Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/19/12 2:34 p.m.

Saw this in Pull-A-Part yard today . . .

The Lincoln didn't have a dented panel on it with a little surface rust . All the bright work was good and clean.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
8/19/12 2:35 p.m.

poor car.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
8/19/12 2:36 p.m.

Damn, always loved those... Reversed-hinged hood AND suicide doors FTMFW!!!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/19/12 2:43 p.m.

There was also a complete 3.2 auto SHO out there too . . .

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/19/12 5:36 p.m.

I've always wanted one of those.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/19/12 6:00 p.m.

That is very cool. If you have a high-rez photo (ideally one that doesn't crop anything, either) e-mail it to me. It might work well for Classic Motorsports's Ran When Parked section. I have a friend at that magazine; I can forward the image.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/19/12 7:04 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Will do . . .

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/12 7:25 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Saw this in Pull-A-Part yard today . . . The Lincoln didn't have a dented panel on it

Except for the hood ;)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/19/12 7:42 p.m.

It always amazes me what shows up at the boneyard. A few months ago a Fiat x1/9 came in with an interior right out of the show room. Looked brand new. So how does an owner let that go when you could part it out for more than you could get for scrap? I did my part..........I took the gauge cluster, all switches, shift knob, interior lights, ash tray, steering wheel and center console. Couldn't get the seats as I drove the Miata to the yard. Someone had to do it! It was a real treat.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/19/12 7:43 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Saw this in Pull-A-Part yard today . . . The Lincoln didn't have a dented panel on it with a little surface rust . All the bright work was good and clean.

I see about one hundred things in that photo that I would get.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
8/19/12 9:56 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: Saw this in Pull-A-Part yard today . . . The Lincoln didn't have a dented panel on it
Except for the hood ;)

looks like someone was trying to figure out why the hood wouldn't open, so they pried on the front edge.. i wonder if they ever figured out the were doing it wrong?

i had one of those once- a 66.. it was a cruiser and weighed in at 5400 pounds on the local grain scale without me in it. the car was almost 30 years old when i had it (1994), but everything on the car still worked except for the driver's side door window. the AC was cold and worked perfectly, right down to the dial where you set the temp you wanted and it kept the inside of the car at that temp. even the cruise control and vacuum operated power door locks worked perfectly. Ford had some pretty damn smart engineers working for them in the mid 60's..

it drove like a new car, but it was rusting out in a few important places- most significantly where the rear door hinges attached to the body.

i had 10 people in that car once- 2 of which were in the trunk- and no one felt crowded. no one was wearing a seatbelt, but we were all 19 years old and thus still immortal..

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/19/12 10:42 p.m.

So the real question is: What shape was the frame in?

Early to mid-60's BOF Fords had an issue with rusting frames. My uncle has had a couple mid-60s Mercury's whose frames broke in half and we had a Convertible version of the Lincoln in the pic, that had a rusted frame that actually snapped in half while sitting in the corner of the shop awaiting restoration.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/19/12 11:06 p.m.

I don't know . . . I was searching for a Mark VIII and saw it there. I have to go back out there tomorrow . . I'll peek around it. . .

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/19/12 11:53 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So the real question is: What shape was the frame in? Early to mid-60's BOF Fords had an issue with rusting frames. My uncle has had a couple mid-60s Mercury's whose frames broke in half and we had a Convertible version of the Lincoln in the pic, that had a rusted frame that actually snapped in half while sitting in the corner of the shop awaiting restoration.

Umm... Frame?

No frame in Lincolns from 1961 to 1970...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/20/12 7:25 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So the real question is: What shape was the frame in? Early to mid-60's BOF Fords had an issue with rusting frames. My uncle has had a couple mid-60s Mercury's whose frames broke in half and we had a Convertible version of the Lincoln in the pic, that had a rusted frame that actually snapped in half while sitting in the corner of the shop awaiting restoration.
Umm... Frame? No frame in Lincolns from 1961 to 1970...

Well considering I was 13 at the time the Lincoln broke in half at the shop, I to this day didn't even realize they were a monocoque chassis.

It makes more sense why it broke in half now.

PullAPart
PullAPart
9/7/12 7:17 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Saw this in Pull-A-Part yard today . . . The Lincoln didn't have a dented panel on it with a little surface rust . All the bright work was good and clean.

At which Pull-A-Part did you find this beauty? http://pullapart.com/locations.aspx

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
9/7/12 2:43 p.m.

My uncle had one of these and let me loose with it. I remember being really impressed by the fact that it had power vent windows along with power everything else. Of course, my car was a '67 beetle at the time, so it didn't take much to impress me.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
9/7/12 3:21 p.m.

Because Kennedy.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
9/7/12 3:25 p.m.

“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

The Car

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/7/12 4:00 p.m.

I saw a two door Mercury Topaz DIESEL at the local pull a part not too long ago. It even had a manual transmission. No telling how rare that car was.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
9/7/12 4:28 p.m.

I saw a Topaz diesel on the back half of a new car lot at the tiny Ford dealer in "middle of nowhere's", Texas. The front of the lot was crowded with trucks and SUVs. That particular Topaz was a 4 door, and I think I remember it being an automatic (just being a Topaz with a manual transmission makes it VERY rare). From looking at the window sticker (it was a new car), it appeared to have nearly every possible option you could get on a 4 door Topaz.

I'll bet I've seen nearly as many Lincoln Mark VII diesels, as I have Tempo AND topaz diesels (no more than 2 or 3 ).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RgiesI4cCHXDZFZg0Amh9zL15Yk5Q0sweVlRwuKreG3hpsGsQntY0qhm2mkBRyKS