Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/6/14 8:27 a.m.

Yup Cosworth is taking the want-to-be GRM's Miata replacement to a whole new level.

A 380 hp level. All in a nice little box.

Cosworth readies 380bhp Toyota GT86 New ‘Power Pack’ system will turn reasonably priced RWD wonder into a track fiend

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/14 8:46 a.m.

Whoa that's a bit much, they're probably boosting the piss out of the engine to do that...

Their body kit looks good, although I'm not sure about the Supra-like wing.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/6/14 8:48 a.m.

Considering how easy the stock ones spin at autocross this should be entertaining.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/6/14 9:51 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Whoa that's a bit much, they're probably boosting the piss out of the engine to do that... Their body kit looks good, although I'm not sure about the Supra-like wing.

Depends on your definition of "boosting the piss out of the engine." Probably takes far less boost than you think, though psi doesn't really mean anything.

380hp to the crank is FAR less than what some of these cars have been done on stock unopened motors. Modern efficiency and engineering is a wonderful thing.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/6/14 10:18 a.m.

Straight from the Horse's mouth: http://www.cosworth.com/products/power-packages/fa20-platform/stage-1-power-package/

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/14 10:22 a.m.

Oddly their Stage1.3 kit makes the infamous power dip even worse than stock while the stage 1.1 and 1.2 kits improve it...seems like the headers cause that.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
6/6/14 10:27 a.m.

The people who complain that the car does not have enough power are people who would not buy the car anyways.

Not many people who buy it seem unhappy with the power. In my case, there is a list of items that come before "lack of power" in what I would want to improve.

The bottom line is that it is a nice enough car for the price-point. I drive it back and forth to work like 99% of owners and it is a pleasant place to spend the commute.

Certainly not a drag racer, but then, not the point of the car. If you have ego problems, you are going to hate it because Momma with a lead foot in a minivan is going to make you work to keep up in a drag race and even if you do, they have the moral high ground.

More than a bigger HP number, the car shoulda had a 5 speed rather than a 6 speed.

I think the one with the LS2 engine rocks. Hopefully these become the next LSx Swap genre much like the Miata.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/6/14 4:16 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: More than a bigger HP number, the car shoulda had a 5 speed rather than a 6 speed.

Please elaborate...

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/6/14 4:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: infamous power dip...seems like the exhaust design necessitated by the normally-aspirated boxer engine layout causes that.

FTFY.

I hold up exhibit A as evidence:

In all seriousness, a company local to me developed the header for Cosworth. They spent over a year testing and refining, going through multiple dozens of versions to get the weight, output, and fit they acheived. I haven't seen a better-developed aftermarket N/A header for this car.

I too am curious why the 5-speed would be better. The W5x-series seems well-loved, but it is a 40+ year old design. The 6-speed is a little notchy when cold, but I love the gearing.

Having spent most of my life so far in sporty smallbore N/A cars, which usually come with a close-ratio 5-speed, I like having 5 closely-spaced gears that work well for sporty driving or the track, and having a tall sixth stacked on top so I can cruise on the highway at less than 4000rpm.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/6/14 4:35 p.m.

The transmission is yet another variant of the Aisin AZ6, but far enough removed that they're finally calling it different.

I bet his problem with it is that there isn't really an overdrive. So it's just more shifting without any real benefit.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/6/14 4:42 p.m.

Yeah, the center case looks just like the Altezza 6-speed in my AE86!

AFAIK, 6th is overdriven at 0.767:1

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rBFXtBT8RLd8blChbAnv2XYDurNIkD7JZ47zBnnnOTMQKDasr3pofr9EIbLy8mhg