mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
5/13/14 11:20 a.m.

I've had my MGB for ten years now, and before that I had one for 5 years, and before that I had one for 2 years. I've always had one. I've done a lot to this one and really like it, but I drive it maybe 10 times a year, and that's being generous. I clean it once a year, change the oil every six months, dot-dot-dot.

After years of MG and general vintage european enthusiasm, I'm starting to crave something different. I'm contemplating selling the MG and moving on to somehting like a Charger SRT8. 4 doors, huge displacement, modify-able, and I think actually kind of cool looking. I hate the dash but I could live with it. The newer ones are nicer but much higher in price, although I could wait a year or so. Anyone have any experience with the Mopar SRT's, other than suggesting the 5.0 Coyote is a better car?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/13/14 11:30 a.m.

It's a faster and cheaper MB?

Don't like the charger dash? The 300 dash is different, but the same.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/13/14 12:00 p.m.

I feel your pain. I have had the 1967 MGB GT since 1978. Can't say as it hit 1000 miles in the last two years and not because its not road worthy.

I keep thinking that if I sold it I could get a start on paying for a nice 240Z or something that would be more DDable. I think FI might be a pre-requisite. With only a 5 mile drive to work, the GT has only just stopped spitting back through the DCOE by the time I arrive.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/14 12:05 p.m.

i came to chime in that i really hope some fiats/alphas get the SRT treatment. Also not the size, space or power of the SRTs but you may want to check out the BRZ/86 twins prior to making the purchase decision. Sadly it's the only currently non european rwd coupe that isn't a sled.

other random consideration, used CTS-V?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/13/14 12:32 p.m.

I cannot agree with your choice of replacement but, hey, whatever floats yer boat. I just went and looked at your garage and you will have zero problems unloading that MGB GT. It is awesome.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
5/13/14 1:53 p.m.

Dodge Magnum SRT-8's are freaking awesome IMO. Used market they aren't even that expensive for a low miles one (relatively speaking).

http://jalopnik.com/5872783/your-ridiculously-cool-dodge-magnum-srt8-wallpaper-is-here

Save the MGB for those sunny days when you just want to cruise or flow through a nice piece of asphalt.

Choppa87
Choppa87 New Reader
5/13/14 1:53 p.m.

Used CTS-V if you wand a 4 door or a 5.0 if you are okay with a coupe. The only advantage I see an SRT charger having over those 2 is more space.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
5/13/14 2:45 p.m.

Are the 300 SRT8s much more expensive? They're quite classy looking, preferable to the Charger in my eyes.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/13/14 2:59 p.m.

Stay British! Buy a Jensen Interceptor with a 440 and build it up!

Here's the intake on my older Jensen - they also fit under the bonnet of the Interceptor.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
5/13/14 4:39 p.m.

I am not sure I would want to be associated with the type of people who drive chargers and magnums.in my area, a cts-v would have less of that problem though.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/13/14 5:32 p.m.

Wife had a 2006 model and just told me the other day that she'll have another some day. The big downsides are stupid expensive tires (20" Goodyear Eagle F1's if you stay stock) and low MPG. Other than that, it rode well, had ridiculous power and actually handled really well. It was a great cruiser and fun to romp on it. Just know that you'll be in the triple digits before you realize it. NOT a car you can drive 9/10's or 10/10's like you could your MGB.

I highly recommend one if you're ready for the costs.

-Rob

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/13/14 6:17 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote: Dodge Magnum SRT-8's are freaking awesome IMO. Used market they aren't even that expensive for a low miles one (relatively speaking). http://jalopnik.com/5872783/your-ridiculously-cool-dodge-magnum-srt8-wallpaper-is-here Save the MGB for those sunny days when you just want to cruise or flow through a nice piece of asphalt.

This.^^^^ How could you ever sell an MGB GT that's that nice? Buy the Charger, keep the MG. Done. You can thank me later.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/13/14 7:00 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I am not sure I would want to be associated with the type of people who drive chargers and magnums.in my area, a cts-v would have less of that problem though.

I never let stereotypes get in the way of me driving something cool. If I did I would have missed out on many great cars and bikes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9YVs7euSoA1l6qmA4wi1Hs7gMyI4J7xep78zSXqHRYv4Us5tLKxgufu0HPO3BexX