ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
10/6/09 6:05 p.m.

So I know everybody on here likes cop cars, so do I. However, my cop car doesn't like me right now. It refuses to start.

I bought me an 89 Crown Vicky cop car with a 351W last week at a very challenge friendly price, but it has no spark. I've replaced the ignition coil and the ignition control module, with no luck. The cap and rotor are new looking and the brass are super clean. It cranks and cranks and cranks, and there is fuel in going to the carb plus a can of starter fluid.

So, anybody got any bright ideas? Help is much appreciated.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/6/09 7:25 p.m.

grr i want a freakin crown vic :(...

possible grounds... or wiring to the coil?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
10/6/09 7:30 p.m.

grounds are the first thing i would check.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
10/6/09 7:34 p.m.

Ok, so some updates. Like an idiot I forgot to test weather the new coil was sparking to the dizzie. It is, but weakly. Its a 'second line' coil from napa, it was the only thing they had in stock at the time. Also, the carb is a variable venturi carb.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
10/6/09 7:37 p.m.

Battery grounds or coffee grounds? The battery is well grounded to the chassis and engine. I haven't yet opened up any wire looms.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
10/6/09 7:43 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: Also, the carb is a variable venturi carb.

I thought you said it didn't have spark. Did you test with a plug pulled, yet?

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
10/6/09 8:01 p.m.

It didn't have spark before the dizzie when i tested the old coil. I replaced the coil, and checked the spark on the no 1 spark plug wire, but forgot to test it before the dizzie. So now there is a weak spark coming out of the coil, but nothing from the dizzie. It moves, cap and rotor are new and clean. I think there just may not be enough spark, could it be something keeping the coil from getting power? Or do I just need a better coil? Something that says MSD on it perhaps?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/09 8:34 p.m.

Can't hurt, right?

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
10/6/09 9:12 p.m.

Just the pocket book.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
10/7/09 3:12 a.m.

Well, I ordered a coil from Summit, and this one says MSD on the side. Hopefully this will encourage the car to put spark into the cylinders. If not, it looks cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0qqdsBA3ynpd8B3fn60NYyrqmAhfjYYsT5EDubegLXGeimw8bVHYbnfawfWRyQqF