1 2 3 4
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/24/19 9:47 a.m.

Highland green or something close is classy, beautiful and timeless. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/24/19 10:51 a.m.

Counting each color suggestion as one vote, each like as one and each quote as one, the results so far:

Gulf: 10

Highland Green or similar: 5

Purp: 4

Grabber Blue: 7

Yellow: 2

Brown: 3

Original silver w/ stripes: 5

I may be missing some, caffeine hasn't hit yet. And some others I left out because I'm a shiny happy person.

Keep em coming. The weather will be quite cooperative in a few weeks giving me some time to sand and prep.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/19 11:07 a.m.

Gulf or no paint at all.

And no spray cans.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/19 11:13 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

laughWhite or grey.

With black trim. laugh

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/24/19 11:19 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Streetwiseguy said:

laughWhite or grey.

With black trim. laugh

It aint the internet without trolls, even here.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 11:30 a.m.

I realize that with the "stay silver" suggestion that I am violating the rules you put in place. Even worse, it is generally a recommendation to go silver /black two tone. A double violation. 

The silver will not be conducive to your desire to paint the car in stages. However, the two-tone might lend itself to being able to do the different colors in two stages.  One of silver, the other of black. 

The real bulk of my "stay silver" recommendation is since you do not seem to have the time needed to paint the car in one stage, you certainly will not have the time to do the detail work needed for a full color change. 

Of course, we don't really know what your end goal is. Will this car be getting a full rebuild or just a low budget beater? 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/24/19 11:44 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The whole idea of this car is very much of the DF method "don't do it right just make it work". It runs well and I've done all the maintenance and know the car will drive for a long time, cheaply. Not at all looking for a show quality job here and very willing to color sand later. The shot I posted of the car doesn't do justice to how bad the paint really is. Runs, "textures", flaws, primer, just so much bad. I don't really hate the current color, but I much prefer something eye-catching. Also colors>shades.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/19 5:21 p.m.

This thread makes me want another fox body. Preferably an early GT or Cobra.

Error404
Error404 New Reader
8/24/19 5:48 p.m.

My first vote would be for racing tan, I'm trying to convince SWMBO not to leave me if I start making plans to paint mine that color.

In a close second, I would say yellow but that blue silver looks pretty sleek as well.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/24/19 8:00 p.m.

Some shots of how terrible the paint really is. 

Needs paint. 

Ottawa
Ottawa GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/19 8:25 p.m.

How about

or

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/24/19 8:31 p.m.

MSP Blue looks good on a Foxbody: Image result for msp foxbody mustang

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
8/24/19 8:48 p.m.

Lightning blue has always been my favorite.  I've even considered painting stripes that color on my car:

At least I did until I had this for a loaner for a few days:

It's just not a good color for Florida, since it absorbs so much heat.  It's gorgeous in the sun, though, and would be great for cooler climes.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/24/19 8:50 p.m.

I think it should be orange for reasons. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
8/24/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

MSP blue looks good on most anything.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 9:29 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

In reply to kazoospec :

MSP blue looks good on most anything.

Except for in your rear view mirror, in Michigan 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/25/19 8:32 p.m.

I asked the wife to look through this thread and cast her vote. She got to the first gulf suggestion and that was that. So pending sanding and buying paint... also she did these for me real quick:

It’ll need some fine tuning, but I kinda like it. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/25/19 8:35 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

nice.

also in that first pic, the mailboxes would almost look like a big wing if you angled them back a bit...and squinted a lot...it needs a big wing, is what i'm saying.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/19 9:35 p.m.

I like your wife. Not often I get to say that and not get punched. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/25/19 10:00 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Re. “big wing”: you should know that this is a commuter car. It has no aspirations of speed. It has an unmodified 2.3. With a carb and no turbo. 

That said, I don’t disagree with you. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/25/19 10:24 p.m.

The slower a car is, the more it needs a wing to ward off threats. It's like those animals that use bright colors to scare off much larger predators, or something.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/25/19 11:16 p.m.
slowbird said:

The slower a car is, the more it needs a wing to ward off threats. It's like those animals that use bright colors to scare off much larger predators, or something.

An unhappy scorpion fish reminds us that he is venomous

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/26/19 8:04 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

Good point. I was apparently thinking of Batesian mimicry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batesian_mimicry

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/27/19 9:29 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Good point! What I gave you would have been a case of mullerian mimicry, and that's my mistake..... I always tell my students that Batsians are Bluffing, and Mullerians are Members of the dangerous group

I was so excited to show off a picture from one of my scuba dives that I didn't think it through.  that scorpion fish was threatening my wife because he thought she was a little too close.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/27/19 10:46 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

You need to get her an underwater gat.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Ni4Mw4PSboU7cUgV7Ia72OfKvUSTaVNT3o9jABjvHNH0LRfmloZTnZrxp7TDDDC