1 2 3 ... 5
True_Racer
True_Racer New Reader
12/10/14 12:57 a.m.

Controversy video

What do you think, was that cone out of position?

What would you have done?

Also do you think I should be able to use my video to try and overturn the call for the cone or would that open the flood gates for every go pro guy to try and overturn any downed cone?

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/10/14 1:29 a.m.

move on

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 1:40 a.m.

It was an autocross run. Get over it.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/10/14 5:31 a.m.

In reply to True_Racer: If you think a cone is out of position you have to stop and point it out to the course workers to get a rerun; otherwise you have accepted it. Complaining after the run is too late.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/10/14 6:24 a.m.

What would I do? Bench race afterwards with the rest of my friends. Buy my son/codriver a slurpee on the way home. High five the event coordinator for finding a killer venue.

"Stuff" happens. This season, the timing equipment failed on what was probably one of the best autocross runs I've ever had. I suppose I could have gotten bent out of shape about it, but in the end, high fiving my son while we pulled back up to the start line for our "freebie" run was a whole lot more enjoyable.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/14 6:27 a.m.

I just wish my local region had a site like that!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/10/14 6:49 a.m.
Woody wrote: It was an autocross run. Get over it.

yeah … you're racing for cheesy plastic trophies … move on

and for future reference …. pay heed to what Danny Shields said… if a cone is down/out of position, you're required to stop and point it out to the course workers …otherwise it's your cone … sometimes it won't be spotted and you can get away with not pointing it out …. sucks that it was your fastest run, but stuff happens

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
12/10/14 6:56 a.m.

Usually, you have to stop on course and point it out.

If I were you, I'd be gentler with my inputs and try shuffle-steering. Should make up for the lost time that way.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/10/14 6:58 a.m.
Danny Shields wrote: In reply to True_Racer: If you think a cone is out of position you have to stop and point it out to the course workers to get a rerun; otherwise you have accepted it. Complaining after the run is too late.

That is the rule we used, too. (non SCCA, FWIW). Even mentioned it during the drivers meeting- just to be clear. Finish the run means that you accept the course as it was laid out. Stop, point the errant cone out, slowly drive back and get a re-run.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/10/14 7:00 a.m.

when I first started a-x'ing, I learned to shuffle steer …. now I watch videos from the nationals and most of the fast drivers don't shuffle …they cross over … only moving their hands when the turn is so tight that it takes more steering input than crossing over can handle …

I'm so confused

trucke
trucke HalfDork
12/10/14 7:16 a.m.

Wow!

So worked up he made a video. Too much stress for me. I autocross for relaxation and fellowship.

Danny Shields pointed out the long established rule, if a cone is down, STOP, and point it out to a corner worker. SCCA is not going to implement GOPRO replays. Since this was a PCA event, you need to petition PCA. Good luck with that.

On another topic: I have much event site envy.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 7:32 a.m.

Unfortunately the potential for jackassery is far too great, it's not worth opening Pandora's complaint box over it.

rotard
rotard Dork
12/10/14 7:37 a.m.

Start doing track days so you don't have to worry about cones?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/10/14 7:38 a.m.

One other thing about the cone rule. At least hour our oranization called it. If the cone touched any part of the square drawn around it, AND was standing, it was considered not a penalty. And my point being that the square drawn for it matters- which really can't be seen in the video.

We always like to mention the story about the guy who ran over a cone with both wheels, caught it on the rear of the car, saw it do a back flip in the air, and have it come down standing, but touching the square as an example of not a penalty. Chuckles from the drivers.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 7:44 a.m.

Serious business in here.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/10/14 7:50 a.m.

So I watched the whole thing. Barely could see which cone you were talking about. In other words, that's not irrefutable evidence that there was something wrong. Which is the measure in other sports.

Stop next time you see that.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/10/14 7:56 a.m.

From the video, cone looked out of place. Should have stopped, pointed it out, and got a re-run. You should stop anytime you see something weird on course. By not stopping, you accepted the course as is and therefore the penalty. Charging up to T&S after the fact is pointless, video or not. Those of us who do T&S don't have time to review a video replay, or deal with amped up drivers, in fact one of our main rules is to not bother the folks in the trailer. Why didn't you park your car, then attempt the dialogue?

