SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 1:44 p.m.

Anybody know the width between the framerails of a '67 Corvair? It's a convertible Corsa, if it matters.

I need up front, middle, and rear.

I'd also love to know the distance from the center line of the front wheels to the firewall.

Thanks!

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/23/09 2:24 p.m.

Not off hand, but I know it will slip right over a Monte Carlo frame. The inside of the 'Vair is the same as the outside of a Monty.

Same wheelbase as a Monty too.

Is this what you're thinking?

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/23/09 2:29 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Not off hand, but I know it will slip right over a Monte Carlo frame. The inside of the 'Vair is the same as the outside of a Monty. Same wheelbase as a Monty too. Is this what you're thinking?

Interesting. Hmmmm...........

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/23/09 2:39 p.m.

Monty SS 305, T-10 4 speed.

Slips over like it was meant to be....

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/23/09 2:57 p.m.

Hey Dan,

Nice hood brace

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 3:08 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Not off hand, but I know it will slip right over a Monte Carlo frame. The inside of the 'Vair is the same as the outside of a Monty. Same wheelbase as a Monty too. Is this what you're thinking?

No, but I like it!

There's a car I wish had been finished...

Am I seeing that the sill rails of the 'Vair fit outside the frame rails of the Monte?

Does the 'Vair have a "real" frame, or is it more of a unibody?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 3:12 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Is this what you're thinking?

My idea's got 60% more hp than the stock Monte SS, and drives all 4 wheels.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/09 3:27 p.m.

oh do tell

aircooled
aircooled Dork
2/23/09 3:56 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Does the 'Vair have a "real" frame, or is it more of a unibody?

Nope, its a unibody. There are of course frame rails that run from the front bumper all the way to the rear bumper, but they are completely integrated / welded into the body pieces. Separating them would be effectively impossible.

I can probably get you those measurements later (I have my car at work but no tape measure). I am pretty sure the frame rails are straight all the way from the front to the back.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 4:11 p.m.

Hmmm...

That might help...

...a LOT!

I assume you are saying the "frame rails" are what I'd call the "sill rails", running along the sides of the car under the doors. Correct?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/23/09 4:24 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
914Driver wrote: Is this what you're thinking?
My idea's got 60% more hp than the stock Monte SS, and drives all 4 wheels.

Didja find a wrecked Syclone, perhaps?

aircooled
aircooled Dork
2/23/09 4:51 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Hmmm... I assume you are saying the "frame rails" are what I'd call the "sill rails", running along the sides of the car under the doors. Correct?

You got me thinking, so I had to go outside and looks:

You are correct. I thought there was a box structure running inboard the sills, but what is actually there is a box structure that "bridges" the "frame" rail to the sill near the front door seam. This structure is only about a foot and a a half long and I am pretty certain uses the floor as it's top.

I did take a quick frame measurement in the engine compartment (which I believe is the same as the front, but not sure) and it is approximately 35" between with a 2" frame. I can get you the other measurements when I get home.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/23/09 7:18 p.m.

Hey 914Driver do you have more pictures of that build?

iceracer
iceracer Reader
2/23/09 7:41 p.m.

I saw a very nice version of what 914 driver is talking about at a Corvair convention a couple of years ago. Looked exactly like a Corvair but with the frame and running gear of not sure what car, maybe Monte Carlo. The frame rails fit inside of the rocker panels very neatly.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 8:36 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Hey 914Driver do you have more pictures of that build?

I think that's about as far as he got.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/23/09 8:36 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
SVreX wrote: Hmmm... I assume you are saying the "frame rails" are what I'd call the "sill rails", running along the sides of the car under the doors. Correct?
You got me thinking, so I had to go outside and looks: You are correct. I thought there was a box structure running inboard the sills, but what is actually there is a box structure that "bridges" the "frame" rail to the sill near the front door seam. This structure is only about a foot and a a half long and I am pretty certain uses the floor as it's top. I did take a quick frame measurement in the engine compartment (which I believe is the same as the front, but not sure) and it is approximately 35" between with a 2" frame. I can get you the other measurements when I get home.

Excellent!

Thanks!

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/23/09 11:16 p.m.

Check this out! http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_0904_1969_chevy_corvair/index.html

aircooled
aircooled Dork
2/23/09 11:20 p.m.

OK, I took a tape measure to it:

The front and rear frame rails are 35" between with 2" rails.

The firewall is 16" to the rear of the center line of the front axles. (not much)

The "frame" at the center part of the car (sills) are approximately 54" apart and 3" or 4" wide (they aren't square)

The rails at the front start to widen about 8" to the rear of the front axles, running out towards the door sills. The rails at the rear start to widen at the front of the rear wheel arc to meat the sill in a similar way as the front.

108" wheel base if I remember correctly.

Also of note is that only the top foot or so of the firewall is visible from the trunk. The lower part is behind a bulkhead that covers the gas tank.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
2/23/09 11:30 p.m.

Here is more! http://popularhotrodding.automotive.com/61247/0805phr-1967-chevy-corvair/index.html

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/24/09 5:52 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Sultan wrote: Hey 914Driver do you have more pictures of that build?
I think that's about as far as he got.

I have more, and yes, that's about as far as I got. I screwed up. I cut too much sway from the firewall - dash interface. I was trying to channel the car lower and got carried away; I should have lowered the suspension.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/Corvair/

Poke around here, check out the red wagon. These are way lighter than a Monty.

http://v8vairs.com/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MUCiTrub0UXDqvaZU0iHYKZLrzsgpZi7fjLwon1qfHz2yXybuUlK5XKuU0gpqSol