1 2
jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/11/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Which misses the whole point of the car.

One of the major mags annually gathers together between 15 and 20 sports cars and rents a track.  They're not graded on lap times, but FUN.  Twice, despite being the slowest, they won.  Go to any forum and ask for a good car to track and "Miata" is the most common answer.  Excellent handling, very forgiving, cheap consumables, TONS of aftermarket support and dead reliable.  If you're interested, read "Miatagasm".

350z247
350z247 Reader
1/11/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to jerel77494 :

Miatas don't do it for me from stock to an LS1 swap; they just aren't my thing. I'm glad other people like them, but I still think they're overhyped. I'd rather pay extra for a car that actually sparks some joy for me than prioritize cheap consumables.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/11/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

I get where you are at. If my Datsun ever goes (37 years & counting) I'd replace it with a Miata. With that said I would always keep some kind of Formula car because, as much as I love low cost little cars you can abuse, I also have a thing for single seaters. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 1:53 p.m.

I can't imagine anything with a truck motor being fun.  Fast, sure, but it sounds like you're in an F150 headed to Tractor Supply for feed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 1:56 p.m.
jerel77494 said:

In reply to 350z247 :

Which misses the whole point of the car.

One of the major mags annually gathers together between 15 and 20 sports cars and rents a track.  They're not graded on lap times, but FUN.  Twice, despite being the slowest, they won.  Go to any forum and ask for a good car to track and "Miata" is the most common answer.  Excellent handling, very forgiving, cheap consumables, TONS of aftermarket support and dead reliable.  If you're interested, read "Miatagasm".

Here's the link to the article: Miatagasm, aka Sam Smith Drives All The Miatas

350z247 we get it, you don't like them and you don't understand them. That's okay.

350z247
350z247 Reader
1/11/22 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I understand why you like them, but that doesn't work for me. All cars are compromises, and the Miata makes compromises I don't care for.

dquarasr
dquarasr
1/11/22 6:22 p.m.

When I autocrossed in the mid-90s, I used to question why the Harvey brothers (Elliot and Bill - I think?  sorry if I'm remembering the latter's name wrong!!!!!) campaigned a 25-year-old race car, successfully, I might add, a 1969 Datsun roadster (I think that was the year).

Then in the early-2010s, I procured a 1990 former Spec Miata.  My son prepped it with a 2001 VVT engine, tuned it to perfection, and we did track days with it through that decade.  What a hoot!  I finally understood.  When the bones are good, the fun lasts - a LONG time!

The Miata has to be THE quintessential perfect road course car: reliable, capable, balls-out fun to drive.  I'm sure early 911 owners might argue (OK, I'll give them their duly earned respect), but it's hard to argue the appeal of ANY Miata.  It's always the answer.

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/12/22 12:20 a.m.
350z247 said:

I want to open the door to the garage and feel like I did as a kid on Christmas morning; a Miata will never do that for me.

I've been driving a 1991 Miata since 1998.  In addition to the Miatas, I currently have 7 non-Miata cars and 2 motorcycles.  I love cars.   But every time I open the garage door and see the Miata in there, it feels an awful lot like a kid on Christmas morning, except I don't think I ever received a Christmas present that makes me as happy as my Miata.  It's still my favorite to drive, and I still haven't gotten tired of staring at it.

Cxracer
Cxracer New Reader
1/12/22 12:19 p.m.

The first Miata I was introduced to was my wife's 94 when we had to find a replacement for her Fiat Spider 2000 that decided to jettison it's driveshaft on the freeway at 55mph and then retuning through the passenger floor after cutting the fuel and brake lines (luckily no injury to my wife)

The Miata fit the bill as a convertible and given it's Japanese origin, presumably more reliable. My wife's first impressions was that it wasn't as powerful, wasn't as unique, and didn't have a wooden steering wheel. However, after a short amount of time learning that making power meant just leaving it in gear longer between shifts she fell in love with it and I think I can count on one hand the amount of times she let me drive it. She wasn't willing to give it up until she was pregnant with our first child and couldn't get out of the car. It ended up getting sold to a friend and I would see it regularly.

At the time I was into larger cars that would fit a bike rack for my cycling hobby so a 2 seat convertible was not a practical daily driver for me and we didn't have the means to afford project cars.

Fast forward about 5 or more years and I got the itch to take a car to the track. As I started to look for options I reached out to a friend and was surprised that he wholeheartedly recommended a Miata and even proceeded to find me a good starting point. From then on I've had at least one Miata (now 4 and an Exocet) in the garage as a project fun car and I've never driven anything else on the track. Naturally aspirated, turbo'ed, etc. and they have all been a hoot.

I'm also happy to say that my wife's 95 is back in our stable and even though it needs some serious TLC, a quick errand run in it always puts a smile on my face.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/25/22 10:58 a.m.

In Motor Trend's defense (Lincoln Town Car?? Really???), they only consider cars they've tested that year.  If they didn't test it, they don't include it.  I don't remember what they tested that year.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/13/22 11:41 p.m.

I hope your car info is more accurate than your political info. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer my racecars without politics.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/22 1:32 p.m.

Wait. I just read this whole thread. You mean to tell me there is a car that you can race all weekend and not turn a wrench on?laugh

Miata's are great cars. I got turned off by the drivers of these cars in there spec series. But that is not the cars fault.   Any generation will give you way more fun per dollar than just about any car out there.  

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
8/7/22 3:00 p.m.

Not everyone can allocate large sums of cash to a hobby. The Miata allows ppl with limited funds to enjoy spirited driving / motor sports and for that, it should be applauded. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
skUCcm1VMhjw3JDptpAd3T0XmEzrP43GUehC2ly4xeMYMLNvIMaoUwcMn4OFoWlF