That site is amazing, you have no idea how lucky you are to have it.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
12/10/14 7:56 a.m.
Danny Shields wrote: In reply to True_Racer: If you think a cone is out of position you have to stop and point it out to the course workers to get a rerun; otherwise you have accepted it. Complaining after the run is too late.

What he said. Don't incite jackassery with your own jackassery.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/10/14 8:15 a.m.

At a divisional this past year, I lost the lead on last runs by .008. My best run, timer failed. First rerun redflagged. Second rerun, timer issue and 3rd rerun fuel starved in the middle of the run killing it.Was I mad? Nope. It was a helluva ride and the guy that beat me is a helluva nice guy as well and a hoot to be around.

It's auto-x. We ain't' gettin' rich doing this E36 M3.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/10/14 9:08 a.m.

"Controversy" isn't exactly a word I would use to describe this, aside from the sensationalism used to attract additional hits/followers/revenue on a Youtube channel. This is something that has been specifically discussed in every drivers meeting, at every event, with every club that I have Autox'ed with. The SCCA Rule book is quite clear on the issue, and to the best of my knowledge most other clubs follow similar guidelines:

SCCA Rule Book said: A competitor encountering a downed or displaced pylon on course has the option of continuing the run or stopping as soon as possible, and pointing out the downed or displaced pylon to a course worker. If the competitor stops, he/she must proceed per Section 7.4 and will then be granted a rerun. However, if the competitor completes the run, the time will stand. In the case in which a competitor is red flagged or stops for a downed or displaced cone on the course, the competitor may continue slowly through the remainder of the course, or may exit the course directly, and will be granted a rerun if appropriate. Failure to exit the remainder of the course at an appropriate speed (generally 25-30 mph) will result in a DNF for that run. It is important to clear the course in a timely manner to ensure the event remains on schedule.

In other words...

If you're looking far enough ahead to see the errant cone before it's too late: Avoid it and come to a stop, point it out (with acknowledgement from the corner workers), then proceed at a significantly reduced (but not too slow) pace safely off the course.

If you're not: Tough cookies and better luck next time. It has officially become nothing more than a 'racers excuse' when having age appropriate beverages with your autox buddies after the event.

Without time consuming further investigation at that time to verify things, like all of the other surrounding cones likewise being in the correct location, etc., the video alone indicates but does not in of itself prove that the cone was out of place. Nor can it prove that the driven line would not have hit the cone if otherwise located, such as to reinstate the unpenalized time. And even if it could, there are no additional reviews after the fact in Autox just for those drivers who run video equipment...Nor should there be.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/10/14 9:30 a.m.

Why I don't autocross...to many people who take it way too seriously and I just don't get why? There are rules, and some people are passionate about the details and interpretations of those rules. I've tried to care, but to me it's just an opportunity for legal hoonage.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/10/14 9:47 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Why I don't autocross...to many people who take it way too seriously and I just don't get why? There are rules, and some people are passionate about the details and interpretations of those rules. I've tried to care, but to me it's just an opportunity for legal hoonage.

You do understand that there isn't a requirement that YOU take is seriously. There isn't even a requirement that you talk to people who take it that seriously.

Just sayn.

rotard
rotard Dork
12/10/14 10:19 a.m.

People that do take it that seriously are pretty good at ruining it for everyone else, though.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/10/14 10:27 a.m.

Pretty sure at the Drivers' Meeting they said you can't hit cones. You hit one.

Please don't do track days or team sports.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/10/14 10:30 a.m.

A corollary to the "don't take it too seriously" rule is "don't jump all over the new guy trying to figure out what does, and doesn't, fly in his chosen sport." Asked and answered. Let the poor guy up now.

Margie

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WkWnb5LvGruFsuKY8DFgBRjpCtTCfQGi6xGcCUaPOxUUS1Mp0RY7UA3kZzxJ4EHn