Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/11/17 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Thank you!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/17 1:37 p.m.

Android 7 lg g5 chrome

Page loads are good, except when it hangs while refreshing or posting. It's done this since before the update though for me so I assumed it was a fight with my adblocker. 

I've had a few freezes trying to quote, but they're random. 

https://preview.ibb.co/mT2X0b/Capture_2017_10_11_13_54_07.png

Coincidentally I took this screen shot while it was hanging during posting to make a request. Could you add a "select all"or just a select option to this menu? Not being able to highlight text to copy, cut, move is extremely frustrating when editing posts, quoting pictures, or trying to save a post you wrote but the site hung up and you need to reload the page to post. 

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/11/17 1:39 p.m.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Firefox or default, same symptom

Kindle Fire HD w/ Cynaogenmod  14.1 and Firefox

Workstation computer with enough zoot to absolutely not be the problem running DEbian 8 with Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Macbook Pro, Safari or Firefox

I think you can eliminate the platform from your criteria and focus on client-side JS code calling out to the network with a slow response or doing too much work in a single thread, or waiting for something else to load before it can continue, or not caching something it should have. I'm too lazy to trace what it is actually doing right now but when it appears everywhere but the developer's desktop sitting right next to the server .... it's the code, not the hardware. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/11/17 3:37 p.m.

Zero Issues on mobile:

Running:

- iPhone 6S

- iOs 11.0.3

Home:

- PC AMD Six core (can't remember all the specs)

- Running Internet Explorer

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 10:16 a.m.

Alright! so our developers made some changes to the javascript on the forum and how things are loaded. Let me know if this improves speed for those of you who were noticing that issue. Thanks!

Edit: I wasn't even having the 10-second delay issue but page loads seem way snappier. Nice.

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 10:26 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'm still having issues with seeing some pics but not others.  This is from the Unicorn thread where other people can see Erich's pictures.

I talked to our developers about this and here's what they said: "

it sounds like this user is experiencing a block of some sort for images from photoberkit.

See if they can go to a direct link, like this one http://photoberkit.com/copper/albums/userpics/10057/IMG_9474.JPG, and view the image from there. All the editor is doing is displaying the image at that URL."

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/12/17 10:55 a.m.

Any chance of adding a 'Find all threads started by...' option to peoples profiles?  If you go to someones profile you can see threads they've posted in, but not just ones they have started.  That's one of the nice things about other forums software.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/12/17 10:58 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

Alright! so our developers made some changes to the javascript on the forum and how things are loaded. Let me know if this improves speed for those of you who were noticing that issue. Thanks!

Edit: I wasn't even having the 10-second delay issue but page loads seem way snappier. Nice.

When I quoted you just now it was much improved.

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry :

Good to hear!

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I'll put that on the suggestion list. Thanks.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/17 11:30 a.m.

My only minor quibble at this point is that the edit box is still Times New Roman, but everything else is the better typeface.  But that's just excessive anality on my part.

AND AHA!  That was apparently fixed this morning.  Awesomeness abounds.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/17 11:32 a.m.
Duke said:

My only minor quibble at this point is that the edit box is still Times New Roman, but everything else is the better typeface.  But that's just excessive anality on my part.

AND AHA!  That was apparently fixed this morning.  Awesomeness abounds.

Ahhhh, so close to complete awesomeness.  If you Quote or Reply To somebody, it's still TNR until you post it.  Again, not a big deal.

RevRico
10/12/17 11:35 a.m.

Ok, I have to ask, wouldn't it be world's easier to have a mobile specific format that phones and tablets load automatically and a different desktop site(not different but stock on computers and mobile optimized for mobile), like every other website and forum out there?

I'm finding more and more things optimized for desktop use that make doing things from mobile difficult if not impossible. 

