Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 6:08 p.m.

Here it is, the complete start-to-finsh run on Tail of the Dragon in the 944 S2 we bought from Danny Shields on this forum and then drove from FLorida to Washington state:

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/22 8:54 a.m.

I'm in Chattanooga for two weeks and have class during the week but am looking for things to do this weekend. I have a crumby Nissan Versa as a rental car, but is it still worth the trip to run this famous road?  Should I try and find a decent rental? 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/15/22 9:08 a.m.

It's fun in anything, because you really can't go fast. It's an autocross in the woods that doesn't stop.

Abide the local rules, however. Use the pull-offs to let faster people by. Never, ever cross the center line. There is a heavy police presence and the weekends can be a real crapshow with all the people that come to get their photos taken. 

That area is full of great roads. The Dragon is just the popular one.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 9:24 a.m.

There are so many good roads with so much less traffic, I usually avoid it unless I happen to be coming around that side of the GSMNP. I think the last time I drove it I was headed from Nashville, TN to Pickens, SC driving an F350 towing a boat. 

It does run through a beautiful area. Some of the coldest and clearest water you will find. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Absolutely! Like the others said, it's just an 11 mile autocross in the woods. A Versa might be nimble enough to be fun even!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/22 11:11 a.m.

Go up to Tellico Plains and run the Cherohala Skyway then pick up the Tail in NC. Fantastic loop.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/22 11:12 a.m.

On the weekend, It'll be stuffed full so anything will be fine. I had a lot more fun on both trips there on some of the side roads like 74. Last time I was there 2 bikes wrecked which I was amazed on because it felt like I was only going like 20-30 most of the time. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
3/15/22 12:11 p.m.

I want to go one day! I'm only 3000kms away!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/22 1:03 p.m.

Anyone near the area have a Miata or something they want to rent me for a day?  I checked Turo and didn't find anything very cool. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vf3Y99aoNVlXefTy54AmKS0ta4PVa09vdA7klvkQyxGJEwZzY5OE1zjCBUr5WGEC