David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/12/20 8:30 a.m.

Whenever we post something on the Grassroots Motorsports Facebook page, it’s a total guess as to how it will do. Something we actually spent some time and brain power crafting? Never know, it could blow up and succeed like the latest cat video or it might go over like Crystal Pepsi. 

A while back I posted a silly meme showing …

Read the rest of the story

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 8:41 a.m.

And he won in Jacksonville.  At one point it was discussed painting our Challenge car in his livery.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/12/20 9:53 a.m.

This guy ran a NASCAR Grand National Team on a low budget with very few sponsors in a small garage. He should be the Patron Saint of the Challenge. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/12/20 10:28 a.m.

For me the thing I most remember is Ned Jarret saying the guy could hang the back of the car out further than any other drive Jarret had ever seen.....................mad skills and huge respect.

David S. Wallens
11/12/20 1:36 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

This guy ran a NASCAR Grand National Team on a low budget with very few sponsors in a small garage. He should be the Patron Saint of the Challenge. 

You know, you raise a strong point. 

Richard Richer
Richard Richer
11/12/20 2:32 p.m.

For a more complete story on Wendell Scott, read "Hard Driving : The Wendell Scott Story - The American Odyssey of Nascar's First Black Driver", written by Brian Donovan, himself a seasoned race car driver (SCCA) and twice awarded the Pulitzer prize for his newspaper reporting at Newsday in NY.  And coincidentally my son-in-law's dad.  Brian passed away a few years ago but his book stands the testament of time.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/12/20 3:14 p.m.

I have an email old Car and Driver that wrote him up - great story.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Richard Richer :

I have a copy of that book. It's an amazing, albeit sad story. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Richard Richer :

That was a fantastic book.  I read the entire thing in two days.

chada75
chada75 HalfDork
11/12/20 9:14 p.m.

My late friends dad worked for various NASCAR cup teams in the 60s and 70s before becoming a east coast two cycle kart legend. He said that Wendel would pull in for pit work and while his kids was working on the car, he would go to the concession stand to get a hot dog before reentering the race!

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
11/12/20 10:13 p.m.

I'm sorry, I thought you said Randolph Scott......

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/12/20 10:43 p.m.

Thanks for sharing. I just threw it on my FB page.

oneway
oneway New Reader
11/14/20 10:18 a.m.

As a young race fan that grew up in the Northeast in the 60's & 70's I remember going to the NASCAR Grand National-now NASCAR CUP SERIES-events  that came on their Northern swing.  Islip Speedway in NY, Trenton Fairgrounds Speedway in NJ, and Thompson Speedway in CT were three of the tracks they competed at and fondly remember the good old days of NASCAR-real stock car racing.  Petty, Pearson, Darrel Dieringer, Tiny Lund, Ned Jarrett, were some of the bigger names of the day that came North to race and always recall #34 Wendell Scott also being there.  Sadly most fans recognized him as  " a black race driver" instead of just a very good race driver that was competing very respectfully in the very top tier of stock car racing.  Wendell Scott was truly a pioneer in auto racing and should be remembered and honored not for being black but for being a true lover of auto racing who was skilled enough to compete at the highest level and stock car racing for many years.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

KentF (Forum Supporter)
KentF (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/14/20 4:57 p.m.

Would have been good to know him.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/14/20 5:58 p.m.

There’s a Warner Bros. movie called “Greased Lightning”, with Richard Pryor as Wendell Scott.

David S. Wallens
11/16/20 12:55 p.m.
racerfink said:

There’s a Warner Bros. movie called “Greased Lightning”, with Richard Pryor as Wendell Scott.

Yup. I saw it as a kid. Good watching. 

The Wendell Scott Foundation has a Facebook page, too. 

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
9/16/21 3:56 p.m.

I don't remember a time when I did not follow auto racing.  As an 8 year old I knew who Johnny Unitas was.  I knew who Mickey Mantle was.  I knew who Wilt Chamberlain was.  I could tell you how much money Fred Lorenzen won in 1963.  I could tell you before the race that yes, Junior Johnson was fast in Ray Fox's Chevrolet, but it would probably blow up.  It did.  Often.  Auto racing, particularly NASCAR, was my sport.  Lorenzen was the guy I pulled for but I always kept an ear open to hear how Wendell Scott was doing.  Not because he was trying to beat considerable odds.  Not because he was a great driver.  Because he campaigned, at the time, a steel blue '62 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe which, except for the car color, number on the door, and dents looked just like the one my Grandparents drove.  Chevrolets were rare in the starting fields at the time.  Columbia Speedway ran two Grand National races every year and #34 was there every time.  Making laps and, I believe, always around at the finish.  It would be awhile before I would come to appreciate the challenges he faced over and above that of every other driver without enough funding.  But face them he did.  And deserves every belated accolade he receives.  

There are a lot of stories in print and film that attempt to convey Mr. Scott's struggle.  I've seen and read a few.  This is one.  If you've not seen it yet take a minute.

David S. Wallens
9/16/21 7:34 p.m.

In reply to SuperDave :

Thanks for sharing the interview--hadn't seen that before, f' racism, and Kyle is just so comfortable on camera. Didn't realize all of the Petty/Scott connections as well. 

"third-shift job"

65289Cobra
65289Cobra New Reader
2/20/22 2:18 a.m.

I was there when Wendell ran the 1965 Southern 500 at Darlington.  He finished a very credible 10th in a race marked by major attrition:  Ned Jarrett won by 14 laps over second-place Buck Baker.  More than 56 years later, that MOV is still a NASCAR record.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
2/20/22 7:27 a.m.

In reply to 65289Cobra :

Ditto.  Front stretch just past the flagstand.  Concrete with no cushion or chair back.  One of the few races in which Wendell Scott drove a car that was not his.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/22 10:02 a.m.

I like to think of Wendell's positive attitude and work ethic as positive examples.  Standing up for yourself and fighting against the evil of racism is ultimately admirable and very American.  

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/22 3:45 p.m.
Richard Richer said:

For a more complete story on Wendell Scott, read "Hard Driving : The Wendell Scott Story - The American Odyssey of Nascar's First Black Driver", written by Brian Donovan, himself a seasoned race car driver (SCCA) and twice awarded the Pulitzer prize for his newspaper reporting at Newsday in NY.  And coincidentally my son-in-law's dad.  Brian passed away a few years ago but his book stands the testament of time.

I listened to this book recently. (Half hour drive to work everyday makes audio books a perfectly opportunity) and wow, what a hell of a story.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/22 6:38 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

It really is a great story about persevering and not accepting no for an answer.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
klEdjhKYcM2L9VRD4GOktUhoog4HuxxBcbgOGsKlBxKC1acmpOu7qaKufC1aYGLa