1 2 3 ... 28
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/31/17 12:58 p.m.
feature_image

We have spent the past three months working on a new layout for our message board, and we're just about ready to launch it. The plan is to release it on Tuesday, September 5.

What changes have we made? First, there's an easier-to-use editor for your comments.
Yes, URLs will automatically link when pasted into a comment.
Yes, lists are …

Read the rest of the story

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/31/17 1:11 p.m.

In the wake of the Photobucket disaster, we’ll soon allow users to upload images straight to the forum.

AMAZING.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/17 1:12 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: In the wake of the Photobucket disaster, we’ll soon allow users to upload images straight to the forum. AMAZING.

Yes. And note that you'll still be able to embed photos that are hosted elsewhere. Freedom of choice.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/31/17 1:13 p.m.

DEAR GOD NO!! NOT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, cool. I'm always up for a refresh.

David S. Wallens
8/31/17 1:15 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: DEAR GOD NO!! NOT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, cool. I'm always up for a refresh.

We fear change, too. We went through several redesigns on this. Plus the message board will now graphically match the rest of the site--same fonts, same design language, etc. And, yes, I just used the term "design language."

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
8/31/17 1:16 p.m.

cries tears of joy

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/31/17 1:18 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/17 1:20 p.m.

While you're at it, have the board software read every post and take photobucket links and download them, host them, and redo the links to legacy threads.

OK?

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/31/17 1:22 p.m.

Sounds like some great upgrades. How long will it take this old dog to figure out how it works?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 1:22 p.m.

I for one welcome our new message board overlords....

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/31/17 1:23 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: In the wake of the Photobucket disaster, we’ll soon allow users to upload images straight to the forum. AMAZING.

This alone is worth the update.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/31/17 1:24 p.m.

In reply to trucke:

Shouldn't be bad. The layout is certainly different (in a good way) with more white space, but all the same buttons and functionality will be there. The new editor has more options, but it's very easy to figure out.

Think of it as a fresh coat of paint.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/17 1:30 p.m.

Huzzah!!

Now, tell me that I'll be able to jump to the first unread post in a thread, and I'll be over the moon.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/31/17 1:30 p.m.

Will the content of the current forum be carried over, or will it be another "reset" with the old forum archiving only?

David S. Wallens
8/31/17 1:36 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Will the content of the current forum be carried over, or will it be another "reset" with the old forum archiving only?

Good question. All of the current content will carry over. The message board will still pull from the same database. We're simply redoing the skin while adding some more functionality.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/17 1:37 p.m.

Any search function improvements?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/31/17 1:38 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: Will the content of the current forum be carried over, or will it be another "reset" with the old forum archiving only?
Good question. All of the current content will carry over. The message board will still pull from the same database. We're simply redoing the skin while adding some more functionality.

David S. Wallens
8/31/17 1:39 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: Any search function improvements?

That we're working on. It won't be part of this update, but it's in the works. Basically, we had to break this up into chunks.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/31/17 1:41 p.m.

Change is good!!!

One quick note to everyone, although we can insert images directly to the site (yeah!!!), let's make sure the ubiquitous hotlink thread stays as a hotlink thread. I think it would easily overload the GRM servers if they were trying to host it.....

-Rob

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/17 1:41 p.m.

Fantastic. I don't even know what else to say.

Will we need a "Can we please stop uploading images directly to GRM?" thread?

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
8/31/17 1:43 p.m.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 1:43 p.m.

The best is just getting better!!!!

Thanks!!!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/31/17 1:45 p.m.

Can't wait!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/31/17 1:47 p.m.

So soon will be normal like everybody else??

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/31/17 1:48 p.m.
Tony Sestito wrote: Can't wait!

Could someone please kill that^^^^^^^

1 2 3 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BJ77fWVFRBAW2WdP4tcxq37sFmYCuWlx83qs5oAdoB2iLaal3jB8Ceabvof2WKJq