Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/1/20 12:09 p.m.

The idea for my first talk at the SCCA National Convention was right in my wheelhouse: how to sell sponsorships. I’ve been dealing with companies in the auto industry for decades. Easy. This would be a walk in the park.

The second talk added to the pile, one whose topic wasn’t suggested by me, caused me to gulp a bit: …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
10/1/20 1:35 p.m.

Tim take heart; many moons ago I managed to get a couple of short stories published and after getting the check I decided I wish to eat regular and moved on to something else (I'm told fiction, specifically Sci-Fi, stopping paying well around the mid 70s).

I happen to be a very good writer (not that you'd know it from some/most of my posts) and while I now use that skill doing contracts, I'm pretty sure I'd tank you're publications in about ten minutes.

You have to walk that type rope between satiating peoples appetite and always leave them wanting more. 

For the GRM & CM niche what you're doing works.

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
10/1/20 9:44 p.m.

Guys, great work with the articles. Seriously. But a big bonus honestly, subscribing means I get to see the ads for companies making the parts I didn't know exist but I knew I wanted. Heck yea targeted and niche ads are important. I dropped a couple other mags because all the ads went to nike shoes, yoga pants and things I didn't want. The articles became safer and it lost it's feel. Stay true. If it's a hobbyist mag: Show me serious high level hobby "stuff"!

I'll pay more.

Best analogy I can think of: Heavy metal bands. Everyone knows that one guy who is super hardcore "SLAYER RULES!" and would die for the band. You almost never meet the guy who says "yeah, I was into Slayer for a summer." The first guy will buy every shirt and album. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/1/20 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Bjorn 1349 :

Slayer rules. \m/

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/20 8:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Bjorn 1349 :

Slayer rules. \m/

I'm sad I didn't get to see them on their final tour. One of the bands I've always loved, but never got a chance to see live.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 8:17 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I got published a bit in various magazines but shortly after being published the magazines folded. Always worried it was me.  I did notice very little editing. Plus they were all new start ups. 

David S. Wallens
10/2/20 8:40 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Killer show as always. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/2/20 9:21 a.m.

Can we stay on topic just this once? laugh

Or does every thread eventually devolve into a headbangers' mosh pit?

I love to write.  Always have.  And while a select few others have read some of my stuff, I write solely for my own amusement.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/20 10:37 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I love to write.  Always have.  And while a select few others have read some of my stuff, I write solely for my own amusement.

I write for a living, but not the more enjoyable type like writing for a car magazine. It's weird because my family assumes that because I write, that means I know how to write creatively or something.

David S. Wallens
10/2/20 10:53 a.m.

Another writing tip: Just like most anything else, practice helps. And so does reading. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/2/20 10:58 a.m.
z31maniac said:
1988RedT2 said:

I write for a living, but not the more enjoyable type like writing for a car magazine. It's weird because my family assumes that because I write, that means I know how to write creatively or something.

Kudos to you for making that work. I know it's not an easy skill to turn into a paycheck.

I've always been drawn to fiction, both as a reader and as a writer.  There's something very rewarding about inventing characters and making them do crazy E36 M3. laugh

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/20 9:27 a.m.

I'll repeat what I have been saying for some time. I think it's important to repeat this again: I always read the editorial content first. You understand us.

You have an advantage in that this is a family owned small business. You're never far removed from your audience, and it shows in the writing. In addition, I think that the editing is exemplary (and I've read a lot of periodical publications, from Smithsonian to medical journals).

Neither GRM or CM are "just another car magazine." Continuing to thrive is all the proof needed of that.

More of my personal perspective: Between reading the magazines, and participating in the forum, I've found a welcoming community.

I'm looking forward to volunteering at the 2020 Challenge so that I can contribute to the community. 

David S. Wallens
10/5/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the kind words--we have a great team--and glad to hear that you're enjoying the columns. See you in Gainesville. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/29/21 8:29 a.m.

I think if you're currently still in print and making money, you will be here to stay. It's going to be more 'niche' than before though.

As for writing in general, I once had delusions of becoming an automotive writer. Until I spoke with one that was reasonably successful and he painted a very fair picture of the life. Though I dabbled in it (and sold a few things) I found he was right; that it would take years of slaving for peanuts to maybe make a name for yourself. Meanwhile, life would happen. So for someone like Tim to be so successful over such a long period--and a period now experiencing great change--says a lot.

I tried my hand at fiction writing and self-published (thank you, Amazon) a few novels. I am very proud of them, and pleased with the highly positive reviews. But, the market is FLOODED with stuff and few people find my work. I've sold barely enough copies to pay for the cover art on the first one. I now do my own covers!

After reading a non-fiction book about restoring a car that was pretty awful, I decided to write one about my fixing up a motorcycle. It has done very well, and I am still amazed I get monthly deposits from sales years later. I don't think it's my best work, but it too has received decent reviews. So, I know where my bread is buttered and in the future probably won't bother with fiction. Though I love writing the stuff it is a LOT of work making a book. You really have to love writing fiction for the craft, not for the perceived potential of success.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5WrwfCvX96QpqUPXxOm8Cxw5BnktErdOACbDrUfbdpXvt0lTx6BtCt1u4zhuKZTO