1 2
Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/26/21 10:49 p.m.

couldnt decide on a color for our miata so y"all will choose.

this is the color my dad came up with

and this is the one i came up with

we're just using the game for referance this will be painted or wrapped on an irl miata.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/26/21 11:04 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/21 11:17 p.m.

Just want to point out that Lil Stampie didn't believe me when I said that Topas Blau in German meant Topaz Blue.  I'm a lot better on colors than him.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 5:31 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Is your color brown or orange? On my phone it looks like peanut butter - which I'm ok with, as long as you make it look like a peanut. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/27/21 5:48 a.m.

Od green!!!!

Or the second picture, which is a far second place to od green. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 7:15 a.m.

Wrap wise, think outside the box, select your favorite GRM cover that features an MA Miata and wrap it in the cover, not merely the livery of the car on it. 

Otherwise I suggest a wrap of a metallic blue paisley. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 7:17 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stampie :

Is your color brown or orange? On my phone it looks like peanut butter - which I'm ok with, as long as you make it look like a peanut. 

*and* you have to dress like Mr. Peanut everywhere you go. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/21 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

What is the purpose and going forward story of this car and how should that lend itself to a color?

Is this a fashion vehicle?  Or, is this more of a function over fashion approach?  Is there a story that could be told in color?

Fashion statement: I might choose Magenta.   There was a former MX3 Special Edition in this color:

To me, OD Green is a good color for function over fashion.  

If swapping in a Ford V8 then a nod to Ford might lead me to a color like Ford Grabber Blue

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/21 7:48 a.m.

I also think that bright orange looks good on Miatas.  It certainly is not a bad idea to go "hi-viz" on a car that is generally "low-viz"

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/27/21 8:09 a.m.

Alsa prizmacolor over black basecoat.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

It's supposed to be burnt orange. It's a little too brown in the picture.  The purpose of this is right now is three different whites because of crash repairs with a faded chipped red hardtop. It's definitely a 20 footer.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/21 8:28 a.m.

I've never seen a harlequin Miata.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/27/21 8:54 a.m.

Either that orange or something like Chrysler "Torred" red.  Or possibly white.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/27/21 9:03 a.m.

The red in the second photo looks like Mazda's Soul Red which looks great in person. The paint process is quite elaborate from what I've read but I'm sure close enough can be had.

John Welsh said:

I also think that bright orange looks good on Miatas.  It certainly is not a bad idea to go "hi-viz" on a car that is generally "low-viz"

In the same vein, a fire truck yellow would be good so the Miata isn't camouflaged among cones.

Honda has a similar color called Tonic Yellow.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 9:10 a.m.

I've always thought NA Miatas look good in strong, bright colors. Last time I got to pick one, I ended up with an electric blue that looks great. 3M "Cosmic blue".

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/27/21 9:14 a.m.
j_tso said:

The red in the second photo looks like Mazda's Soul Red which looks great in person. The paint process is quite elaborate from what I've read but I'm sure close enough can be had.

John Welsh said:

In the same vein, a fire truck yellow would be good so the Miata isn't camouflaged among cones.

Honda has a color called Tonic Yellow that's like a fire truck.

Certainly better than their "shiny primer" color.    That trend need to stop!

For ideas, this is my Miata.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I don't think it's any worse than mine. If I ever get ambitious enough to pay someone to paint it, I'm going for Ford's Sunrise Red. 

johndej
johndej Dork
11/27/21 11:49 a.m.

Can copy the 30 year ND orange

johndej
johndej Dork
11/27/21 11:51 a.m.

Also just came across this neat graphic

calteg
calteg Dork
11/27/21 3:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Came here to suggest Lotus' chrome orange

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 4:56 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

It's a really expensive triple stage. I used it on my Locost and would not have wanted to pay for more of it :)

It also rewards a car with sharp chines so the highlights can stand out, like the Elise. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
11/27/21 5:18 p.m.

+1 for 30AE orange.  It was a strong contender for our NB's upcoming paint, but my wife and I couldn't come to an agreement on an accent color, and ultimately our tan interior didn't really work.  BTW, if you have Forza on Xbox, you can do a lot of experimenting...

Another color I came very close to using is Toyota Voodoo Blue from recent Tacomas.  This NB is an Audi color, but very similar to the Toyota color:

I also think Kawasaki green (either the old plain version, or the newer metallics) would look great on an NA.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 7:07 p.m.

How about a wrap that consist of a pattern of various license plates, making the likelihood of getting citations from speed cameras less likely. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/27/21 8:45 p.m.

White with martini stripes

Wait, you're saying that's been done?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
11/27/21 9:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to calteg :

It's a really expensive triple stage. I used it on my Locost and would not have wanted to pay for more of it :)

It also rewards a car with sharp chines so the highlights can stand out, like the Elise. 

You can get similar results cheaper and easier, this is simple BC/CC and on par with average automotive paint prices (around $500 all in as I recall)

No photo description available.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yhzeQVBSSdPy6IIQaiYRziEYJP5cw2uKIooPJWUeoaRfRs4PMStii2TnB0oLCCHD