David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/5/20 8:51 a.m.

[Editor's note: This article originally ran in the August 2017 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

The human body is a pretty resilient thing, I thought to myself while lying in a pile of leaves on the side of the road, having just crashed on my bike in spectacular fashion. But it’s not infallible, I concluded. 

I didn’t go to med school, …

Read the rest of the story

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/20 8:57 a.m.

Wow, for once I'm really glad to see that this article is from 3 years ago. I hope you're fully recovered by now.

Point well taken.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/5/20 10:27 a.m.

Dress for the crash................

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/20 3:15 p.m.

Beyond use your safety gear - think about what you're doing. As an example the lady I met walking her Great Pyrenees she used to jog with her dog. One day they were out jogging along and he stopped so she stopped at the expense of a separated shoulder and concussion, so always think about your surroundings and be prepared.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/5/20 4:31 p.m.

I'm thinking of starting up a Senior Citizen tumbling class business.  Too many seniors fall on ice or other reasons and break hips and elbows.  

I would have local classes and my class would teach them how to properly tuck and roll and save breaking an arm or a hip.   

My eldest cousin crashed his bike about a year ago. Lost it on some wet leaves, off the road, over the handle bars and into a ditch. He didn't break his arm though, he broke his neck. 

Luckily there were witnesses to the crash. They kept him stabilized until the EMS arrived and got him to the hospital. Surgery, months in a halo, months of PT, he's back to riding again.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YCGHcHUG0rTjUAetCsv59X1sXKQlUpSHPAkav7LzIGX5FOGbVklnS25h6HqZBjwn