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 11:51 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We do change the layout according to how big the window is. It is mostly similar. Other than the select all camand, anything else that is really hard to navigate on a phone?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/17 12:30 p.m.

so, i think i've seen this a couple times... but a good example just cropped up here (and I don't recall if it's been brought up before):
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/can-we-just-talk-about-the-fact-a-4cylinder-camaro/133569/page3/

that when an embedded youtube video is pulled into a quote box, it ends up posting as a big hole of nothing.  personally, I fine with it being removed, although maybe the space should be eliminated and some kind of "this line formerly was an embedded youtube video" would be... nice?

edit to add screen capture:

Ed Higginbotham
10/12/17 12:35 p.m.

Good catch, sleepyhead. Making a note now.

RevRico
10/12/17 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

It's mostly the text editing that I'm finding issues in. I've only noticed the change over the past couple of days though. For solid examples of where I noticed, the last page of the video thread is one, and the "have you met Thor" thread I started today had the others. 

Not being able to highlight, getting a "browser security settings won't let you paste with a long press please use this text box or hit control v" or "this paste method has been disabled please use control v" in a device without a control key , trying to paste in the block quote field with text from a website, embedding videos from vimeo even though they use the same iframe code as YouTube(I didn't try to embed under "the old way"option it gives us now that might do it), not being able to  doubleclick and change words (this might be tied to recent changes made for iOS that clash with android? It still works on my apps and other websites as double click selection)

On the positive side, I noticed an upload tab under the picture options? Haven't tried that yet but looks promising. And just recently noticed a "download" option on people's profiles that will download their email address to our contacts, I'm guessing for private messaging? Will make contacting the yahoo people a little easier. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/17 3:53 p.m.

I saw the upload tab too... it just goes to a 404 if you click "send to server". laugh

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/17 8:10 a.m.

I've noticed something when replying to other people. Sometimes the post defaults to bold face, sometimes not. 

Im not sure what I am doing differently. I always respond the same way- just click the reply button and start typing. 

But ive also noticed a lot of other people's posts having the same problem, so I'm not alone. 

iPhone 7 10.3.3

Ed Higginbotham
10/13/17 8:35 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

I saw the upload tab too... it just goes to a 404 if you click "send to server". laugh

Y'all got a super secret preview of what it'll look like when you can upload photos straight to the forum. That one's still in the works and was accidentally published with the editor update yesterday. Sorry to get your hopes up!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/17 1:00 p.m.

so, something I just noticed... and this may end up being more of "feature, not a bug"...

It looks like the thread records "editing of a post" as "last comment made" when ordering things, and not "last new comment added to the thread".

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/17 1:02 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

It's mostly the text editing that I'm finding issues in. I've only noticed the change over the past couple of days though. For solid examples of where I noticed, the last page of the video thread is one, and the "have you met Thor" thread I started today had the others. 

Not being able to highlight, getting a "browser security settings won't let you paste with a long press please use this text box or hit control v" or "this paste method has been disabled please use control v" in a device without a control key , trying to paste in the block quote field with text from a website, embedding videos from vimeo even though they use the same iframe code as YouTube(I didn't try to embed under "the old way"option it gives us now that might do it), not being able to  doubleclick and change words (this might be tied to recent changes made for iOS that clash with android? It still works on my apps and other websites as double click selection)

On the positive side, I noticed an upload tab under the picture options? Haven't tried that yet but looks promising. And just recently noticed a "download" option on people's profiles that will download their email address to our contacts, I'm guessing for private messaging? Will make contacting the yahoo people a little easier. 

I just hit this issue. Really annoying not being able to paste on my tablet. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/13/17 1:18 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

Confirming the quoting delay has been resolved for me. yes

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/17 1:46 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:
Ed Higginbotham said:

Seems faster for me now too.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/17 1:57 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
EastCoastMojo said:
Ed Higginbotham said:

Seems faster for me now too.

Not faster it's like instant. Cool fix. 

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
859tAnwWeDSyBGXcnCKIKMvgTjJ1TLUPWEXJ8Qb2IWJSV4dH9YSRMiXhAJhcDg84