RX-8 is a challenge build which sadly rules out an Adaptronic stand alone: Awesomesauce

calteg
calteg Dork
11/30/16 12:16 p.m.

Just asked my buddies at COBB, they all said spend your $300 at MazdaManiac

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
11/30/16 12:31 p.m.

I dont think you gain any hp with those.

the 09+ is a very similar yet entirely different beast. different engine, different ports, different manifolds, OMP. etc etc

but again I doubt you gain any HP with those. maybe with a re-tune without a cat there is some benefit but I can't imagine more than 10hp

QuasiMofo
11/30/16 6:31 p.m.

So this:

Would be a better use of $300?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/30/16 6:39 p.m.

i'd say a $500 rotbox exploder with the gt40 heads would be a better use.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/16 8:25 p.m.

I have always wanted to put an ecoboost in a rx8. No idea if it would fit but it is how my mind works l.

QuasiMofo
12/1/16 5:07 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

I'm looking, the closest things I've found in Exploder/Mountaqueer are 4.0L or engine damage.

I've got time.

I'd prefer LS on weight and power over 5.0L regardless

QuasiMofo
12/1/16 5:09 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Agreed, this car isn't worth the investment but as soon as I can afford another one you better believe that what I would like to do with it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e336AbA1EIsYB1a5a88xS72u8MThWClaEv4rIcXaCVXpBZWEN9zJpu7G2fTd291U