1 2 3
Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/17/14 12:35 p.m.

Us driving enthusiasts know that comfortable seats are more important for driving comfort than the average driver. I am interested in knowing which factory seats are comfortable to you guys, even if most people find them average. I'm not necessarily talking about the Recaros in the new Focus and Fiesta STs either.

For me, the passenger seat I bought out of a 4th gen Camaro is surprisingly bolstered and comfortable, especially for a GM (muscle car) product. It was understandably way less worn than the driver seat.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/17/14 12:37 p.m.

All Volvos.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/17/14 12:37 p.m.

All BMW sport seats.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/17/14 12:39 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: All Volvos.

This! + 1

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/17/14 1:07 p.m.

My protege5 seats are incredibly comfy.

I used Lincoln mk8 seats in the duster and they are easily the most comfy seats ive ever owned.

The stock worn out bench in my 64 elky is shockingly comfortable.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/17/14 1:08 p.m.

Yeah, Volvo 850/v70 seats are great, and are power adjustable with memory settings that only needs a +12v to function. (All controls built into the seat.) They tend to be heated too which is just another +12v line.

Down side is they're heavy. You can get manual seats that are lighter.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
6/17/14 1:14 p.m.

A vote here for Saab seats at least the Aero seats from the last 9-3. Also JDM Subaru STi seats are very good provided you are JDM sized.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/17/14 1:19 p.m.

LS400.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/17/14 1:23 p.m.

The seats in the MazdaSpeed 3 are awesome. So are most seats in the VW GTI.

The seats in the FC Turbo and FD are also quite good but the newer seats like in the MS3 are better.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/17/14 1:42 p.m.

88-92 MX6 GT seats.

90-93 Celica GTS/AllTrac seats.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/17/14 1:52 p.m.

Mid 80's Toyota truck bench seats. Remarkably comfortable. Coming close behind them, tractor seats. I can spend days at a time in either.

Most over rated seats imo, Volvo. Especially the 850 and 70 series. Seem designed by the same people who design seats for airplanes. I would not want to take one on a cross country jaunt.

None of which has to do with holding me in place while I'm flinging the car around the cones. Then I want bolstering to hold me in place, which may not be comfortable. Especially if we're talking about all day driving comfortable.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/14 2:00 p.m.

WRX or STI seats. I'm still amazed that they fit in the Forester/Legacy/Impreza's.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/17/14 2:13 p.m.

Mazda MX-3 seats, 92-95 Civic seats, mid 80's Toyota Celica seats (I had a pair of these in a Toyota pickup).

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/14 2:19 p.m.

The seats in the Miata ('90) were great if you remember to take into account the low-ness of them. It's like it was made for my butt.

...of course, everyone's butt is different, so opinions will vary...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/17/14 2:27 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

the rx7 seats are great for people who are Japanese sized. I am 6'4" I can assure you (to me) that they are not quite good.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/17/14 2:35 p.m.

I like Acura TL leather seats, BMW, Mercedes, WRX Momo seat is nice.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/14 3:04 p.m.

The sport seats in my 9-5 Aero are very nice.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/17/14 3:06 p.m.

So far, the most comfortable seat I have driven in is one from a late 10th generation Ford Thunderbird. It almost seems like the engineers designed those seats just for me. Sitting in them feels like a thin slice of heaven.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
6/17/14 3:08 p.m.

'10+ Mustang. Most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in. Also note that I'm oddly-proportioned, so there's that.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/17/14 3:09 p.m.

The 83-85 Toyota Supras had great seats (with pump-up lumbar bladders) unfortunately they didn't hold up very well over time.

The 1987 / 88 VW Jetta GLI had some of the best seats ever. Power operated Recaros in black leather and grey "mouse fur"

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/17/14 3:10 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Mid 80's Toyota truck bench seats. Remarkably comfortable. Coming close behind them, tractor seats. I can spend days at a time in either. Most over rated seats imo, Volvo. Especially the 850 and 70 series. Seem designed by the same people who design seats for airplanes. I would not want to take one on a cross country jaunt.

Agree on the former, disagree on the latter.

My '86 Toyota p/u bench was surprisingly not bad. Granted, I sold the truck 15 years ago, so my memory may be fuzzy...

The ex-g/f's '96 850 wagon seats were stunningly comfortable. An hour-plus ride was nothing. Conversely, the seats in her 1800ES were murder on my back whenever I drove that car.

BMW sport seats are a mixed bag. For as supportive as they are, they're pretty good, but even for someone of relatively slight stature, they don't leave much room for mid-trip repositioning during a long driving stint.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/17/14 3:40 p.m.

Some BMW sport seats are good, some jab me in my wide, child-bearing hips. For this reason the Recaros in the Focus and Fiesta are absolutely out.

pappatho
pappatho New Reader
6/17/14 3:58 p.m.

I think the seats in my V70R are average with nicer/softer material that I am use to (Atacama). My wife thinks they are the greatest seats in the world.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/17/14 3:59 p.m.

Anything Swedish has an amazingly comfortable seat.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/14 4:10 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: The 83-85 Toyota Supras had great seats (with pump-up lumbar bladders) unfortunately they didn't hold up very well over time. The 1987 / 88 VW Jetta GLI had some of the best seats ever. Power operated Recaros in black leather and grey "mouse fur"

Recaro's! I had a set in my Cabby. Just look at those awesomely old seats.

photo Recaroint.jpg

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ILZI9hiB2IRXlCamih4N7v1dtYwt8AvWZi5QSKpTXx9PpWRdhLOnCErT9zaVRiSL