1 2 3 ... 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/20 11:08 a.m.

The wheel seems so simple. It’s round. It rolls places.

Yet it still remains oh so complicated, especially when you bring cars into the mix: materials, sizes, offsets, designs, finishes, colors, load ratings and center bores. 

And we still haven’t mentioned bolt patterns. No, those wheels for an old Alfa Romeo won’t fit on your Miata. I know, it’s just …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 11:35 a.m.

Sad PS: I got distracted and never ordered those steelies. (I tend to write my columns late at night.)

I should get them. 

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 11:38 a.m.

But if anyone wants to talk wheels some more, LMK. laugh

The last two weeks, we have been cleaning up/cleaning out the garage. Some wheels went up into the attic while some came down so they can go back into service. Yes, the TE37s are legit. Old but real. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/20 12:12 p.m.

What are those to the left of the TE37s? They're all sorts of neogothic steampunk in the best sort of way. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/20 12:16 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

What are those to the left of the TE37s? They're all sorts of neogothic steampunk in the best sort of way. 

Mugen. You usually find them in 1G CRXs.

Probably worth a pretty penny too. 

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 12:16 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Mugen CF48, at one time the go-to wheel for torsion bar Honda Civics and CRXs. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 12:23 p.m.

The first gen CRX guys will only accept the CF48. It's like a religion. And yes, they're worth quite a bit to those guys.

And I have a set of Alfa wheels and the wobble bolts to make them fit a Miata ;)

12/3/20 12:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The first gen CRX guys will only accept the CF48. It's like a religion. And yes, they're worth quite a bit to those guys.

And I have a set of Alfa wheels and the wobble bolts to make them fit a Miata ;)

All you need now is to buy those Mugen wheels from David and sell the Ronals to a VW guy! :p

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 12:35 p.m.

Tell me more about the steelies you're still going to get for the e46 devil

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/3/20 12:41 p.m.

In this 1987 video of Autocrossing with Dick Turner you can see a Mugen Integra and a Mugen CRX starting at about the 30 second mark.  

Keith Tanner
12/3/20 12:50 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

All you need now is to buy those Mugen wheels from David and sell the Ronals to a VW guy! :p

That's why my Ronals stand out so much! VW people never think about the Mugens, and CRX guys would never think of a German Ronal. It's funny, there's just no room for cross-pollination. The fashions are set.

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 1:31 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Corsa steelies. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 2:03 p.m.

I was surprised not to see Apex wheels on the M3. :)

Keith Tanner
12/3/20 2:06 p.m.

You want steelies on your BMW? Here are steelies.

Owner of this also owns an FM-built CA legal LS3 Miata that's just peeking in front of the clownshoe.

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Are those Corsa Steelies? Maybe? I'm still thinking about it. 

Keith Tanner
12/3/20 3:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

They are not. They're OEM winter steelies that have been re-barreled by Stockton Wheel.

They were originally 17x7s, now 17x9 ET31F/ET0R

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 3:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
David S. Wallens said:

They are not. They're OEM winter steelies that have been re-barreled by Stockton Wheel.

Hmmm. Any idea what that costs? (Guess I could just look it up, right?) Cool look. 

Keith Tanner
12/3/20 3:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Keith Tanner said:
David S. Wallens said:

Hmmm. Any idea what that costs? (Guess I could just look it up, right?) Cool look. 

He bought them already modified IIRC. But Stockton Wheel would be the place to ask for sure.

Once you start considering re-barreling wheels, options get really interesting.

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 4:18 p.m.

I see they have a request form for custom work. Sounds reasonable. I just dig the look of steelies. Will they make the car faster? Nope. But they look cool. 

(Also, do we mention that Keith and I have been chatting all day via e-mail, too? laugh)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 4:20 p.m.

I agree about wheels sometimes being a "heart of head" issue sometimes.  My R53 has RPF1s's on it, but it's definitely not a design I'm in love with - but holy hell they're light.  But they came with the car (along with a set of OEM alloy wheels for winter use).  But if I ever decide to ignore how light they are and just go for looks, I'll order a set of 16" Panasports.  Which may happen if I decide to get a set of dedicated full-on STX wheels for the car, which would be 17x9  949 wheels and 245 tires - that would work for autocross but would be totally impractical on the street.

I kind of like the idea of re-barreling wheels for the Triumphs.  What would be awesome would be to make them 14" as well... Hmm... 

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 4:25 p.m.

Another side conversation that I have had with myself: not all "banana-spoke" wheels (Panasport, Watanabe, Rota RB, Black Racing, Minilite, etc.) are created equal. Some look better than others. Sometimes it's a matter of brand, size, offset, color, etc. When done right, though, it's perfection. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 4:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I was just going to mention wobble bolts.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/3/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

I e got to decide tonight what wheels to put on my MGUAR.  It's going to be built according to challenge rules. ( modified ). I'm taking all the junk I've accumulated over decades of racing and restoration and going to add up to $2000 to it to see what I arrive at. 
Back to wheels.  I've got sets of Jaguar wire wheels here. I'm sure 4 will clean up enough to look respectable.  They are 15x6 I've also got a chance to acquire a set of 16-7 or 8 Dayton wires if I do a tune up on a V12 ( we both agree that's worth $200 which is what he'll give me the wheels for). 
Finally I've got a set of Halibrand' s cast for the Chapparel mk1  

My concern is what tires can I get  for those three sizes that will be at least a little race worthy. 

12/3/20 4:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

(Also, do we mention that Keith and I have been chatting all day via e-mail, too? laugh)

I am glad he is getting the Mugen wheels and is going to right his wrong devil

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/20 5:09 p.m.

Rotiform Aerodisc

This came up while Googling the Mugen CF48. I don't own anything that should have wheels like this, and I don't have plans to, I even think it's probably too loud in reality, but I totally want this.

Rotiform Gloss White Thread-On Aerodisc | 32170-AC-W

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4B4OjEk61sGrmKv509teiTqDZbkkYdoCM70WpnbUFv0sDL1Je6lkj2eW2jLjEhuC