1 2 3 4 ... 6
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/17/09 7:51 a.m.

Triumphs's inline six was great despite its many faults.

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
6/17/09 8:09 a.m.
RossD wrote: +1 to the inline 6 from the jeep/amc stuff. I've always thought that it would be a good idea to slap a turbo on the engine since it has the intake and exhaust manifold on the same side. Makes for some short plumbing

Good idea!

Not a work of art but a very good motor no the less.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/17/09 8:23 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I've always wanted to take a Supra turbo drivetrain & stick it in something like an old Cuda.

I have really been wanting to stuff this:

into this:

RB26DE swapped Lincoln LS + 6spd w/lsd FTMFW!!!

I know, Im weird

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/09 9:05 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Chevy 230, but I'm biased. My best friend's dad in high school had a 65 Nova wagon with a built 230 with dual carbs. I've never seen anyone shift a 3 on the tree so fast before or since.

I'm not sure if it was a great engine or not, but I had a '64 Chevy pickup with a 230 and three-on-the tree. I really loved shifting that thing.

But what I really wanted to swap in was the Chevy 292 "Hi-Torque", with the same three speed transmission.

I also had a thing for the Pontiac OHC Six, although they're big and heavy.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/09 9:16 a.m.

Interesting thread because of the affinity for old, inneficient engines. The ford 300 for instance is bulletproof, but weighs more than a big block V8!

I'm sorry that they put a V6 in the new Camaro, The 4200 I6 puts out almost as much power, and is in keeping with the old days when base model musclecars came with an I6.

About having the intake and exhaust on the same side being a good thing. Wha? smaller ports and more heat absorbtion into the intake isn't good, and if you're gonna turbo, you'll likely want an intercooler anyway, so having the turbo on the opposite side from the intake would seem to be best.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/09 9:22 a.m.

When they were developing the 4200 there was a story about how they made one of the first cranks (welded a couple of QUAD4 cranks together was the rumor) The story claimed that after mock up, fitting and test firing the engineers built a turbo manifold with a big diesel turbo on it then bolted the engine down to a dyno and ran it until it popped. Supposedly it made 600+ HP before breaking the welded crank. Final test assembly engines were capable of up to 750hp with the same tune.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
6/17/09 9:33 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I think a better question would be if there's an UNcool inline 6. Talking just about the engine here, not the chassis it may or may not be burdened by.

Ditto... the Slant 6, any BMW I-6 and the 5.9L 12V Cummins are my personal favs...

the Ford 300... not so much... not that it's a bad engine, but IMO, SBF V8's are better. More power, better economy, easier to service and still stone-reliable.

I agree about the intake and exhaust on the same side comment... old Volvo and Triumph engines are both that way... a bit annoying...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/17/09 1:42 p.m.

My personal favorite: the Jag 3.8 and 4.2 inline 6. Heavy as a house but man does it make power (at least by the standards of the time) and sound sweet.

Sorry, the Jag 4.0 just doesn't cut it. Sure, it includes all kinds of newfangled engineering and all, but it looks... so... plain. It looks like it could have been built by Buick.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/17/09 1:52 p.m.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the S54 yet.

Only issue is Auto-x. BMWs with S52s get grouped in B classes. Stick the S54 in the same chassis and get bumped up to A, despite making virtually identical torque below 5500.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/17/09 1:53 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I like this one and the car also http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852821779&pagename=Page&site=FOA&c=DFYPage

Dammit, why can't Ford bring some nice Utes to the states?!? The closest thing to a Ute sold in the US recently is the Subaru Baja.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/17/09 2:32 p.m.

I've only ever driven one inline six, the 2.5 BMW, but according to my dad (hey, I'm nineteen... I don't have much experience) the best engine he's had was his 3.2 Benz

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/17/09 3:51 p.m.

Cool, now all I need is research the motors. All I know is that more and more companies are going for v6s for packaging reasons.

I think the better question is which I6s are not cool as has been suggested. It is nice to find out other cars with cool inline 6s so thanks for the comments.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/17/09 4:30 p.m.

My Jeep 4.0 H.O. just turned 250K miles.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/17/09 4:33 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Triumphs's inline six was great despite its many faults.

And sounded GREAT!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/09 4:36 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Sorry, the Jag 4.0 just doesn't cut it. Sure, it includes all kinds of newfangled engineering and all, but it looks... so... plain. It looks like it could have been built by Buick.

Hey now! It may not have been an I-6, but the 100% Buick designed "nailhead" V8 was one of the prettiest engines of all time, and made some serious power to boot. 440 FtLbs of Torque from 401ci was unheard of in 1959!

The only roadster/hot rod I would even remotely consider building is a '32 Roadster with a Buick 401 nailhead and 3 deuces. Back it up with a T-10 4-Speed and leave the fenders off.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
6/17/09 4:44 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm not sure if it was a great engine or not, but I had a '64 Chevy pickup with a 230 and three-on-the tree. I really loved shifting that thing. But what I really wanted to swap in was the Chevy 292 "Hi-Torque", with the same three speed transmission. I also had a thing for the Pontiac OHC Six, although they're big and heavy.

The 230 was a good motor. My dad had a thing for those 292s. We put one in my 69 Chevelle with a 3spd. It was a fun car for a 17 yr old.

These guys run only inline 6 motors, and have a pretty good handle on how to make them go.

http://www.vintagemods.com/

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
6/17/09 4:51 p.m.

I like the ol 5MGE in my Supra a lot. It may weigh a ton and not make much HP/Liter but its sounds cool with the DOHC 2 valve arrangement and it looks pretty darn cool too.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
6/17/09 6:01 p.m.

Yeah, I had the destroked version (2ltr instead of 2.5) in my GT6. I think the Vitesse sedan had the same engine.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
6/17/09 6:02 p.m.

Has anyone ever had one of the old Pontiac OHC sixes? I always thought you could do something cool with one of those.

http://www.classicaldrives.com/50226711/pontiac_ohc_straightsix_finally_gets_some_respect.php

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
6/17/09 6:36 p.m.

The best I6 IMO came from a lorry or something:

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
6/17/09 7:01 p.m.

By far is the Chrysler 265 hemi from it came in the awesome Chrysler Valiant Charger.

Find out more!

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
6/18/09 9:31 a.m.

Vortec 4200 in a Supra?

Greg

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
6/18/09 9:35 a.m.
Salanis wrote: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the S54 yet.

Umm... it was in the second post of this thread...

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
6/18/09 9:36 a.m.

I have two of those, one in each TVR. It's a smooth and torquey engine, but doesn't have enough main caps or good flowing heads to make a lot of power. However, my buddy has one in his 2500M that makes 280 hp naturally aspirated. It's a fantastic engine, but I think he has about $25k into it. You really have to consider the wisdom of doing that!

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
6/18/09 9:38 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote: By far is the Chrysler 265 hemi from it came in the awesome Chrysler Valiant Charger. Find out more!

Damn... just added that to my "if I win the lottery" list...

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PbbkM8w7RXMx1ft7DtW5kYhfMeHFnLsLDi7DZeaiHzK4SjCD67ZnS05HcoylY3GS